Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

50 minutes ago, Philip said:

( cough cough shoulda kept Cruz over Trumbo cough cough)

20/20 hindsight, it’s a no-brainer.   The team changed its spending philosophy between post-2014 when it jettisoned Cruz, Markakis and Miller and post-2015 when it kept Davis and O’Day.    When you think back on it, it’s tragic.    Trumbo’s a minor footnote in the saga.    Really, when we traded for him he was the insurance policy in case we lost Davis.    Then we ended up keeping both.   Sigh.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, Redskins Rick said:

dang this guy has more lives than Reimhold

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/nationals-gerardo-parra-nearing-contract-agreement.html

I cant not understand how any team could put him on their 25 man roster.

Somehow the Nationals seem to be doing all right despite having someone on their team who does not belong in the majors.

As I said at the time, Parra is a perfectly fine backup outfielder.  In 204 plate appearances, he hit .250/.300/.747 while playing all three outfield positions.

1 hour ago, POR said:

Somehow the Nationals seem to be doing all right despite having someone on their team who does not belong in the majors.

As I said at the time, Parra is a perfectly fine backup outfielder.  In 204 plate appearances, he hit .250/.300/.747 while playing all three outfield positions.

Its still shocking, to see how bad he was here, and still has baseball life in him. 

When he was here, he wasnt even fit for backup bench role.

58 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its still shocking, to see how bad he was here, and still has baseball life in him. 

When he was here, he wasnt even fit for backup bench role.

If you look at what went on with our corner outfielders in 2015, it’s incredible.    Every guy we tried failed.   In several cases, either we got rid of them after a few months and then they thrived somewhere else (De Aza), or we traded for them while they were doing well and then they absolutely stunk for us (Parra).    And pretty much everyone underperformed their career numbers, by a lot.   We truly were jinxed out there that year.   

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you look at what went on with our corner outfielders in 2015, it’s incredible.    Every guy we tried failed.   In several cases, either we got rid of them after a few months and then they thrived somewhere else (De Aza), or we traded for them while they were doing well and then they absolutely stunk for us (Parra).    And pretty much everyone underperformed their career numbers, by a lot.   We truly were jinxed out there that year.   

then, we have to look at the Coaching staff and the outfield coach, and even Buck.

Parra had production at Colorado, and at the time, I thought it was just the high attitude that was helping him, but obviously, he still has game left.

The Cardinals are likely to pursue another one-year deal with catcher Matt Wieters, opines Anne Rogers of MLB.com as part of a mailbag. The 33-year-old signed with St. Louis for $1.5MM last offseason and figures to command a similar salary this go-round, Rogers adds. Wieters again ranked among the worst defensive catchers in baseball this season, but he offers respectable power for a catcher (.214/.268/.435 in 183 PA in 2019). The Cardinals also value Wieters’ veteran presence and switch-hitting bat off the bench, Rogers adds.

MLBTR

2 hours ago, weams said:

MLBTR

Love me some Wieters.    There’s just something about his stoic demeanor that I prize.    Back when catchers were allowed to block the plate, he was an immovable object and players were afraid to try to bowl him over knowing they’d get the worst of it.   One of the best catch-and-tag guys I’ve ever seen, and even after blocking was outlawed his long arms gave him great range for catching the ball out front and making sweep tags.    Really good at pitch blocking, too.    And, he had a gun for an arm before his TJ surgery.   He may not have been the best pitch framer or game caller, but I loved those other skills.   And I loved the look on his face when he made a good defensive play, kind of, “what did you expect?”   The guy may not have lived up to the hype offensively, but I truly enjoyed having him in black and orange.    

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...