Which AL team do you want to see in the World Series?

Frobby

What AL team would you like to see in the World Series?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What AL team would you like to see in the World Series?

It looks like most people agree that the Twins and Angels are class organizations, but still would like to see the Rays have some unaccustomed glory, despite their abysmal facility ....

That should change in a few years and they will still be a good team while the O's will still be searching for The Plan.

There were actually a fair number (comparatively) of Rays fans at the double-header the other night. Somewhat vocal, too. Particularly the group of guys sitting behind me next to the bullpens, who were incredibly obnoxious. Anyway, I wanted to ask how long they had been fans, seeing how this was literally the first time I'd ever seen Rays fans at Camden Yards.

Baseball has a chance in Tampa just like football has thrived... Some success combined with a worthy venue will equal loyal support. An exciting post season could be just what the doctor ordered to get the support needed for the new venue.

Perhaps, but I doubt if the Rays have much chance to establish a really loyal and large fan base. I give you, for example, the Atlanta Braves, which despite a run of 14 division titles in 15 seasons, still had difficulties getting sellouts for their playoff games in recent years. I don't think the South or the West have the same traditions of baseball fandom that exist in the East and Midwest. The Rays, Marlins, and Diamondbacks have the additional disadvantage that their marketing areas are populated with high numbers of retirees who maintain loyalties to their original teams and get plenty of opportunities to watch baseball in person during spring training.

Perhaps, but I doubt if the Rays have much chance to establish a really loyal and large fan base. I give you, for example, the Atlanta Braves, which despite a run of 14 division titles in 15 seasons, still had difficulties getting sellouts for their playoff games in recent years. I don't think the South or the West have the same traditions of baseball fandom that exist in the East and Midwest. The Rays, Marlins, and Diamondbacks have the additional disadvantage that their marketing areas are populated with high numbers of retirees who maintain loyalties to their original teams and get plenty of opportunities to watch baseball in person during spring training.

Good points, but I do think that winning will convert a lot of those retirees and others to go to Rays games even if they retain their loyalties to other teams. The Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup a few years ago and the fans winning generated seem to have remained loyal. They had solid attendance this year even with a last place team. I don't see why the Rays couldn't follow that same path.

Good points, but I do think that winning will convert a lot of those retirees and others to go to Rays games even if they retain their loyalties to other teams.

My equation of the Tampa market area to the Atlanta area probably is a little strong. Yes, they're both in the South, but they have different demographics. Long time Floridians probably have more in common with Georgians than retirees, specifically the preference for SEC football and NASCAR racing over baseball.

The problem with "converting a lot of retirees" is multi-fold: One, retirees tend to be set in their ways, Two, they don't live that long so that you have to keep converting replacements, Three, their children and grandchildren usually don't live in the area to facilitate the building of family loyalties to a specific team, Four, there are so many other things to do in Florida.

For example, I've been living in Pennsylvania for nearly 15 years, but I haven't formed any attachment to the Phillies, Pirates, or to PSU. My preference for the O's among AL teams predates our move to the East Coast and has more to do with the O's connection to the St. Louis Browns than it does to proximity to Baltimore.

We did pick up some allegiance to the Denver Broncos during our 10 years in Colorado, but that was partly due to the Elway era and partly because I had no allegiance to any St. Louis football team.

My equation of the Tampa market area to the Atlanta area probably is a little strong. Yes, they're both in the South, but they have different demographics. Long time Floridians probably have more in common with Georgians than retirees, specifically the preference for SEC football and NASCAR racing over baseball.

The problem with "converting a lot of retirees" is multi-fold: One, retirees tend to be set in their ways, Two, they don't live that long so that you have to keep converting replacements, Three, their children and grandchildren usually don't live in the area to facilitate the building of family loyalties to a specific team, Four, there are so many other things to do in Florida.

For example, I've been living in Pennsylvania for nearly 15 years, but I haven't formed any attachment to the Phillies, Pirates, or to PSU. My preference for the O's among AL teams predates our move to the East Coast and has more to do with the O's connection to the St. Louis Browns than it does to proximity to Baltimore.

We did pick up some allegiance to the Denver Broncos during our 10 years in Colorado, but that was partly due to the Elway era and partly because I had no allegiance to any St. Louis football team.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out... I hope they do win and we can find out once and for all if Tampa is a viable market.

Everything you say here makes a lot of sense although when I see hockey thriving in Tampa it gives me some confidence that baseball can as well under the right circumstances. I.e. the Rays getting a decent venue.

If the Dodgers make it to the World Series, then I'd love to see them play the Red Sox. Manny, Nomar and Derek Lowe going up their old team would be a great thing to see.

Also, as old as both teams are, I don't think the Dodgers and Red Sox have ever met in the World Series -- unless it was way back.

I can't root for the Rays or the Twins this year. I hate indoor baseball. Let them get new stadiums first.

Everybody wants a good matchup for the WS. Cubs/Red Sox would be great too, as would Cubs/Angels.

From the NL, I'd like to see the Dodgers go all the way.

The Brewers are an annoying bunch of juvenile twits who managed to get their manager fired. Maybe Ned Yost deserved it (I don't pay that much attention to opposing managers), but his players definitely set him up for the sack.

I've disliked the Phillies more than anyone else in the NL (except the Mets "Pond Scum") for years.

Pinella seems to be a fairly good manager, and Derek Lee seems to be a class act but Carlos Zambrano is an arrogant, head-hunting AH.

Most of all, I'd like to see Joe Torre win a world championship and then NOT rub Hank Steinbrenner's nose in it. It's a lot easier to dislike the Yankees since Torre has been fired.

It would be nice to see the Rays come out of the AL playoffs, but I'd settle for anyone except the Red Sox.

I still recall the virtually unanimous condemnation of the Brewers for firing Yost, but it did seem to reverse the free fall, didn't it?

Archived