Rays vs O's.

mrbig1

16 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

My cat Nikki passed away today. Our family is devastated. She was 17 years old. Please, if you have a pet or pets, give them extra love and attention tonight. 

I keep some photos of her on this site: https://sokanpets.org 

I need escapism from this horrible, empty feeling. An Orioles win to get them over .500 would be a (small) salve.

Oh yeah! And in a few hours, I'll take my mom to Mercy Hospital in Baltimore to have spine surgery. It's low risk and she's expected to make a full recovery in 2-4 weeks. I'm more worried about her (and my) emotional wellbeing after we lost our treasured furry friend.

Let's go, O's! :( 

I’m sorry to hear and just wanted to say I feel for you. I’m euthanizing my dog Mako, source of my screen name, on Thursday. She’s 14 and has so many problems that will never get better and such poor quality of life that it’s just time. It’s still hard to believe and it’s not even here yet. I hope all works out with your mom and sorry about Nikki. 

• Like 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If you are adopting it doesn't have to be a kitten.  Plenty of adult cats need homes.

I agree.  Our first dog a golden retriever/greyhound mix was 4 years old when we adopted her from the Maryland SPCA.  Our current dog that also came from there had just turned 2 years old.  She is a shepherd/hound mix.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If you are adopting it doesn't have to be a kitten.  Plenty of adult cats need homes.

That's true; but I think there is a balance of selflessness and selfishness in adopting a cat that's less than a year old.

Selfless: While kittens are very "popular" and "most" are probably adopted rather quickly, there are a ton of them that aren't. By adopting a kitten, we're still moving them out of the shelter and freeing up space for another.

Selfish: We don't want to have to go through all this heartache again in a few short years. We would prefer to adopt a kitten or young cat that's healthy, and young enough to be taught things so they can adjust to our house (don't scratch the furniture, etc.) Older cats are much harder to retrain, and we'll be bawling our eyes out again in less time if we get an adult cat.

I'm not at all advocating that we go to a "cat mill" or "breeder" -- I want to rescue a stray. But I think being a little choosy is OK. I know a friend who adopts older cats -- several at a time -- and gives them a comfortable, safe home for the remainder of their lives. Some of them die in less than a year, and some make it a decade or longer with her. I still don't know how she does it -- how does she not just live being a total emotional wreck? 

Nikki was a perfect cat, and I don't think I realized before now how lucky we were to have her. We adopted her as a kitten, too. She molded herself to our family and our routine.

I think the limit on how old we might adopt would be in the vicinity of 6-10 months old. 

• Like 1

Just now, mrbig1 said:

My dog is so spoiled. She runs the house. She is also a O's fan. Stays by my side every game.

4th down in Ravens Super Bowl vs 49ers I was holding my dog for good luck. I didn’t think we would have him much longer 

I was lucky one. He had cancer and made it 4.5 years after diagnosis. Having a golden making it to 13.5 and having cancer on top of it was fortunate. Wasn’t ready for another one for awhile but my son wanted one. Rescue lab mix now. 

1 minute ago, makoman said:

I’m sorry to hear and just wanted to say I feel for you. I’m euthanizing my dog Mako, source of my screen name, on Thursday. She’s 14 and has so many problems that will never get better and such poor quality of life that it’s just time. It’s still hard to believe and it’s not even here yet. I hope all works out with your mom and sorry about Nikki. 

Thank you makoman for your kind words. Please send us pics of Mako somewhere on OH. Make sure to give her extra special love and attention (I'm sure you already are) and help her go peacefully.

22 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

My cat Nikki passed away today. Our family is devastated. She was 17 years old. Please, if you have a pet or pets, give them extra love and attention tonight. 

I keep some photos of her on this site: https://sokanpets.org 

I need escapism from this horrible, empty feeling. An Orioles win to get them over .500 would be a (small) salve.

Oh yeah! And in a few hours, I'll take my mom to Mercy Hospital in Baltimore to have spine surgery. It's low risk and she's expected to make a full recovery in 2-4 weeks. I'm more worried about her (and my) emotional wellbeing after we lost our treasured furry friend.

Let's go, O's! :( 

I'm sorry to hear this. My condolences on your cat (our family has one that's 12 who looks similar) and best of luck with to your mom with surgery. Hope they get some wins for you in the coming days to help take your mind off things. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, makoman said:

Sorry to hear that. Take care. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CynBeth said:

I agree.  Our first dog a golden retriever/greyhound mix was 4 years old when we adopted her from the Maryland SPCA.  Our current dog that also came from there had just turned 2 years old.  She is a shepherd/hound mix.  

Yep, the first thing I do when I retire (probably another 8 or 9 years) will be to get a dog and I'm thinking a 2 or 3 year old shelter dog would be ideal.   With my arthritic knees, which I assume will be worse by then, I'm not sure I'll have the energy for a puppy.