Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

@Philip?  Rickie Martin is a balladeer. 

Kind of like Mancini vs the more "aesthetically pleasing" Joey Rickard?  Mancini mashes and is a fly catcher!  Joey patrols the grassy environs neatly but doesn't hit a lick.  ⚾ (emoticon for wet humor)

I am not a paying member here, and I cannot edit my comments. Yes I am aware of both the typo and the difference between Ricky and Richie. But Tim Beckham is one of the most infuriating people I’ve ever watched play baseball. I would rather watch Martin defend even if it means watching him hit, Then watch Beckham hit at the cost of watching him defend.

Martin has a hopeful future. Beckham offers nothing but aggravation.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Manny is a steadier performer.  His defense provides a lot of value even when he’s not hitting.   He’s having a pretty pedestrian offensive season for him (119 OPS+) but is still on pace for 6 WAR thanks to his defense.   

As to Harper, he walks a ridiculous amount so you can’t look only at his BA.    He’s got a .370 OBP and is on pace for 28 homers and 100 RBI.     And, he’s capable of going on an insane tear at any time.   So, I wouldn’t worry too much about him just yet.   

Harper's problem is that he's 26 and he has old player's skills.  Over his past 900 PAs he's hit .243, and he's a corner outfielder.  If he loses another step the only place to go is 1B/DH.  And he's not DHing since he's signed up to play in the NL until the end of time at $27M a season.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Harper's problem is that he's 26 and he has old player's skills.  Over his past 900 PAs he's hit .243, and he's a corner outfielder.  If he loses another step the only place to go is 1B/DH.  And he's not DHing since he's signed up to play in the NL until the end of time at $27M a season.

He may end up being the reason the NL finally accepts the DH.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Philip said:

I am not a paying member here, and I cannot edit my comments. Yes I am aware of both the typo and the difference between Ricky and Richie. But Tim Beckham is one of the most infuriating people I’ve ever watched play baseball. I would rather watch Martin defend even if it means watching him hit, Then watch Beckham hit at the cost of watching him defend.

Martin has a hopeful future. Beckham offers nothing but aggravation.

Martin is 24.  I don't think he has that much of a hopeful future. There was a reason the A's didn't protect him even though he hit pretty well last season.