Claimed: Pitcher Carson Fulmer

wildcard

On 9/9/2020 at 8:24 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

This is going waaaaay back, but I remember that there was some reason related to options or six-year eligibility or something that forced the O's to call up Cabrera.  It's not obvious from his playing record, he only spent 3.5 years in the minors, but I know there was something like that going on.  Maybe he signed much earlier but was in a complex or something?  I don't remember...

That was the era where they called up Screech after a full month of seasoning Frederick and put him in the Orioles' starting lineup.  @Can_of_corn must be swooning just thinking about it.  My guess is that when Syd Thrift left he put some notes on Beattie's desk that included "don't forget about the Bonus Baby rule!  It'll bite you!"

Still one of the most head-scratchingly dumb decision this organization has done over the last 20 years.

22 hours ago, weams said:

We hardly knew ye. 

Claimed back by the Pirates.

This is weird.

According Roch's article, Hyde said this about Fulmer.

Asked about Fulmer on Sept. 8, manager Brandon Hyde said, “Carson threw yesterday and our pitching guys are ecstatic about the kind of stuff and what they saw from him in his bullpen session yesterday. It’s a top of the first round college guy that got to the big leagues really fast. I saw that early in Chicago. They used him in a variety of roles, never really got comfortable at the big league level. So it’s a big arm that we want to take a look at and hope we can find some opportunities to get him in and show what he can do.”

I wonder what changed? Makes you wonder if there is a something going on here behind the scenes because there are at least four pitchers (Kline, Hess, Stewart, Lakins) on the current 40-man roster I would have DFA'd over Fulmer. I mean, the guy has an absolutely violent delivery but also seemed like a guy with a decent cutter an change and a fastball that plays up due to deception.

He's a weird DFA unless there is something behind the scenes.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Still one of the most head-scratchingly dumb decision this organization has done over the last 20 years.

Syd was a great baseball mind at one time, but that was sadly before taking the job with the Orioles. I think his health was an issue, and nobody at the time, knew it or looked the other way and let him stumble his way through. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Syd was a great baseball mind at one time, but that was sadly before taking the job with the Orioles. I think his health was an issue, and nobody at the time, knew it or looked the other way and let him stumble his way through. 

There is little doubt in my mind that Syd was in the beginning stages of dementia while the GM wit the Orioles. While he could be arrogant, he was a great baseball mind at one point.