Your Opinion- Hypothetical Player Stat Comparison

Old#5fan

This is pure gold, and I'd love to hear your reasoning. Is it perhaps because he doesn't understand statistics, or perhaps because he's sticking to his guns, even if there is no ammo in them? He hasn't been rude, or calling people idiots like some posters in this thread have him. Why haven't they been banned may be the appropriate question.

He's not necessarily being rude, but he is being purposefully obtuse and it's bordering on trolling. When you're presented repeatedly with irrefutable evidence, you don't act like you weren't told and keep repeating the same false arguments.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no difference in Pena's and Markakis' ability to drive in runs.

Put Markakis in Pena's situation:

Markakis would have 101RBI, to Pena's 102. Thats less than a 1 percent difference, or not enough difference to say that they're any different.

Here's the data:

Situations	RBI per	Pena's PAs	Total RBI		1--		0.083	106		8.8-2-		0.250	64		16.03		0.333	24		8.012-		0.356	50		17.81-3		0.600	20		12.0-23		0.231	18		4.2123		1.000	26		26.0none on		0.027	299		8.0				101

Explanation: Take Markakis' average RBI per plate appearance for each of the 8 possible baserunner situations and multiply by Pena's plate appearances in each situation.

Result: 101 RBI

Case closed.

No way dude!!! Pena's better than Markakis because he's not as good as Markakis. Old #5 Fan said so!!! To hell with your stats sir...I shall ignore them!!!

No way dude!!! Pena's better than Markakis because he's not as good as Markakis. Old #5 Fan said so!!! To hell with your stats sir...I shall ignore them!!!

Actually those particular type of stats show (as the post states) they are virtually identical, yet again which shows me that Pena is doing more with less as he only hits 247 to Markakis' 300! To me if a player is hitting that much lower in average yet equal to another guy hitting 300 he is the better player as he is doing more with less.

One other thought, I happen to wonder if Markakis was a Ray and Pena an Oriole if these posts would be of the same nature? :scratchchinhmm:I highly doubt it.:eek: I see a lot of bias in these posts and statistical usage, but maybe that is just me.

Actually those particular type of stats show (as the post states) they are virtually identical, yet again which shows me that Pena is doing more with less as he only hits 247 to Markakis' 300! To me if a player is hitting that much lower in average yet equal to another guy hitting 300 he is the better player as he is doing more with less.

One other thought, I happen to wonder if Markakis was a Ray and Pena an Oriole if these posts would be of the same nature? :scratchchinhmm:I highly doubt it.:eek: I see a lot of bias in these posts and statistical usage, but maybe that is just me.

He's a better player because he hit's less? :scratchchinhmm:

(:rofl:)

Wow, another 10 pager. I've only read about 1/100th of it, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what was said. Amazing that a real, live human being would spend so much of his time tearing apart the best right fielder in the league, especially when he's on your favorite team.

The hot stove league can't get here soon enough.

I thought batting average was also important to you? If two guys have very similar RBI production (when normalized for effects outside their control), why wouldn't you want the one who does other things well. If Pena does "more with less" then that is already admitting that he has less than Markakis :confused::confused:

He's a better player because he hit's less? :scratchchinhmm:

(:rofl:)

hits less while helping his team as much as the guy hitting much higher! Don't isolate just a part of a sentence to make me look bad. That is not playing fair and surely you must realize that?:(

Wow, another 10 pager. I've only read about 1/100th of it, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what was said. Amazing that a real, live human being would spend so much of his time tearing apart the best right fielder in the league, especially when he's on your favorite team.

The hot stove league can't get here soon enough.

Dogs and cats living together...MASS HYSTERIA!

hits less while helping his team as much as the guy hitting much higher! Don't isolate just a part of a sentence to make me look bad. That is not playing fair and surely you must realize that?:(

That sentence was your conclusion. But I did snip it.

He's a better player because he hit's less but still drives in runs. Ridiculous.

We can't prove you wrong because what you're saying is based entirely on opinion. But, you are in the VERY small minority. I think you know that.

That sentence was your conclusion. But I did snip it.

He's a better player because he hit's less but still drives in runs. Ridiculous.

We can't prove you wrong because what you're saying is based entirely on opinion. But, you are in the VERY small minority. I think you know that.

All I am basically pointing out is that either Nick Markakis hits a very weak 300 or Carlos Pena must be hitting an awesome 247 when they essentially help their team about the same, with Pena perhaps a slight edge. If Pena hit 300 like Markakis he would probably have driven in 160 runs or more! (Just a guess, I am sure someone could do their analysis and it might be off somewhat.) At any rate, I think everyone by now at least sees the overall point I am making here with this. (At least I sincerely hope they do).

All I am basically pointing out is that either Nick Markakis hits a very weak 300 or Carlos Pena must be hitting an awesome 247 when they essentially help their team about the same, with Pena perhaps a slight edge. If Pena hit 300 like Markakis he would probably have driven in 160 runs or more! (Just a guess, I am sure someone could do their analysis and it might be off somewhat. At any rate, I think everyone by now at least sees the overall point I am making here with this. (At least I sincerely hope they do).

But Carlos Pena didn't hit .300, so what's the point of saying that? You are also ignoring Markakis' added benefit of scoring more runs (aka allowing the people behind him to drive him in) by getting on base more often.

Like I said, even if what you're arguing is true (and it's not) do you not realize how silly this argument is? You're saying that Pena is better than Markakis because he's not as good as Markakis. You have been shown that Markakis drives in runs at a higher percentage and you choose to ignore it...and once again there isn't some huge discrepancy in RBIs between the two. Besides, do you not understand the difference between a #2 hitter and a #3/4 hitter? This argument is tantamount to complaining that Brian Roberts doesn't drive in as many as Carlos Pena.

I can't believe enough people responded to Old Fan to make this thread 11 pages. I just shake my head at his ridiculous nonsense (basically the equivalent of trolling, though he isn't smart enough to legitimately troll) and laugh.

Yeah I used to be like this, but now I just pad my post count responding to the idiocy and occasionally post video clips to classic 80s movies.

Archived