Your Opinion- Hypothetical Player Stat Comparison

Old#5fan

But he's not better than Markakis...you've been told this. Lt. Melmo posted the stats that show Markakis is more efficient at driving in runs. Once again, you're choosing to ignore it.

1970 (the Moderator) posted an analysis after Lt Melmo's which shows that Pena was more rbi efficient. His supersedes Lt. Melmo's. Go back and check it if you don't believe me. You apparently missed it somehow.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1970 (the Moderator) posted an analysis after Lt Melmo's which shows that Pena was more rbi efficient. His supersedes Lt. Melmo's. Go back and check it if you don't believe me. You apparently missed it somehow.

I saw it and if you want to be fair, Pena was really only better than Markakis in two of the situations. One of those was with 0 runners on base. So now you're at a point where you're arguing that Pena is better than Markakis because he hits more homeruns. And I also don't think he was showing who was more efficient, just that Pena tended to get more RBIs in his opportunties...presumably because he hits more homeruns. Do you not see how dumb that argument is? Tony Batista hit more homeruns than Nick Markakis. So did Rob Deer, so did Joe Carter, so did Phil Nevin, so did Howard Johnson, etc. Surely you wouldn't try and argue those guys were better than Nick Markakis (well actually you probably will).

What I gather from 1970's (the moderator, not sure why that should mean anything...no offense to 1970 who's statistical analysis' I respect greatly) stats is that Pena is "better" than Markakis at getting RBIs because he has more opportunities and because he just plain has more of them. That's what those stats show to me, anyone can feel free to tell me if I'm interpreting them wrong. That has nothing to do however with who creates more runs, which is clearly more important than who has the good fortune of hitting in more RBI situations.

Do you not realize by now that you're comparing Markakis, a #2 hitter, to a guy that bats #3 or cleanup all year? Pena is being asked to drive in runs. Markakis is being asked to drive in runs, get on base, move runners over, hit for power...basically do everything. They are so fundamentally different, it's not funny. This is like comparing Rickey Henderson to Manny Ramirez, and saying Rickey Henderson wasn't as good because he didn't drive in 100+ RBIs every year. It's a dumb argument because they aren't the same type of player...and RBIs are never a good way to argue who is the better player. You however don't realize that.

Old Fan you are a hoot, and I suspect some sort of maniacal genius. I just can't believe that after all this time there are still people willing to engage you.

Thanks I guess, but I don't think I am maniacal and I know beyond any shadow of a doubt I am not a genious. However, I am stubbornly old school when it comes to my view of baseball, and even the NFL to a major degree. I think it was better in the 60's and even 70's than now.

11 pages of this? You only need to look at one stat.

Markakis, Runs Created/27: 7.70

Pena, Runs Created/27: 7.01

Both are great players...but Nick is better. It also doesn't hurt that he plays a harder defensive position and is younger.

You would think that's all you need, but I and other posters posted those stats to no avail. Oldie just ignores what doesn't support his asinine arguments.

You would think that's all you need, but I and other posters posted those stats to no avail. Oldie just ignores what doesn't support his asinine arguments.

As usual. Maybe he could understand this:

A team of 9 Nick's would win 120 games

A team of 9 Pena's would win 114.

Edit: That team would have a pitching staff with an ERA of 4.5

Archived