Rules Question

Abadie

After watching the Twins/Minnesota game last night I had an interesting thought cross my mind.

In the 10th inning Bobby Jenks was looking a bit wild to me. With runners on 1st and 3rd and 2 outs, (while it may not be practical) could the White Sox's have put a player behind the catcher to help with a wild pitch? Is that against the rules? Thanks in advance.

I can't imagine that would be allowed, because you'd be stationing a player in foul territory. Also, it wouldn't make any sense. You'd have to move one of your regular position players out of their spot and create a gigantic hole. No sane manager would do it (although we are talking about Ozzie Guillen...)

I believe the rules state that a fielder is not allowed to position himself in foul territory at the pitch.

I recall that some manager once upon a time made a stink about this when a 1B (I believe it was Keith Hernandez) would have his left foot in foul territory as he held runners on. IIRC, MLB made the guy change his stance to have both feet in fair territory.

I believe the rules state that a fielder is not allowed to position himself in foul territory at the pitch.

I recall that some manager once upon a time made a stink about this when a 1B (I believe it was Keith Hernandez) would have his left foot in foul territory as he held runners on. IIRC, MLB made the guy change his stance to have both feet in fair territory.

This is correct. Only the catcher is allowed to station himself in foul territory prior to a pitch.

4.03 When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory.

(a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher’s box until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.

PENALTY: Balk.

(b) The pitcher, while in the act of delivering the ball to the batter, shall take his legal position;

© Except the pitcher and the catcher, any fielder may station himself anywhere in fair territory.

Archived