Roch: The Pitching Coming Over the Hill

weams

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/bringing-opposites-together-in-akin-and-kremer.html

“When he first got here in ‘18 he was primarily fastball-curveball and you saw a lot of that against the Yankees the other day, as well,” Steenstra said. “That’s kind of his bread and butter pitches. The things he’s been working on, he’s added a cutter and then trying to get his changeup in the mix a little bit more, especially as a starter, having that fourth pitch for the left-handers.

Akin, meanwhile, is more fastball-changeup with an occasional slider and inclined to work higher in the zone with his heat.

“He’s starting to see a lot to success with pitching down and then going up, which is something we’ve talked to him about for the last couple years was, you’ve got that good riding fastball, but when you can spot it at the knees, like you saw the other day, and then go off that line and the up line, that really makes him a formidable opponent for anybody,” Steenstra said.

“The biggest thing with him as been finding the trust in his off-speed pitches and throwing those in any count.”

It can be challenging to convince a young pitcher that stats don’t matter as much as development while people in the organization keep referencing his high walk totals as a reason for staying in the minors.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is a good piece but I'm scarred for life by "The Cavalry."  

I won't call it a fluff piece, but it is...and they talk about the Bowie site and how everything there is amazing and everyone's doing great.  I hope it's true.

Could end up being the same but the people in position to develop these guys are worlds better than what the Os used to have.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree but there's no guarantees.  

There never are.  Even the best organizations have far more failed prospects than successful ones.

Still, what you want are people in place who know what they are doing.  For years, I wanted the Os to steal development personnel from the best organizations.  When they hired Elias, they did just that.

I feel good about the process and what they are doing.  They are far beyond the previous regimes.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There never are.  Even the best organizations have far more failed prospects than successful ones.

Still, what you want are people in place who know what they are doing.  For years, I wanted the Os to steal development personnel from the best organizations.  When they hired Elias, they did just that.

I feel good about the process and what they are doing.  They are far beyond the previous regimes.

Yep, we agree.  I'm very happy with who they've got and what they're doing.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice feel good story.    Figure Akin and Kremer each have four starts left to make.   Hopefully they continue to impress.   

Yea, let’s not forget that sample size is small.  But they are encouraging signs because of their talent, minor league performance and, to a lesser extent, their age.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I won't call it a fluff piece, but it is...and they talk about the Bowie site and how everything there is amazing and everyone's doing great.  I hope it's true.

Everybody who writes for a living write fluff from time to time. Some people write mostly fluff.

Id be interested in some analysis of how difficult it is to see a lineup a second time? With all the modern stat information they have, how much did they know about Akin/Kremer before the first time, and how much more do they know after an actual game, and what changes will/should A/K make to anticipate those adjustments?

Speaking of Fluff, I laughed out loud during the Wednesday broadcast when the tv guys were gushing about how the national media were suddenly talking about the Orioles and listed three Baltimore sports outlets, including MASN. Oh boy...I laughed.

Yes I would imagine the local sports guys will talk about local sports teams.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Speaking of Fluff, I laughed out loud during the Wednesday broadcast when the tv guys were gushing about how the national media were suddenly talking about the Orioles and listed three Baltimore sports outlets, including MASN. Oh boy...I laughed.

Yes I would imagine the local sports guys will talk about local sports teams.

I noticed that and had a good chuckle as well. The other two were Camden Chat and The Sun. 

They've got a graphic cued up for the next broadcast called "word on the street" where they cite local sources... Maybe one of @wildcard's pep rally threads.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not just the original Cavalry.

Then came, Bundy and Gausman were supposed to be 2 TOR guys for us and we added Harvey and they were supposed to carry this team.

So thats twice now.

I hope to hell, theres not a 3rd, but this is baseball, so probably will be.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not just the original Cavalry.

Then came, Bundy and Gausman were supposed to be 2 TOR guys for us and we added Harvey and they were supposed to carry this team.

So thats twice now.

I hope to hell, theres not a 3rd, but this is baseball, so probably will be.

The reason you draft 1000 is so 10 will be good. However, we’ve got a lot of pitchers coming up, two of whom have already had splendid debuts.