• Ryan Adams
    • Jake Arrieta
    • Xavier Avery
    • Brian Matusz
    • Chris Tillman

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If BA thinks he's #2 in the Eastern League then I'm going with #2 in our system: Tillman.

Stotle - when was the last time you saw Tillman? I seem to remember accounts from the end of the season saying that he was commanding his FB (and even his secondary pitches) much better - even command w/in the zone.

Would that have an effect on your ranking?

Those rankings published in BA are based on the scouts and managers of that leagues rankings much more so than BA's opinion. That said, I'm confident they will have Tillman in the top 25 of their top 100 prospects list, with Matusz 25-50 and Arrieta a little behind that. That's where I'd rank these guys for our list too.

Like a lot of people have said here though, when it comes down to it you could make a case for those guys being in any order. It's nice to know we have 4 such excellent prospects all close to being Major league ready.

Question. Did Wieters play an at least 1 inning for the Orioles last year before he was chosen as the #1 prospect?

If he did not, then it is my opinion that the same argument against Matusz does not work.

When we drafted him, Keith Law said in one of his chat's he'd be the best pitcher in our minor league system once signed. I think people are underestimating him, and still feeling angst that we did not draft Smoak.

Question. Did Wieters play an at least 1 inning for the Orioles last year before he was chosen as the #1 prospect?

If he did not, then it is my opinion that the same argument against Matusz does not work.

Yeah, but last year we didn't have a 20 year old at AA who was lights out.

I wouldn't be in total disagreement if Matusz was ahead of Tillman, I just think Chris should be #2.

Certainly an awesome problem to have.

Any of these 3 could get #2...I don't think Arrieta beats out either of Matusz or Tillman.

I am going with Matusz because he seems to be more polished and may be closer to the majors than Tillman is.

I think it is basically a toss up though and I do think Tillman has the higher upside but I think Matusz is more likely to reach his ceiling due to his better command.

Of course, this time next year, Tillman could have better command and have passed Matusz.

It appears that Tillman is going to be among BA's Top 25 prospects, but we've read quotes by both BA and Joe Jordan that hint that Matusz would be the best pitcher in the system.

I would lean to Matusz here, but, ironically, would not be surprised to see Tillman rated slightly higher per BA in their Top 100.

Archived