Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Not much power but this is what to expect at this point. Still getting on base and nice average though. Same old Nick!

AVG 292

OBP 394

That would be the 2nd highest OBP of his career. Needless to say I don't think it's gonna hold up.

That would be the 2nd highest OBP of his career. Needless to say I don't think it's gonna hold up.

It won't, that said I think he'll eventually hit a few homeruns and some more doubles than he has to this point and take that slugging up from .323 with a .030 ISO. Even with the high OBP (.386 today), Both Bref and Fangraphs are holding him at around replacement value right now. Small sample size warning but some of that is from below average defense and baserunning thrown in the mix.

Looking more and more like Dan got this one right.

It won't, that said I think he'll eventually hit a few homeruns and some more doubles than he has to this point and take that slugging up from .323 with a .030 ISO. Even with the high OBP (.386 today), Both Bref and Fangraphs are holding him at around replacement value right now. Small sample size warning but some of that is from below average defense and baserunning thrown in the mix.

I think it is more of a case of Hart getting it wrong.

I think it is more of a case of Hart getting it wrong.

That too. I do wonder what other suitors were out there though. I think the Tigers had some interest if I'm not mistaken. Even at a discounted price this is starting to look pretty bad. Still early though I guess, but it doesn't look good at all.

Could be. Nick has had his hot and cold spells so far this season, but lack of XBH has been a constant. I think it would be pretty much impossible to generate significant value with an ISO hovering between .30-.40. That said, it's one month into a four year deal, and he did not have a normal winter or spring training. So, we'll see.

Could be. Nick has had his hot and cold spells so far this season, but lack of XBH has been a constant. I think it would be pretty much impossible to generate significant value with an ISO hovering between .30-.40. That said, it's one month into a four year deal, and he did not have a normal winter or spring training. So, we'll see.

True, but my thinking was this would likely be the most valuable year of the 4. I've been watching him as I'm sure you have as well. He's just not driving the ball with any authority beyond the infield.

That too. I do wonder what other suitors were out there though. I think the Tigers had some interest if I'm not mistaken. Even at a discounted price this is starting to look pretty bad. Still early though I guess, but it doesn't look good at all.

It was Atlanta or Baltimore. Atlanta if Nick wanted four years.

This is where fans got too wrapped up in OBP. Instead of being the means that best correlated to a desirable end' date=' it became the desirable end.[/quote']

That and they haven't had a decent leadoff hitter in years so they have forgotten what they look like.

I have to think that he'll eventually hit for a little power. Right now his ISO is essentially the same as an average pitcher batting. He has to be better than that.

This is where fans got too wrapped up in OBP. Instead of being the means that best correlated to a desirable end' date=' it became the desirable end.[/quote']

Are you saying that getting on base a lot isn't a desirable end? I'd say Eddie Yost had a pretty fine career despite being a one-tool player, with that one tool being getting on base via the walk. Really, the single most important skill for a position player is not making outs.