Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Tyler Wilson had 5.4 strikeouts per nine at Norfolk in 2017.  No tweaking command and control was going to make that a major league pitcher.  5.4 was marginal 20 years ago.  Today you'd better be a submariner if you expect to succeed like that.

Bleier Has about that, doesn’t he? I don’t think Eshelman is a strikeout pitcher either. Is Ynoa?

You can be successful without a high strike out rates, and there are lots of guys with high strike out rates who are not.

At this time, it is moot. Wilson is doing well in Korea and Wright  is in designation in limbo with the Mariners. For the second time. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I haven’t seen Wells in person, but let’s just say his results outshine Wilson’s by a wide margin, at a younger age.    Plus he’s a lefty.   

I’m very glad to hear that, I’m rooting for Wells, and Wilson is the only guy I could compare him with, because they are both soft tossers.

47 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m very glad to hear that, I’m rooting for Wells, and Wilson is the only guy I could compare him with, because they are both soft tossers.

I will let someone who has seen both give a more detailed analysis.   Let’s just say that Wells’ minor league ERA is more than a run lower than Wilson’s, and he’s been younger at every level.     To me he’s a significantly better prospect than Wilson was.  Zach Davies is probably a better comp, though he was even younger than Wells as he moved through our system (and is a RHP).   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will let someone who has seen both give a more detailed analysis.   Let’s just say that Wells’ minor league ERA is more than a run lower than Wilson’s, and he’s been younger at every level.     To me he’s a significantly better prospect than Wilson was.  Zach Davies is probably a better comp, though he was even younger than Wells as he moved through our system (and is a RHP).   

Zach Davies… Boy, that’s going to be the trade that never stops hurting…

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just saw this. Austin Brice has had a good 1st part of the year. 

Miami changed him from a sinkerballer that he was with the Reds to having one of the top spin rates on CB in mlb. 

I know a lot of players moved through the system this year, but Elias and company may have churned and burned a little quick on some of their initial impressions.

16 hours ago, Philip said:

Bleier Has about that, doesn’t he? I don’t think Eshelman is a strikeout pitcher either. Is Ynoa?

You can be successful without a high strike out rates, and there are lots of guys with high strike out rates who are not.

At this time, it is moot. Wilson is doing well in Korea and Wright  is in designation in limbo with the Mariners. For the second time. 

And Bleier is beyond horrible this year.  Eschelman was acquired for a bit of international money, he's not a prospect.  Ynoa has a 5.50 in the majors.

In 2018 the median ERA of pitchers (min 50 innings) with between 7 and 8 K/9 was 4.15.  The median ERA of pitchers with less than 6 K/9 was 4.50.  Those with 8+ Ks, the median was 3.66.  TJ McFarland and Matt Koch were the only pitchers last year with less than 5.5 K/9 and an ERA under 4.48.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And Bleier is beyond horrible this year.  Eschelman was acquired for a bit of international money, he's not a prospect.  Ynoa has a 5.50 in the majors.

In 2018 the median ERA of pitchers (min 50 innings) with between 7 and 8 K/9 was 4.15.  The median ERA of pitchers with less than 6 K/9 was 4.50.  Those with 8+ Ks, the median was 3.66.  TJ McFarland and Matt Koch were the only pitchers last year with less than 5.5 K/9 and an ERA under 4.48.

I don’t disagree with anything you said, but I’m not sure that bad pitching is the result of a low K rate. Certainly we’ve had on this team guys with high K rates who were equally terrible. That by itself wouldn’t be enough to turn me off to a guy. And just throwing 98 is nothing. That’s my whole point. By your logic we should release Wells right now, and I’d prefer to see what he can do.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I don’t disagree with anything you said, but I’m not sure that bad pitching is the result of a low K rate. Certainly we’ve had on this team guys with high K rates who were equally terrible. That by itself wouldn’t be enough to turn me off to a guy. And just throwing 98 is nothing. That’s my whole point. By your logic we should release Wells right now, and I’d prefer to see what he can do.

I wouldn't release Wells, he's getting results.  But I wouldn't delude myself.  If he's striking out 7 per nine in AA that might drop going to AAA and the majors, and there aren't many guys in modern baseball who can succeed at five or six.

Adam down: .192 and no bombs in his last 73 ABs.

.258/.307/.432/.739/+89 for the season (13 HRs, 17 2Bs, 18 BBs in 322 ABs). 11 of 13 homers were before June, none since June 15.

T.J. McFarland and Caleb Joseph also haven't done much for the D'backs this season.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, LA2 said:

Adam down: .192 and no bombs in his last 73 ABs.

.258/.307/.432/.739/+89 for the season (13 HRs, 17 2Bs, 18 BBs in 322 ABs). 11 of 13 homers were before June, none since June 15.

T.J. McFarland and Caleb Joseph also haven't done much for the D'backs this season.

Trey Mancini and Adam must be trading hitting notes. 1 homer since June 17th.

Little Yaz was 4 for 6 today.1 double and 1 homer and 3 RBI'S. 

• Thanks 1