Free Agent Shortstops

YardBirds13

El Gordo, you have nailed it once again!

Rafael Furcal will help defensively, and is a huge upgrade from the 6 guys the O's had @ SS this past season.

Roberts - 2B

Furcal - SS

Markakis - RF

Huff - 1B

Mora - 3B

Scott - LF

Jones - CF

Wieters - C

Montanez - DH

This is an offense that could do some damage. Roberts, Furcal, & Wieters are swith-hitters; good speed, good power, & a good defensive line-up. If there was a RHed power-hitter (DH/1B) to bat between Huff & Markakis, that would be even better...Go O's!!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only one who finds this funny?

No doubt...As I said, you can't vastly overpay but you can't close your mind to the idea of dealing guys like BRob and Huff and those are the guys that may net you the SS you need.

But if by the slim chance LAA and the LAD's don't want to play fantasy baseball with you who else has a SS they are dying to trade you for BRob and Huff?:laughlol:

But if by the slim chance LAA and the LAD's don't want to play fantasy baseball with you who else has a SS they are dying to trade you for BRob and Huff?:laughlol:

Why is it fantasy baseball to make trades?

This is the kind of silly statement that people made when we talked about trading Bedard and Tejada last year.

Why can't we trade Huff and Roberts? Why can't we get a younger shortstop in a deal? You call it fantasy baseball, was it a fantasy when we traded Bedard and Tejada last year?

This is the kind of silly statement that people made when we talked about trading Bedard and Tejada last year.

Why can't we trade Huff and Roberts? Why can't we get a younger shortstop in a deal? You call it fantasy baseball, was it a fantasy when we traded Bedard and Tejada last year?

Because El Gordo isn't smart or knowledgable enough to come up with anything else.

It's fantasy baseball to assume that trades magically are certain to happen just because you think they should, or more likely want them to. Of course you can trade Huff and BRob. The question is for what and to whom. That means what team is a good fit for a trade and why?

It's fantasy baseball to assume that trades magically are certain to happen just because you think they should, or more likely want them to. Of course you can trade Huff and BRob. The question is for what and to whom. That means what team is a good fit for a trade and why?

OK, but just because we don't know what options are out there doesn't all of a sudden make it a good idea to throw 30 million dollars at Orlando Cabrera.

So the O's trade B-Rob for a SS' date=' who plays 2B? They trade Huff, how do you replace 30+hr's/100+rbi's?

Mychal Givens, Grant Green, Ryan Jackson, & Robbie Shields are SS available in the 2009 MLB Draft. Sign Furcal, draft a SS...Go O's!!![/quote']

You trade B-Rob for a group of younger players. You trade Huff for a young guy with upside.

Who cares who produces the 30/100 Huff had this year? How many games did we win with these guys this year?

It's the same idea behind Tejada/Bedard last off-season. Sure, it hurt us at SS and in the rotation, but in the long run, there is no denying those trades were good for us.

Same thing here. If we trade Huff or Roberts, it may hurt us next year in the middle of the order or at 2B, but if the deals can help us long term, then you have to do them.

But fantasy baseball is nothing like that.

Please just retire the analogy from your lexicon... it's condescending and non-sensical.

Making these deals is easier said than done. The Bedard & Tejada trades are the best trades the Orioles have made since they stole Frank Robinson from the Reds in 1965. 2010 is the year the O's want to field a team that can compete for the post season, and the benefits of re-signing players could be the better option.

Of course if you get 3-5 players for your 1 player you have to consider the value you're getting in the trade. B-Rob could have been traded by now, but the return value didn't work for the Orioles. You don't make trades for the sake of making a trade...Go O's!!!

I would love to see JJ Hardy in an O's uniform. I don't know what it would take trade wise, but isn't he blocking some superstar prospect in the Breweres minor league system? Maybe they will shop him this offseason.

But fantasy baseball is nothing like that.

Please just retire the analogy from your lexicon... it's condescending and non-sensical.

Fantasy baseball as I use it refers the magical world were trades are made that help the O's and make SG look smart, without giving consideration to the other teams needs or options. In the messy world of real baseball the trade partner may actually have better options to the trade that helps the O's. Case in point the LAAA. They may just as well decide to show Tex the money and thus have no need for Huff or barring that horrifying eventuality, trade something they have a surplus of, say SP, for a 1B like Fielder.

I would love to see JJ Hardy in an O's uniform. I don't know what it would take trade wise, but isn't he blocking some superstar prospect in the Breweres minor league system? Maybe they will shop him this offseason.

Alcides Escobar is the prospect, and yes, they will be looking to move Hardy.

My guess is one of Tillman or Arrieta would be where we would need to start.

I'm not willing to do that.

Archived