IMO Mussina Would Never Have Made the HOF Had He Remained an Oriole

Old#5fan

Excuse you, I did no such thing. I gave specific examples of specific persons. Retract, please.

Uh, I was given the impression that you were discounting all experienced broadcasters and former major leaguers because of Joe Morgan. If I am wrong on this take, of course I will retract.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on your last couple of posts, I have some questions for you:

1) Did you play the game? If so, at what level did you top out?

2) Are you now, or have you ever been, a scout?

3) How many games do you watch/attend a year?

Thanks,

MM

High School.

No

I probably have watched on average about 100 plus games over the past 44 years more or less. I have attended far less.

Uh, I was given the impression that you were discounting all experienced broadcasters and former major leaguers because of Joe Morgan. If I am wrong on this take, of course I will retract.

I was not. I was merely pointing out that there are plenty of examples, and gave specific ones.

I was not. I was merely pointing out that there are plenty of examples, and gave specific ones.

There are plenty of examples of veteran commentators with years of experience who are great as well. I gave specific ones too.;)

Are you even old enough to recall Led Zepplin in their heyday? Somehow I doubt it.

No, but he's savvy enough to know how to spell Led Zeppelin. And I echo his sentiments, because once again, by design or by unintentional wording, you're lording it over someone with ageism again.

And yes, you gave specific examples as well, but after I countered a statement you made that you can not discount experience. In fact, I was reacting to a blanket statement you made. In the end, I got you to be specific and not generalize, so that's good, but please don't try and put words in to my mouth.

No, but he's savvy enough to know how to spell Led Zeppelin. And I echo his sentiments, because once again, by design or by unintentional wording, you're lording it over someone with ageism again.

And yes, you gave specific examples as well, but after I countered a statement you made that you can not discount experience. In fact, I was reacting to a blanket statement you made. In the end, I got you to be specific and not generalize, so that's good, but please don't try and put words in to my mouth.

No need to get irritated. I just find it problematic when people generally disrespect other people who have "been there done that" as if they as younger versions are somehow automatically smarter beyond their years. From what I see that is very seldom the case. Although this probably belongs in the Rant Section as a whole topic to itself.

No need to get irritated. I just find it problematic when people generally disrespect other people who have "been there done that" as if they as younger versions are somehow automatically smarter beyond their years. From what I see that is very seldom the case. Although this probably belongs in the Rant Section as a whole topic to itself.

Younger people underrate experience. Older people overrate it.

But honestly, I don't think there is much difference between people who have watched a lot of baseball for 10-15 years, and people who have watched a lot of baseball for 40 years. Really about the only difference is that we old codgers can recognize the ways in which the game has changed over time. Or at least, should recognize it.

I do think that older Oriole fans do have one advantage over the younger ones. We have actually seen what it looks like when a team plays sound funadmental baseball over 162 games, and has good pitching and defense. Unfortunately, some of our younger brethren have never seen that. They might see a sound team like the Twins come in for a three-game series against us, but they don't see what baseball is like when you play that way 162 games a year. I hope some day they get the chance.

I only get "irritated" because, conversely, I find it a problem that some people automatically equate age with wisdom and respect. My father brought me up differently, and taught me that respect is something that is earned, and age sometimes makes people less wise, not more so. So when someone who is older than me, especially by not that much, starts throwing their age around as if that's the bottom line, I find that problematic.

So it seems that we are at an impasse. ;)

What's the barometer for "experience"? Because I wasn't alive at the time of Led Zeppelin, people my age are less entitled to appreciate their music? You weren't alive at the time of the Constitution; are you less entitled to your personal freedoms than a person born in the late 1800s?

As a 24 year old, I do not believe that older people should get the benefit of "experience" simply because they've been around longer. You get the benefit of saying "Hey, I'm old enough to have been able to see Led Zeppelin perform in a club before they broke up"... but that's about it. I'm better travelled, more well-spoken, better educated, sharper dressed, and much more successful than many people twice my age. Doesn't that account for anything? At what point do I get to say that sum of my experiences in my short life span amount to those of someone who has spent their life half as richly as I have despite being twice as old?

Re: "experience".

Like almost about everything else, "experience" is an elastic concept.

Some people, over 40 years, can have 40 years worth of experience.

Others, over the same 40 years, simply have one year of experience...40 times over.

Thus endeth the lesson...:wedge:

Archived