The O's should go for it

wildcard

Just now, wildcard said:

I  think many fans look too much at history and not enough at what is happening on the field.  O's have  the #3 best  offense in the AL.   We have not seen the real Means and Harvey  yet.    Iglesias is the leader of the infield and the Spanish speaking players.  He is about to return. 

It will be such a boost for the rebuild if things fall their way and they get hot at the right time. 

Leader of the Spanish speaking players?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I  think many fans look too much at history and not enough at what is happening on the field.  O's have  the #3 best  offense in the AL.   We have not seen the real Means and Harvey  yet.    Iglesias is the leader of the infield and the Spanish speaking players.  He is about to return. 

It will be such a boost for the rebuild if things fall their way and they get hot at the right time. 

I really hate to be negative, and that is not what I am attempting right now, but I do suggest some realism. What is happening on the field is bad pitching, bad defense, really foolish base running, and good offense from guys who are not currently playing. Valaika and Mullins and Velasquez are not going to an offense.

There are a lot of encouraging things about this team, and it certainly seems to be better then last year’s group. But the starting pitching is really bad, and I mean Nelson Muntz saying, “ha-ha” bad.

I will be disappointed if we make no trades at all, because I think we have several guys who would be of real value to other teams.

But this remains a year of improvement, of journey rather than arrival.

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

I really hate to be negative, and that is not what I am attempting right now, but I do suggest some realism. What is happening on the field is bad pitching, bad defense, really foolish base running, and good offense from guys who are not currently playing. Valaika and Mullins and Velasquez are not going to an offense.

There are a lot of encouraging things about this team, and it certainly seems to be better then last year’s group. But the starting pitching is really bad, and I mean Nelson Muntz saying, “ha-ha” bad.

I will be disappointed if we make no trades at all, because I think we have several guys who would be of real value to other teams.

But this remains a year of improvement, of journey rather than arrival.

I think Givens gets traded.  

I am not saying this is a WS team.   But a  really good offense can help a team a lot.   A healthy Means, Cobb, Milone  and Eshelman can form a decent rotation.  The defense has good range and iglesias coming back is a big plus.  

Even some of the best O's teams had no hit good defense players like Belanger and Dempsey.  So Mullins/Hays do not bother me.  The other guys you mentioned of bench players.  As long as they can hold their own in the field their offense is not a problem as reserves.

And, yes this is a year of improvement and its coming faster than expected.

11 minutes ago, makoman said:

Nope. I don’t get it. 

It implies that the Latin players on the team are some sort of separate entity, separate from the rest of the team, that have a need to have a leader just for them.  Like they can't function properly within the rest of the team dynamic.  Also that they aren't individuals and it is also kinda rude to assume none of the non-Latin players could be bilingual.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think it's likely that Severino (.981 OPS), Iglesias (.977 OPS), Sisco (1.037 OPS), and Santander (.961 OPS) will maintain this level of production.  Once those guys cool off our offense will hit a steep decline.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Givens gets traded.  

I am not saying this is a WS team.   But a  really good offense can help a team a lot.   A healthy Means, Cobb, Milone  and Eshelman can form a decent rotation.  The defense has good range and iglesias coming back is a big plus.  

Even some of the best O's teams had no hit good defense players like Belanger and Dempsey.  So Mullins/Hays do not bother me.  The other guys you mentioned of bench players.  As long as they can hold their own in the field their offense is not a problem as reserves.

And, yes this is a year of improvement and its coming faster than expected.

I hear what you’re saying, but the fact is they aren’t. Means is not healthy, the offense is not really good, at least the offense from the guys who are currently playing. Iglesias isn’t back yet. The bench players are not holding their own in the field.

You’re basically saying, “if this thing is true then things will be great as long as these other things are true as well.” And yes that’s true but that’s an awful long string of maybes.

At the moment we have to look at what is.

8 minutes ago, O's84 said:

I don't think it's likely that Severino (.981 OPS), Iglesias (.977 OPS), Sisco (1.037 OPS), and Santander (.961 OPS) will maintain this level of production.  Once those guys cool off our offense will hit a steep decline.

Some may cool off,  some may improve.   The O's just swapped out Smith for Mountcastle.   Hays probably hits better than he has so far.      There is improvement of individual hitters also.  Overall hitting is contagious.  Put a bunch  of guys together that can hit and they help each other.

Just now, wildcard said:

Some may cool off,  some may improve.   The O's just swapped out Smith for Mountcastle.   Hays probably hits better than he has so far.      There is improvement of individual hitters also.  Overall hitting is contagious.  Put a bunch  of guys together that can hit and they help each other.

How, with trash cans?

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That’s Hyde not Elias....and even if he didn’t think that he’d still say it. His job is to motivate the players, keep them in the game, and keep morale good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, O's84 said:

I'll go a bit further and say it's essentially a 100% lock that their combined OPS this year is going to be 100 points shy of where it is now.  Santander is the only one who is remotely likely to keep that up.

And a very good chance that next year it's going to be 200 points less.

• Upvote 2