Pat the Bat

sportsfan8703

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Currently sporting an OPS of .811 with 6HR. He’s playing all over the diamond. Tuning up LHP to a 1.169 OPS. 

Nugget?  Do we ride with him as the everyday 1B the rest of the way?  Could Sisco playing some 1B be an option, or something crazy like calling up Diaz that would force Mountcastle to 1B?

They aren't going to jerk around Mountcastle by shifting him to a position he hasn't played much right in the middle of his impressive debut in the majors.  There's absolutely no need for that.  Why edd around with something that is working well?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Currently sporting an OPS of .811 with 6HR. He’s playing all over the diamond. Tuning up LHP to a 1.169 OPS. 

Nugget?  Do we ride with him as the everyday 1B the rest of the way?  Could Sisco playing some 1B be an option, or something crazy like calling up Diaz that would force Mountcastle to 1B?

Sisco seems to be falling to earth after a hot start like he has in the past.  I'm not at all certain he has the bat for first base, unless of course the standard is better than Davis.

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sisco seems to be falling to earth after a hot start like he has in the past.  I'm not at all certain he has the bat for first base, unless of course the standard is better than Davis.

I do not think he has the bat for 1B.   He’s got a very good eye, but swings and misses at way too many pitches in the zone.   164 K’s in 489 career PA; 30 in 85 this year.    He’s in the lowest 10% for contact rate in the strike zone (249th of 272 players with 80+ PA).    I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s always going to be a low BA/decent OBP/middling power guy.     That’s not good enough to be a regular at 1B, and probably not at C either due to his below average defense.    He can probably stick in the majors at back-up C for a while, even though his defense is below average.    It’s not as bad as it was.   

• Upvote 1

Valiaka the Rakera is doing fine as a backup 1B.   Let Nunez take some time to heal his hamstring.  Then he can come back and take over  1B.    As long as he keep hitting Valaika can stay in the lineup giving rest to the other regulars.

Mancini is next year's 1B.

Rio found his stroke just when it looked like he was going to get benched. He now on a streak hitting for a 1067 OPS in September.

Nothing wrong with Sisco backing up Severino until AR is ready.  Holaday adds experience when needed.  But Holaday will not stay on the 40 man roster over the winter.

I think Iglesias is the DH  two thirds of the time the rest of this season in an effort to keep him in the lineup.

• Upvote 2

Last off-season, Elias signed a lot of waiver wire infielders. He also signed Iglesias. Of the lottery ticket sign-ups, Valaika is clearly the best. Velasquez, Urena, Urias And the gang are all gone, but at least for this season, we’ve got a temporary winner in Valaika. He is not even a poor man’s Ben Zobrist, But he may be a rich man’s Ryan Flaherty.

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My idea was that Pat the Bat is mashing, but has a track record of mashing LHP. It would be nice to configure the lineup somehow to have an option at 1B against RHP. Smoak?  Puig?  Diaz?  Then shift around to get the best possible bats in there. I mean C’mon, this is a playoff push we’re in. 

Smoak? Why would you want a wash-up first baseman who hasn’t hit meaningfully in a long time? 
we’ve got that covered already.

• Upvote 1

I'd let PV play the 400 AB super-sub all over the diamond for as long as he produces in the role.  He is a better version of Ryan Flaherty this year and that has some good value - even on a contending team.

This pickup looks like a very strong move by ME.  Have to see how PV produces next year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My idea was that Pat the Bat is mashing, but has a track record of mashing LHP. It would be nice to configure the lineup somehow to have an option at 1B against RHP. Smoak?  Puig?  Diaz?  Then shift around to get the best possible bats in there. I mean C’mon, this is a playoff push we’re in. 

We just activated a lefthanded first baseman from the DL!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Valaika has looked good and I like him in a utility role. He can play almost all over the field and be at least adequate. That has value and his bat has played well, too. He may not be this good, but it shows there's something there. I like him to be an option off the bench next year when we go down to a 26 man roster and have a shorter bench. I'd like to see him continue to move around some this year. I'd actually like to see him at SS some and see less Velazquez.

• Upvote 1