Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

dWAR is problematic because it combines (1) the value of playing SS with (2) how good the player is at SS.   In Iglesias’ case he gets +6 credit just for playing SS, then -21 for how he’s played there.   That -21 is an analogous measure to the -21 DRS you mentioned.   In other words, he’s been awful defensively this year.   I wonder what the heck happened — is he playing hurt, is he out of shape, or did he just hit the wall at age 31?

He's signing with the Red Sox.   That have about 3 or 4 infielders on the Covid list right now (Bogaerts, Kiki, Arroyo, and I think one other infielder I never heard of).

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's beautiful.  That is reason alone to not ban the shift.

Social media blocked here at work.  Can't wait to get home and click on the link.

I believe I've seen a few of the more amazing plays he's made out in RF, earlier in the season.

Gausman the 11th inning pinch-hitter delivers the GWRBI to grow lead on Dodgers back to 2 with 14 games to play.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=401229252

I am glad the Giants have pushed young, strong Buehler/Urias to try hard all summer one precious time before more berths probably make the rest of their prime regular seasons a little bit like Extended Spring Training mode.   Hard to believe Buehler has somehow taken all 30 of his turns so far this year without some minor muscle strain putting him out 10 days.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's beautiful.  That is reason alone to not ban the shift.

He's the new King Kelly, just kind of in reverse.  I've probably told this story before because it's fun, but King Kelly was a star in the 1880s and averaged more than one assist in the outfield per three games.  Even for that time that was dramatically higher than average.  It's almost unbelievable.  Until you realize that some significant percentage of the time he would sneak in and play 5th infielder when he was listed as an outfielder. 

I want no part of any rules change that bans King Kelly shenanigans.