Grading the July 2018 Trades: an update

now

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think you underestimate the number of children today named Ql'zon'da, pronounced "Jasmine".  In 2020 Jorja is unremarkable.

Seriously?

when I was a little boy, my eyes and ears couldn’t reconcile “Siobhan” equating to “Shiovan” and when I read “Highlights for Children“ one of the recurring cartoon characters was a wolf named “Aloysius” which I only recently learned is NOT pronounced “aloy zee us”

The times, they ave gotten more complicated, and no mistake...or maybe it is a mistake.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Philip said:

Seriously?

when I was a little boy, my eyes and ears couldn’t reconcile “Siobhan” equating to “Shiovan” and when I read “Highlights for Children“ one of the recurring cartoon characters was a wolf named “Aloysius” which I only recently learned is NOT pronounced “aloy zee us”

The times, they ave gotten more complicated, and no mistake...or maybe it is a mistake.

At high school graduation I was surprised to note that seemingly 1/10th of my class had the middle name Aloysius.  Maybe a local SoMd thing?  A Catholic thing?  I don't know, but it was a lot.

On strangely spelled names, I'm just confused by the many, many people who use alternate spellings for seemingly normal(ish) names.  It's unclear if the parents just spelled it incorrectly, or prioritized uniqueness over their child having to deal with being named Jayzz'myine instead of Jasmine.  The next chicken I get for the backyard coop will be named something Icelandic, but also involving semi-colons.

• Haha 1