Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

That's nice hindsight. No Gm anywhere trades the all-time team leader in saves after a year like JJ's 2012. Especially after making the playoffs and having a winning season on a non cash strapped team for the first time in a decade and a half. Yes your way would have been better. It is not necessary to cry over the spilled milk. It would have been good for you and I to play the lottery if we knew tomorrow's winning combination.

Well you can accuse me of hindsight but I was beating the drum for Johnson to be traded after he eliminated us from the playoffs... and I have been beating the drum since September of last year for Hardy to be traded.

We will keep Hardy for too long... he will have a down year this year.... we won't feel that he is worth a QO... and he will be traded for not much next Spring.

I don't understand why this organization is turning a top 4 first round SS pick into a 3B to keep around a soon to be in steep decline SS.

None of this is hindsight... most everyone else thinks Hardy is integral to us being a playoff team this year and we should keep him like we kept JJ last year.

Well you can accuse me of hindsight but I was beating the drum for Johnson to be traded after he eliminated us from the playoffs... and I have been beating the drum since September of last year for Hardy to be traded.

We will keep Hardy for too long... he will have a down year this year.... we won't feel that he is worth a QO... and he will be traded for not much next Spring.

I don't understand why this organization is turning a top 4 first round SS pick into a 3B to keep around a soon to be in steep decline SS.

None of this is hindsight... most everyone else thinks Hardy is integral to us being a playoff team this year and we should keep him like we kept JJ last year.

How do we trade a free agent?

I simply said that it was not appropriate for the team at that time. You would never have sold the tickets you did last season had you traded their closer after finally winning. There was not proper way to handle that. The result proved your guess to be correct. It was not a possible situation.

I simply said that it was not appropriate for the team at that time. You would never have sold the tickets you did last season had you traded their closer after finally winning. There was not proper way to handle that. The result proved your guess to be correct. It was not a possible situation.

Depending on what you got back, you might have had no problem selling tickets.

Plenty of people would have been happy and plenty of tickets sold if JJ was flipped for Porcello like some of us talked about since we heard Porcello was being shopped and the Tigers needed a closer. You did know the winning lottery numbers as they were 1/11, but DD chose not to play. Plenty of GM's out there would have made such a move, we chose status quo last offseason. It's history and time to turn the page but DD missed an opportunity to sell high. I hope its a rare miss.

I don't think the presence of a particular guy in the bullpen is going to drive ticket sales.

I agree. The success of 2012 drove ticket sales. JJ's success was a big part of 2012 but roster management never ends. I doubt the Tigers wanted to trade Fister but you have to make budget driven moves.

I agree with weams here on the Johnson front, not necessarily about the tickets, but the guy had a fantastic season that year. We can say oh, he was subpar in a couple playoffs games, I think we need to dump him. But a GM can't really afford to make that deal and give up on a valuable closer who was a big part of a winning team based on just a feeling like that.

I know I'm not supposed to root for good things to happen to our direct Wild Card competition, but I feel bad for JJ. Having to watch an ex-Oriole (one who was a good teammate and a good guy) go through this is just brutal.

Reminds me of watching Koji's performance with Texas in '11 and how everyone in that city and organization just wanted him to go away.

I agree with weams here on the Johnson front, not necessarily about the tickets, but the guy had a fantastic season that year. We can say oh, he was subpar in a couple playoffs games, I think we need to dump him. But a GM can't really afford to make that deal and give up on a valuable closer who was a big part of a winning team based on just a feeling like that.

He did have fantastic results in 2012 but anyone looking past the the first level of information could see that it was unsustainable.

Who said anything about dumping him? I think the premise is more along the lines that he had a huge season that he was unlikely to ever duplicate so flip him while his value is high so you can add another asset to the mix.

I know I'm not supposed to root for good things to happen to our direct Wild Card competition, but I feel bad for JJ. Having to watch an ex-Oriole (one who was a good teammate and a good guy) go through this is just brutal.

Reminds me of watching Koji's performance with Texas in '11 and how everyone in that city and organization just wanted him to go away.

I agree with you here. I don't like that JJ is struggling. However, as much as I like Koji I wish he would struggle a bit.

Who said anything about dumping him? I think the premise is more along the lines that he had a huge season that he was unlikely to ever duplicate so flip him while his value is high so you can add another asset to the mix.

Yea, even I wanted some degree of value back after the 2012 season.