Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

the thing was that even if you don't use Britton, you have Tommy Hunter which would have been a much better choice than Ubaldo, seeing Ubaldo was not accustumed to coming out of the bullpen

Costly temporary insanity.

My own theory has always been that he didn't think the O's, who had been weak against left-handed starting pitching all year, could score off Liriano, who had pitched only 1.67 innings of the  game so far (he had been the alternate starter, in fact). He rolled the die hoping the Jays could be held in check until Liriano was lifted, at which point the O's would have exhausted the Toronto pen, could more easily score, and then have Zach to come in for the shutdown save. He never uttered this because it would have shown disrespect to his hitters.

But yes, it still doesn't explain why he brought in Ubaldo and why he stuck with him despite being hit hard from the get-go.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:11 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It didn't seem like the Orioles offense was ever going to score another run in that game, but I don't know how you go down in an elimination game without using your best weapon. Losing the last game of the year because you care about the save rule. 

I truly believe the "save rule" had absolutely nothing to do with Showalter's decision.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/the-decline-of-jake-arrieta.html

Jake looking like Jake again, admittedly not exactly for the same reasons as when he was an Oriole. 

His numbers look almost identical to 2011.  So... Cy Young 2023?

My pet theory is that Crack-up didn't have the same visceral impact on Arrieta's chi as Helplessness.

23 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

His numbers look almost identical to 2011.  So... Cy Young 2023?

My pet theory is that Crack-up didn't have the same visceral impact on Arrieta's chi as Helplessness.

Arrieta has been pitching worse as the season has been progressing, but his ERA+ is 102 which is nearly identical to his 104 from last year.  

He still as a ways to go to reach his Orioles level of bad. 

Was at the Pirates Brewers game tonight.  The game featured some former O's and farmhands.

The two starters were Zach Davies (Parra Trade) and Steven Brault (Snider) trade.  Both trades I hated at the time.  Davies pitched well, giving up 1 run in 5 innings without his best stuff.  Brault also pitched well, getting no help from his catcher but left in the 5th with an arm injury.

The game also featured Matt Albers, who did his job and Josh Hader who got the Brewers out of a jam and then worked through the next inning.

Oh, and not Orioles related.  The pirates scored 5 in the 9th to tie it, gave up 1 in the tenth, and then lost with 2 runners on and a starting pitcher pinch hitting because they had used their bench up.  I got a lot of nasty looks when I said this is why the NL needs the DH, because I don't want to see a good game end because a pinch hitting starting pitcher cant catch up to 95 mph heat.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Oh, and not Orioles related.  The pirates scored 5 in the 9th to tie it, gave up 1 in the tenth, and then lost with 2 runners on and a starting pitcher pinch hitting because they had used their bench up.  I got a lot of nasty looks when I said this is why the NL needs the DH, because I don't want to see a good game end because a pinch hitting starting pitcher cant catch up to 95 mph heat.

You could accomplish the same thing by strictly limiting all MLB teams to 9 or 10 pitchers.  At least then we wouldn't have to be sitting in our rocking chairs in 2060 hearing NLers whine about having to have the DH.

• Upvote 1