• Ryan Adams
    • Jake Arrieta
    • Xavier Avery
    • Brian Matusz
    • Chris Tillman

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta figure it's one of Tillman, Matusz, or Arrieta.

I think it's between Tillman and Matusz, and I'm gonna go with Tillman. I just think it'd be tough to put Matusz, who has yet to pitch, ahead of a guy who is 20 and has already pitched at AA, for a whole season, and done very well.

Curious why Avery and Adams were the other choices? Does this say that maybe they were higher than we thought, or just that they were the "A's" on a alphabetized list that Tony had set up?

Verrrrrry interesting.

Gotta figure it's one of Tillman, Matusz, or Arrieta.

I think it's between Tillman and Matusz, and I'm gonna go with Tillman. I just think it'd be tough to put Matusz, who has yet to pitch, ahead of a guy who is 20 and has already pitched at AA, for a whole season, and done very well.

Curious why Avery and Adams were the other choices? Does this say that maybe they were higher than we thought, or just that they were the "A's" on a alphabetized list that Tony had set up?

Verrrrrry interesting.

Avery is certainly going to make the Top 10. IIRC, if he realizes his potential, his major league comp is Carl Crawford.

Avery is certainly going to make the Top 10. IIRC, if he realizes his potential, his major league comp is Carl Crawford.

Really??

Most everyone that has been doing there Top 30's or so has had him in the 12-17 range. I don't think I've seen one OH'er have him in the Top 10.

Well, I guess Tony, Greg, etc., feel differently. ;)

Why do you say that? Now I'm honestly confused.

In the list that Greg posted in the "Post Your Own Top 30" thread, he had Avery at 17. Stotle, who along with Greg I would say has the most prospect knowledge around these parts, had Avery at 14. Not a single hangouter listed him in their Top 10. He didn't make the Top 20 in the GCL, a list that LJ Hoes was on.

So, again, why are you expecting Avery to be in the Top 10?

As much as I love Tillman, I have Matusz at #2. I think his secondary stuff is far more refined (though if Tillman commanded his CB a little better it would likely grade out higher than Matusz's for me -- and Matusz's is a plus-pitch). Neither blows you away with velocity, but both could conceivably add a tick of velo (Tillman with some added room in his frame; Matusz with some mechanical fixes in his stride).

Ultimately, it came down to similar ceilings and Matusz being closer to fully baked. I don't have an issue with Tillman being ranked ahead of Matusz, but think Arrieta is the pretty clear #4.

A 20-year old who is that good in AA has to rank no. 2. I wish Arrieta had been given the chance to show what he could have done in AA, and I wish Matusz had signed quickly so we could have seen what he could do anywhere. I''m going with the guy who proved what he could do at AA.

I am wondering why Jake is considered less of a prospect than Tillman? I realize it is only slightly but why is he not considered a better prospect? He is older but from what I have read has a better fastball and some quality secondary pitches. He blew up the Arizona Fall league last year, Frederick this year, and played in the Olympics so I don't think you can use the argument that he hasn't faced the same type of competition. I have also read in a few places that he is destined for the bullpen???? Matusz hasn't even played professionaly yet and many are rating him higher? I am not sure I get it.

Please let me clarify, I am extremely glad to have all three in our system so it is curiosity more than anything.

I think that if you were to provide choices for a poll like this... if we've established Wieters as #1, you would use candidates closer to the top of the heap; Reimold for instance. Avery is way too young and not showing nearly the promise of some other people his age, like Hoes.

Tillman is a good #2 for his age and skill level.

I'm going with Tillman as well. Had Arrieta pitched at Bowie this year or Matusz had pitched for one of the minor league clubs I may have changed my vote, but since that isn't the case I'm going with the youngster who more than held his own in Bowie.

If BA thinks he's #2 in the Eastern League then I'm going with #2 in our system: Tillman.

Stotle - when was the last time you saw Tillman? I seem to remember accounts from the end of the season saying that he was commanding his FB (and even his secondary pitches) much better - even command w/in the zone.

Would that have an effect on your ranking?

Archived