The deadline is looming...Is Elias done?

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

For giving up a good prospect. 

They are one game behind the Yankees and have a pretty good lineup through 6 or 7 spots in the order. 

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m curious. If Toronto wanted a second baseman, why didn’t they just trade for Alberto, who is-recent stupid play excepted- a better all-around player?

He’s not being brought in to replace Biggio. More likely SS or 3B. Panik and Shaw are hitting under .220 and Espinal-250. All three have OBPs under .300.  

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Toronto looks bad for trading for Villar?

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

For giving up a good prospect. 

For giving up a good prospect for approximately 20 games worth of Villar.  

He better have a big impact for them to be worth it.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

The more the Jays want to trade their farm for mediocre guys like Villar and Ray, the better IMO. Walker was a nice pick up, but he's a free agent in a matter of weeks. They got a bunch of guys but, other than maybe Walker, no one who moves the needle.

Agreed. Jays made a bunch of moves that could actually make them worse, or, more likely, not really improve them. And they gave up a bunch of minor league talent in the process.

As someone who disliked the O's both passing on Austin Martin and letting him fall to a division rival, I like seeing the Jays hurt their system without picking up any impact players.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Was Castro a waiver pickup Or did we actually trade something meaningful for him?

On April 7, 2017, Castro was traded to the Baltimore Orioles for cash considerations or a player to be named later (Jon Keller). He debuted for the Orioles on May 17 against the Detroit Tigers, striking out one batter in one scoreless inning of relief. He pitched two scoreless innings the following day as well.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

OK, so he was traded, but not for anything meaningful. I call that a win. I don’t know about Bleier either, but I know Milone was a minor league signing and Guvens was homegrown.

Jo Trezza said we got 9 total guys, Of whom six are players to be named later. I am reasonably happy with what we have gotten, although I wish we had traded a couple of other guys.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

OK, so he was traded, but not for anything meaningful. I call that a win. I don’t know about Bleier either, but I know Milone was a minor league signing and Guvens was homegrown.

Jo Trezza said we got 9 total guys, Of whom six are players to be named later. I am reasonably happy with what we have gotten, although I wish we had traded a couple of other guys.

I’m pretty optimistic about the deals as the cost of things appears inflated for some reason. But ultimately we will see what happen when the season is over. 

By the way...is it after the regular season or after the playoffs

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m pretty optimistic about the deals as the cost of things appears inflated for some reason. But ultimately we will see what happen when the season is over. 

By the way...is it after the regular season or after the playoffs

I think it’s after the season ends, and the season ends after the World Series, but I have no idea about timelines, especially at a time like this

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Not even close to the same situation.

Elias in rebuild mode was trying to rid on Villar's 10m salary.

Today  the Marlins trade Villar and his 1.5m salary to a contender for a prospect.  

Way different.

Not really different at all: it's the exact same player: VILLAR. It couldn't be any more perfect a comparison.

btw: both Elias then and Hill today are in the exact same situation: rebuilding and dumping Villar's salary. 

The only difference is that Hill got a quality prospect while Elias got nothing but salary relief.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

btw: both Elias then and Hill today are in the exact same situation: rebuilding and dumping Villar's salary. 

Hill bought Starling Marte today, welcomed back Isan Diaz, and did not dump the Brandon Kintzlers and Brad Boxbergers of the world.

We know Villar's thrived with FT play and scuffled with sporadic PT - maybe this was just finding him a gig another few weeks and saving Mattingly the work of trying to get value from Villar in a reduced role.

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Hill bought Starling Marte today, welcomed back Isan Diaz, and did not dump the Brandon Kintzlers and Brad Boxbergers of the world.

We know Villar's thrived with FT play and scuffled with sporadic PT - maybe this was just finding him a gig another few weeks and saving Mattingly the work of trying to get value from Villar in a reduced role.

OK, but Hill got a really good prospect in Conine. That's my point. That Hill could get a prospect as highly valued as RF Conine, who mashed in his soph and junior years at Duke and has continued in the minors is truly impressive for a couple weeks of Villar. That Elias got bupkiss for an entire year of a signed Villar doesn't reflect well by comparison.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Castro (trade for cash or PTBNL (Jon Keller) >>> 2020 trade - 2 players (1 PTBNL)

Bleier (trade for cash or PTBNL) – >>>>>  2020 trade - (PTBNL)

Velazquez (waivers)- >>>>>> 2020 trade - (PTBNL)

Milone (minor league deal) – >>>>>> 2020 trade (2 PTBNL)

Givens (drafted 2nd round 2009) – >>>>>>> 2020 trade - 3 players (1 PTBNL)

I was just thinking about this and thought this was a good place to add.  So good timing.  Sorry for weird formatting, fighting with computer.  First (xx) is how we acquired each guy.

• Thanks 1