Markakis hits 500th double

kidrock

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The bar is set somewhere around Rich Dauer, who was a competent second baseman on some good teams.  14-win career that peaked out at 2.9 WAR in a season.

Both Jones and Markakis passed the Dauer Threshold circa 2013.  I think they go in along with Machado, Tejada, Wieters, Hardy, Schoop, Guthrie, O'Day, Britton, and of course Lew Ford.

Here's an interesting case: Chris Davis.  After 2016 he'd had an 18-win Oriole career.  He's now sitting on 11.

I think Schoop needs a down year for candidates to get in, unless of course he returns tot he team at some point.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Schoop needs a down year for candidates to get in, unless of course he returns tot he team at some point.

The Orioles have years where they don't induct anyone.  I think they should recruit some of us to be a Vet's Committee. I'll get right on my justifications for Pete Stanicek, Jim Dwyer, and a whole truckload of obscure 19th century and International League guys.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Orioles have years where they don't induct anyone.  I think they should recruit some of us to be a Vet's Committee. I'll get right on my justifications for Pete Stanicek, Jim Dwyer, and a whole truckload of obscure 19th century and International League guys.

Do they?  I thought they always found someone even if it wasn't a player.

Then again it isn't something I put a lot of thought into.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

According to this they didn't induct anyone in '14, '16, '17 or '19.

They pretty much cleared their backlog of so-so players from the years when the team was good.   As the key guys from the 2012-16 teams become eligible, there will be more inductions.   I’m glad they’re not lowering the bar any further than it already is.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

They pretty much cleared their backlog of so-so players from the years when the team was good.   As the key guys from the 2012-16 teams become eligible, there will be more inductions.   I’m glad they’re not lowering the bar any further than it already is.   

I will not sleep a wink until Don Welchel has been suitably honored by the Baltimore Orioles.

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's a little funny to see Joe Medwick called a poor HOFer.  He had a legit peak, lots of black ink from '34-38.  Got MVP votes in eight different years, all star 10 straight years when they had normal rosters.  A 6, 7, and 8-win season on his record, plus another four or five 4-win seasons.  Part of the Gashouse Gang.  134 OPS+.  Markakis isn't close to that except for the doubles.

I always thought Perez was a stretch.  Played a lot longer than Medwick but with same career value.  Never led the league in anything as an offense-first 1B/3B.  I think he got a lot of extra credit for having Bench, Morgan and Rose as teammates.

I was just saying they're the worst HOFers with 500 doubles.  In other words, it's a good list.  Ducky and Tony are both a helluva lot better than the real mistakes made for Cooperstown.

The first really questionable enshrinee on the all time doubles list would have to be Harold Baines with 488.  Unless something drastically changes, Markakis would be another mistake.

-edit- forgot Heinie Manush has 491

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I was just saying they're the worst HOFers with 500 doubles.  In other words, it's a good list.  Ducky and Tony are both a helluva lot better than the real mistakes made for Cooperstown.

The first really questionable enshrinee on the all time doubles list would have to be Harold Baines with 488.  Unless something drastically changes, Markakis would be another mistake.

Markakis won’t be in the HOF unless he buys a ticket.    Why the veteran’s committee (or whatever they call it) decided Baines was worthy is beyond me, but that won’t be extended to Markakis.  

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I know that this thread doesnt really belong here, but since it exists, Ill mention that the next double Nick hits will tie him with some guy named Babe Ruth at 506.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He did that tonight.

o

And they both played for the Braves ........

Atlanta Braves's tweet - "Nick has tied Babe Ruth in career doubles!  #ForTheA " - Trendsmap

o

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

-edit- forgot Heinie Manush has 491

Manush isn't an awful selection, at least by the standards of the Vet's Committee and their take on NLers from the 1920s and 30s.  By JAWS and eyeballing it he's as qualified as Jim Rice  But also about on par with Ryan Braun and Charlie Keller.  Had some black ink, a few top-five MVP votes.  So clearly above the Hafey/Baines line, just below average for a HOFer. You'd have to induct about 100 more players to make him really reasonable.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Markakis won’t be in the HOF unless he buys a ticket.    Why the veteran’s committee (or whatever they call it) decided Baines was worthy is beyond me, but that won’t be extended to Markakis.  

Jerry Reinsdorf and Tony LaRussa, specifically LaRussa serving on the "Today's Game" veterans selection committee.