Is Puig an option again ...Will Elias do it?

Roll Tide

10 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

If you are going to bring up Mountcastle I don't see how Puig fits really. 

Maybe they aren’t .... or prefer to DH or 1B him.

Puig has a reputation for good defense and a strong arm

Outside of Hays the Orioles are poor defensively.

And Mullins is offensively challenged.

34 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Besides Puig, the only other OF free agents I see listed are Ben Zobrist, Austin Jackson, and Jacoby Ellsbury. What's the story with those 3? 

Off the top of my head, Zobrist is old, Jackson hasn't played in awhile and was like a .650 OPS type and Jacoby Ellsbury is always hurt and terrible.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Besides Puig, the only other OF free agents I see listed are Ben Zobrist, Austin Jackson, and Jacoby Ellsbury. What's the story with those 3? 

Zobrist already wasn’t playing this year even before Covid:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/former-cub-ben-zobrist-isnt-retired-he-has-no-plans-play-2020%3famp

What Moose said on the other two.  

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Maybe they aren’t .... or prefer to DH or 1B him.

Puig has a reputation for good defense and a strong arm

Outside of Hays the Orioles are poor defensively.

And Mullins is offensively challenged.

This would make more sense if Puig could play CF.  He has started a grand total of 60 games in CF in his career and none since 2016.  Also, I assume you mean poor defensively in the OF.  I would not say we are poor defensively in the infield, especially on the left side. 

3 hours ago, Big Mac said:

This would make more sense if Puig could play CF.  He has started a grand total of 60 games in CF in his career and none since 2016.  Also, I assume you mean poor defensively in the OF.  I would not say we are poor defensively in the infield, especially on the left side. 

Yes ....Puig is an outfielder 

Hayes will be back soon .....LF is weak with Smith and RF isn’t much better with Santander. Obviously he will lay somewhere due to hi offense.

He has played some CF so he could probably fill in....not that I’d want him to be our starting CF

• 3 months later...

Doesn't make a ton of sense to me, assuming Mancini is actually ready to go.

Mancini/Santander/Mountcastle/Stewart would seemingly be penciled in for 1B/LF/RF/DH with Diaz on deck by mid-season.

Puig may well be an improvement on Stewart or even Santander/Mancini, but this is hardly the season to be focusing on marginal win improvements at the cost of short-term free agent signings.

Maybe a L/R platoon situation with Stewart, plus filling in for Mancini once or twice a week and Santander and Mountcastle whenever they need a day off. I assume Mancini won't be playing 155 games.

Puig is only 30 (in two weeks), but I'm not sure how he could get a multi-year deal now considering he couldn't get one last off-season.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'd honestly rather just run DJ Stewart out there everyday for a full season and try to see what he has to offer the team over the longer term, but I guess we could potentially flip Puig for a pair of C prospects at the trade deadline if he is playing pretty well. 

Most likely Puig gets a better offer from another team for more money, and I also prefer playing Stewart everyday. It’s sink or swim time for him if he’s going to play 140 games a season.