How Much Do You Credit the Elias/Sig Development Methods for the Teams Offense

kidrock

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

The high OBP, low ISO player is basically extinct.  Greg Garcia is the only active player (min 1000 PA) with an ISO under .100 and an OBP over .350.

I said as much when I first posted about the Wieters 19 pitch at bat.  He only had three pitches thrown to him out of the strike zone the whole at bat.  The pitcher kept pumping 88 MPH fastballs in the middle of the strike zone.

Something is definitely happening when Cedric Mullins has a .772 OPS and DJ Stewart's is 1.255. If its the high speed cams in Bowie telling them to make subtle changes in their swing plane or stance. Im not sure. Thats what im guessing it is. Even though every other team can also copy this approach, I like that Baltimore is teaching it wisely at the moment. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

Something is definitely happening when Cedric Mullins has a .772 OPS and DJ Stewart's is 1.255. If its the high speed cams in Bowie telling them to make subtle changes in their swing plane or stance. Im not sure. Thats what im guessing it is. Even though every other team can also copy this approach, I like that Baltimore is teaching it wisely at the moment. 

Or, its a really small sample size. 

• Upvote 2

It's probably made a difference.  I'd put that difference at around 10% of the reason, and 90% would be unexpected prospect development + some good luck.

No one expected the 2012 Orioles to be any good either, and I don't think anyone thought Duquette brought in any kind of revolutionary scouting/development program in, even though he had a track record of doing those things.  Sometimes you just get lucky.  The Orioles have gotten lucky less than most, it feels like, so I guess things balance out.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, kidrock said:

That's exactly what I was thinking as well.  Its hard to tell what is just natural talent and what is the new processes.  I was expecting this team to be far worse and I am encouraged about the team.  I think the only real way to tell is to look over a 5-8 year time horizon really.

Agreed.     But I’m certainly not going to rule out that the O’s coaching methods are helping these guys.    

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I said as much when I first posted about the Wieters 19 pitch at bat.  He only had three pitches thrown to him out of the strike zone the whole at bat.  The pitcher kept pumping 88 MPH fastballs in the middle of the strike zone.

I take your point, but it’s tough to get too cute when the bases are loaded and a walk produces a run.    

21 hours ago, wildcard said:

Mullins game is not OPS.  Its OBP.

Not really.   His career minor league line is .265/.323/.426.    I’d say his career ISO is more impressive than his career BA or walk rate.   

I think Mullins is going to be limited as a major league hitter, but he’s a very rangy defensive OF and certainly should be a much better hitter than he showed in 2019 or the first few weeks of this year.    There’s a place for him on a major league team IMO.   

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The high OBP, low ISO player is basically extinct.  Greg Garcia is the only active player (min 1000 PA) with an ISO under .100 and an OBP over .350.

Absolutely. Folks would love to deny it. They may pine for it. But they won't get it.