Playoffs are set

SteveA

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ballpark-dimensions/id1002799146

This is the re-branded Statcast podcast; they were pretty nuts for last night's game.

SG had highlighted Yanks 95ish avg FB velocity the other night; last night both teams were 97.

It was a perfect storm of winner take all with all the best aces having sufficient rest, plus just rounding into midseason form of the regular baseball calendar.

The Rays sticking with Fairbanks for a second inning after a bumpy first said something to me.  In Game 4, the booth made much of the Thompson/Yarbrough style contrast, and how Cash liked to mix up styles.

Last night, as Glasnow yielded to Anderson, and then Anderson to Fairbanks, the observation was all three of those guys are basically the same style.  Mixing up styles one concludes only comes into play when you're out of guys who can dominate like that.

I thought Snell might be higher in the pecking order last night, but heard instead that even with the season on the line, the Rays think the second inning of work from the Fairbankses and Castillos of the world's stuff is better on a per-inning basis than even a Cy Young holder who I think of as more pure stuff than refinement.  Castillo finishing with Snell and Morton in the pen behind him is a pretty great distillation of 2020 baseball.

Learned the Fairbanks double Tommy John biographical detail, and figure this won't be a long run, but two more weeks is all they need.

Brosseau's game winner mentioned as I believe the fastest recorded pitch ever to give up a HR.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ballpark-dimensions/id1002799146

This is the re-branded Statcast podcast; they were pretty nuts for last night's game.

SG had highlighted Yanks 95ish avg FB velocity the other night; last night both teams were 97.

It was a perfect storm of winner take all with all the best aces having sufficient rest, plus just rounding into midseason form of the regular baseball calendar.

The Rays sticking with Fairbanks for a second inning after a bumpy first said something to me.  In Game 4, the booth made much of the Thompson/Yarbrough style contrast, and how Cash liked to mix up styles.

Last night, as Glasnow yielded to Anderson, and then Anderson to Fairbanks, the observation was all three of those guys are basically the same style.  Mixing up styles one concludes only comes into play when you're out of guys who can dominate like that.

I thought Snell might be higher in the pecking order last night, but heard instead that even with the season on the line, the Rays think the second inning of work from the Fairbankses and Castillos of the world's stuff is better on a per-inning basis than even a Cy Young holder who I think of as more pure stuff than refinement.  Castillo finishing with Snell and Morton in the pen behind him is a pretty great distillation of 2020 baseball.

Learned the Fairbanks double Tommy John biographical detail, and figure this won't be a long run, but two more weeks is all they need.

Brosseau's game winner mentioned as I believe the fastest recorded pitch ever to give up a HR.

Snell is probably going to be available more quickly with the smaller workload.

o

Framber Valdez )has greatly improved his walk-rate in 2020 over the previous 2 seasons (2018 and 2019) ...... in 2018 it was 5.838, in 2019 it was 5.604, and in 2020 it was 2.038. In fact, he had the exact same number of Innings Pitched in 2019 and 2020 (70.67), and his Walks plummeted from 44 to 16. ) O.o

2018: lll 37.00 Innings Pitched lll-lll 24 llWalks

2019: lll 70.67 Innings Pitched lll-lll 44 llWalks

2020: lll 70.67 Innings Pitched lll-ll. 16 l.Walks

Interestingly,) Blake Snell)led the Major Leagues in the same category as his teammate)Tyler Glasnow )did ....... Wild Pitches (7.)

(A.L.C.S.) )))))) [GAME ONE]

HOUSTON ASTROS

George Cheslton Springer III - CF

Jose Altuve - 2B

Michael Charles Brantley, Jr. - LF

Alexander David "A.D." Bregman - 3B

Carlos Javier Correa Oppenheimer - SS

Kyle Tucker - RF

Yulieski Gurriel Castillo - 1B

Aledmys Diaz Serrano - DH

Martin Benjamin Maldonado Valdes - C

Framber Valdez - LHP )) (5-3, 3.57 ERA)

TAMPA BAY DEVIL R AYS

Michael Brousseau - 3B 

Randy Arozarena - DH

Brandon Lowe - 2B

Yandy Diaz Fernandez - 1B 

Dustin Hunter Renfroe - RF

Willy Rafael Luna Adames - SS

Manuel Margot Gomez - LF

Kevin James "K.J." Kiermaier - CF

Michael Zunino - C

Blake Ashton Snell - LHP )) (4-2, 3.24 ERA) ) *

* )) Led the Major Leagues in Wild Pitches (7)

https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups

o

o

Charlie Morton  )is 3rd among active Major League pitchers in his career in avoiding giving up Home Runs ...... his career Home Run rate is 0.7629 Per 9 Innings Pitched.

Clayton Kershaw:  llll 0.6982 Per 9 Innings Pitched

Adam Wainwright:  llll 0.7302 Per 9 Innings Pitched

Charlie Morton:  lllllll 0.7629 Per 9 Innings Pitched

(A.L.C.S.) )))))) [GAME TWO]

HOUSTON ASTROS

George Cheslton Springer III - CF

Jose Altuve - 2B

Michael Charles Brantley, Jr. - DH

Alexander David "A.D." Bregman - 3B

Kyle Tucker - LF

Carlos Javier Correa Oppenheimer - SS

Yulieski Gurriel Castillo - 1B

William Joshua Reddick - RF

Martin Benjamin Maldonado Valdes - C

Lance Graye McCullers, Jr. - RHP )) (3-3, 3.93 ERA)

TAMPA BAY DEVIL R AYS

Austin Meadows - DH

Brandon Lowe - 2B

Randy Arozarena - LF

崔志萬 - 1B 

Manuel Margot Gomez - RF

Joseph Patrick "J.P." Wendle - 3B

Willy Rafael Luna Adames - SS

Kevin James "K.J." Kiermaier - CF

Michael Zunino - C

Charles Alfred Morton IV - RHP )) (2-2, 4.74 ERA)

https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups

o

• Upvote 1