Rangers Upset Padres Ran Up Score

Can_of_corn

Tatis was forced to apologize last night after missing the take sign and hitting a grand slam on a 3-0 count with his team up big on the Rangers.

You read that right, he was forced to apologize.  Tingler, his manager, used to work for the Rangers and was unhappy with Tatis.

The Rangers threw behind the next hitter, Machado.

I for one feel pretty bad for the Rangers, having a team run up the score like that on you is pretty disrespectful.

Lots of clips at the link below.

https://www.radio.com/973thefansd/sports/san-diego-padres/tatis-tingler-and-davies-discuss-mondays-win

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The Braves gave us 7 runs in the ninth inning of a game just last week.

There is no mercy rule in baseball and the Padres manager not supporting his player is trash.

I don’t know exactly what happened with the Rangers last night, but after the 30 to 3 game with the Rangers, I remember a journalist asking Ron Washington why he didn’t bring in his scrubs for the last few innings, and he basically said, “nope, if we want to pile on, we get to pile on all we want and it’s their job to stop us.“

I was furious, what a terrible attitude, and very unsportsmanlike. Yes, there Is no mercy rule in baseball, so what.

I think the Blue Jays also did that to the Rangers once, a 3-0 fastball down the middle that got whammed for a homerun.

edit: No I remember what it was it was about the Cowboys and the Eagles, when Buddy Ryan was coaching the Eagles. The Eagles Had walloped the Cowboys,Had walloped the Cowboys,And I think it was the final play the game when the cowboys are just running out the clock Ryan called for a pass that was run 90 yards or so for a touchdown, and the Cowboys coach, I don’t remember his name, was beside himself with rage, And Ryan was like, “suck it up you big baby”

Edited by Philip
Addendum

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But Tingler is the Padres manager.  He shrugged off Machado being thrown behind and tossed his best young player under the bus. 

Perhaps he’s de-escalating because they still play today and doesn’t want Tatis to get thrown at.

I heard him say that Tatis missed a sign.  Was there more “throwing him under the bus” language than that? 

Tingler wasn’t the one insinuating that “those” guys don’t know how to play baseball the proper way that he was raised with.

7 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Perhaps he’s de-escalating because they still play today and doesn’t want Tatis to get thrown at.

I heard him say that Tatis missed a sign.  Was there more “throwing him under the bus” language than that? 

Tingler wasn’t the one insinuating that “those” guys don’t how to play baseball the proper way that he was raised with.

I think having him apologize counts as throwing him under the bus.  I think he was worried his old buddies with the Rangers would be upset with him.  I also have no idea why he was so blase about Machado being thrown at.  I have to wonder if it had been someone other than Machado if the Umps would have ejected the pitcher.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Why have a take sign 3-0, bases loaded, with a huge lead?  Hoping to walk in another run?  I don't think swinging there is a matter of running up the score.  Pretty much the opposite, actually.  He just happened to hit it good.

To me, poor sportsmanship would be looking for walks, stealing bases, and taking an extra base on a hit.  Swinging 3-0?  No.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

I've never even heard of this unwritten rule before, so for both managers to act disappointed to swing at 3-0 count is puzzling. Why is this an unwritten rule? This is just another outdated example of managers injecting themselves into the game, nothing more.