Going for the Sweep (vs. NATIONALS, 8/09)

OFFNY

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

With Judge and Stanton both out they'd probably only win 18 out of 20.  All the O's have to do is win those first two.

You're right, we need to pass Tampa and grab that #4 or #5 seed.   Then we'd likely face the 2nd place Central team.

• Haha 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Did he?  Wasn't watching.  Back in the day he was 99+ pretty much every fastball.

I wasn't wastchig either.   Was listening on the radio driving home from work and pretty sure I recall (Arnold?) say he was at 99 on one pitch.

I gotta hand  it to the O’s and 105.7 The Fan. In a rain delay, MASN syndicates whatever is on ESPN. The Fan interviews Brooks Robinson live! Like, there’s no comparison. If we’re in a rain delay, TUNE IN to the radio. Love it!

They also played a rerun of the 1989 Why Not 30 year anniversary celebration earlier.

46 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Didn't he hit 99 today?

Yes twice and a 98.  Once on the black outside and the ump blew the call because Holaday was set up high.  Then the K of Difo was 99 again on the following pitch

Edited by bobmc

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The bullpen has warts for sure, but if this offense doesn't figure out how to hit good pitching in the playoffs, the bullpen won't matter. Even I got a little excited when they put 5 and 9 up on the board Tues and Wed, and then it crashed back to reality last night when I remembered they were facing Schmidt and Stroman. When facing a real ace like Cole they were completely shut down. What's gonna happen next week when they face Skubal, Reagins, and/or Lugo? The mediocre bullpen won't matter if they can't figure out how to score some runs off pitchers like that...
    • Why carry four 1 inning guys over a LH long option? Cionel stinks and should not be on the roster over Povich when you still have Akin, Coulombe and Soto.
    • Really would be nice to win tonight OR have DET lose so then they can play around Sat/Sun when the games would have no bearing on the seeding. Dont want this to come down to Sunday and having to win to get the 4 seed or then there will be some tough decisions that have to be made.
    • Looking for a big performance from him next week. This is why he’s here. 
    • It was R-R-L-R coming up. Cano is the guy Hyde matches up against the toughest hitters. Yes, those guys got to him the previous game but that is his job and Hyde also probably saw a redemption opportunity to get his confidence back after a tough outing. I don't see why that was bad move except in hindsight it didn't work out. Congrats if you called it in the game thread. 
    • Soto and Judge are both first ballot Hall of Famers when they retire.  Soto is younger than Adley, has a career bWAR over 36, and dominated the 2019 postseason as a 21 year old. Folks probably weren't paying much attention to him or the Nats back then, but he has been a force ever since being called up in 2018. And Judge...not sure why nobody else saw value in a six and a half foot man with a ton of raw power, but good for them for nailing that 32nd pick in the draft. Having these guys 2 and 3 in the lineup is such a game changer, because there is so much pressure on the opposing pitchers to not screw up with any of their other 7 hitters.  One guy you may be able to get around.  But 2.....much harder.   That being said, I do think it is more about us losing the division than anything else.  Tampa showed us last year how to keep fighting in spite of injuries. Those guys were decimated and were like a relentless swarm of bees hanging around us all the way until the last weekend.  They won 99 games with an extremely depleted pitching staff and a slew of no-name hitters who kept coming up with big hits.  We lost this division by playing uninspired, unclutch, and lame baseball for three full months.  And amazingly, we will have gone all of July, all of August, and all of September without so much as a 4 game winning streak.   Winning the season series against every division opponent for the second year in a row is something I am very happy about after years of being a doormat. I am sorry we couldn't win the division, but I am also glad to be playing next week and not sitting at home waiting to play a team on a high after winning a playoff series. 
    • It's game 160 tonight and we just discovered our bull pen has warts? Elias's fault, Hyde's fault - we've had ample threads of he sucks, they suck, fire him, demote him, etc.  Well we are off to the playoffs and the pen may be the reason we don't go far. And if so I doubt few on here will be surprised. It is what it is going forward with some but not necessarily significant adjustments. We play this year out with the hand we can put together - next Monday. Till then, just win one in Minnasota for the bottom line. Last night is over and IMO really didn't teach us anything we didn't already know. 
  • Popular Contributors