The deadline is looming...Is Elias done?

Roll Tide

19 minutes ago, section18 said:

Or Elias is just letting the other teams know he doesn't like their offers enough to pull them from the game today. He could be  negotiating  a deal and one of these players could be added late to a multi player deal. I hope he deals Castro, Cobb and Severino. We have catchers we can replace Severino with. I think he is overrated and is part of the reason none of our pitchers can go six or more innings.I like Holoday and Cisco and we still have Wynns for a few weeks if needed.

Really? You don't think its the slapdi**'s we're running out there every fifth day?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Cobb to the Yankees might make sense if they don't get Lynn. Success in the AL East and they might take his salary

We don't have a ton of need to unload his 2020 salary IMO (that said, it's not my money). Personally, would rather we eat more of his 2021 salary and get a better prospect return.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Givens is the better pitcher but Scott is 4 years younger and has a ton of control, especially cheap control.

He should be worth more just because of that.  

It’s not unusual for guys to take some time to become a dominant reliever.  

Yea, the years of control are a big deal here.

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

We don't have a ton of need to unload his 2020 salary IMO (that said, it's not my money). Personally, would rather we eat more of his 2021 salary and get a better prospect return.

Yeah I think Elias would have to like the players coming back. If they're content to eat salary like we've heard, it doesn't sound like they are under the gun to move Cobb. They've saved a ton of money on both Davis and Cobb this season, though they've also lost a lot of revenue I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Alberto, Santander, Nunez, Severino all in today's lineup (in case anyone thought one of them could be dealt). Of course, that doesn't rule out a deal, but it appears a deal for any of those seem unlikely.

I don't expect anything else from the Orioles today, but maybe we see Castro, Cobb or Fry go somewhere?

I was going to suggest Nunez to the Rockies, who could use a big bat at 1B, but I didn't realize he's under control until 2025 ?

Just now, interloper said:

Yeah I think Elias would have to like the players coming back. If they're content to eat salary like we've heard, it doesn't sound like they are under the gun to move Cobb. They've saved a ton of money on both Davis and Cobb this season, though they've also lost a lot of revenue I'm sure. 

To take this a step further, if we're going to just try and dump salary, no reason to make the move now. Might as well let him play out this relatively cheaper year, re-establish value and deal him in the offseason if that's the primary goal. Maximizing prospect return, there's a bit more reason to deal him now and eat salary.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Givens is the better pitcher but Scott is 4 years younger and has a ton of control, especially cheap control.

He should be worth more just because of that.  

It’s not unusual for guys to take some time to become a dominant reliever.  

Scott has improved, and make no mistake, but he’s still prone to flinging the ball at 97 MPH without any idea where it’s going. His better outings are more common, but we still wonder what’s going to happen. Last time, I think he struck out the side, but not before his first pitch resulted in the deciding run.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Scott has improved, and make no mistake, but he’s still prone to flinging the ball at 97 MPH without any idea where it’s going. His better outings are more common, but we still wonder what’s going to happen. Last time, I think he struck out the side, but not before his first pitch resulted in the deciding run.

I'm still extremely wary of the good numbers Scott is putting up. It's been 13 innings. Maybe we're finally decent at developing pitchers, but it's going to take a much larger sample to determine if Scott is the next big elite lefty reliever.

If we get an excellent offer for him, I move him. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, he is still learning to pitch.

But there is a reason teams are coming after him despite the control issues.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I'm still extremely wary of the good numbers Scott is putting up. It's been 13 innings. Maybe we're finally decent at developing pitchers, but it's going to take a much larger sample to determine if Scott is the next big elite lefty reliever.

If we get an excellent offer for him, I move him. 

Scott is the type of prospect/player that I would rather hold onto and see if he realizes his vast potential (in which case he would most likely be worth more than what received in trade for him today) than to cash him in now when he is not fully baked.