The next 12 games are crucial

Bubble Buddy

I have to admit that for the first time in my years of O’s fandom, which started when they first came into the league, I find myself hoping they don’t make whatever postseason there is, that they don’t come from behind, that they don’t win. I want them to get one of the Vanderbilt pitchers, then let it all hang out. When I saw the title of this thread, my reaction was, “Yeah, they might win some of them.” I’m so ashamed!

I don’t consider any of the remaining games to be crucial because I don’t care much about slipping into the playoffs.   It would be fun and all, but I simply don’t see the O’s getting deep into the playoffs in any scenario.    I’m enjoying every win, but more focused on the development of individual players.    What I really want to see is Santander continuing to rake, Mountcastle adjusting well to major league play, Hays getting healthy and contributing, and some pitchers coming up and performing well.    

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t consider any of the remaining games to be crucial because I don’t care much about slipping into the playoffs.   It would be fun and all, but I simply don’t see the O’s getting deep into the playoffs in any scenario.    I’m enjoying every win, but more focused on the development of individual players.    What I really want to see is Santander continuing to rake, Mountcastle adjusting well to major league play, Hays getting healthy and contributing, and some pitchers coming up and performing well.    

I agree with this. Have no interest in taking the focus off the future.

And yet I’ve only been alive for a couple playoff seasons that I really remember (2012, 2014, 2016) and they were all fun as hell. Even that we’re in this position has me watching more games than I normally would during a rebuild season. 

So I want it to keep rolling, because it may not be real playoff baseball in the end, but I think my mind, body, soul won’t know the difference. 

And if we were able to somehow make it in, that would likely mean we kept the Jays out, which would be satisfying in a season I thought we’d finish 30th. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don't know, unless we are actively tanking I would like the team to win. The 2014 Royals snuck in on a tiebreaker, then went on to win the Wild Card, ALDS, ALCS and World Series. Improbable things can happen in short series. Yes, I want the young players to develop but as long as we're hanging around .500 I will be rooting for wins.

'89 was maybe my favorite year ever. We probably had no shot on paper had we made the playoffs. It was still an amazing year. After losing so badly before that, I was just happy to be winning games again. Who knows when the next window will open? Do I think we should go trade for a Glen Davis? Absolutely not.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I agree with this. Have no interest in taking the focus off the future.

And yet I’ve only been alive for a couple playoff seasons that I really remember (2012, 2014, 2016) and they were all fun as hell. Even that we’re in this position has me watching more games than I normally would during a rebuild season. 

So I want it to keep rolling, because it may not be real playoff baseball in the end, but I think my mind, body, soul won’t know the difference. 

And if we were able to somehow make it in, that would likely mean we kept the Jays out, which would be satisfying in a season I thought we’d finish 30th. 

I get little enjoyment out of talking draft picks and rebuilding. I understand it needs to be done, but I watch the games and enjoy wins much more than losses. I hope they win every game they play, make the playoffs and win the WS, regardless of how this season is perceived. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

I get little enjoyment out of talking draft picks and rebuilding. I understand it needs to be done, but I watch the games and enjoy wins much more than losses. I hope they win every game they play, make the playoffs and win the WS, regardless of how this season is perceived. 

I enjoy player development, i.e. checking prospect box scores and profiles, farm system rankings, and then watching guys grow in MLB. But right now, we don't even necessarily have a lot of top prospects from our system on the MLB team.

The possibility of having games that matter 3 years before I was expecting, plus before we've really graduated a lot of players from our system? Sign me up. The last time we had meaningful games was September 2017. It may not last much longer, but I'll certainly be rooting for it to continue, even if it ends up being smoke and mirrors. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy