Gary Thorne is Back

Can_of_corn

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Never understood the love.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Never understood the Joe Buck hate.

Hahahaha...I can understand both. I think he is a very good, very professional play-by-play guy. One of the best, actually. But he is also a little smarmy, and maybe a little smug...and I think he’s played that up a bit in recent years since people have started ribbing him about it and since he’s played kind of an overinflated character of himself on stuff like Brockmire. But when it’s just pure game-calling, I don’t know if there are many better. To me, has a great talent for letting a game breathe. You’ll go a while in a big moment and realize, “Joe Buck hasn’t said anything.” And of course, that’s by design. But so many people can’t do that. 

But for Kevin Brown, I agree on the Buck comparison. I thought that too early on. I think he is a very good play-by-play announcer, and he has a great sense of humor without going too over the top. He already does a decent amount of work with ESPN, but I hope we can keep him around in some capacity for a while.

Honestly, I hope we can keep both Gary and Kevin around for a while. I really enjoy both of their work. I will always love baseball, but they make it more fun. 

• Upvote 1

Also not a fan of Kevin Brown trying to jam in pop culture references wherever he can like he's a poor man's Bill Simmons.  I love pop culture but give it a rest.  The game a week or so ago when he mentioned a band (can't remember who) that Ben McDonald wasn't familiar with and then he feigned being incensed about it was obnoxious.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Also not a fan of Kevin Brown trying to jam in pop culture references wherever he can like he's a poor man's Bill Simmons.  I love pop culture but give it a rest.  The game a week or so ago when he mentioned a band (can't remember who) that Ben McDonald wasn't familiar with and then he feigned being incensed about it was obnoxious.

It was a couple weeks ago, around the time I first started watching a little with the Why Not re-do flirtation.  He was in the booth with Ben, Glenn Gulliver came up in the notes somehow, and the play by play guy (I think Brown, but I don't really know who all the streamers are, except Garceau of course) shoehorned a "I'm sure he was well-traveled" comment in (which i would have been there for if he was Joakim Soria or something, except that the Orioles were Gulliver's only organization).

Anyway, the immediate aftermath of the comment was like 8 solid seconds of dead air...it was magnificent.