Playoffs are set

SteveA

I feel like he's been gone long enough so I can say it and feel fine about it, but Manny Machado is a doucheloaf.  

No qualms about throwing a bat after a homer, but don't get pissy after Bellinger makes a great catch and the Dodgers want to celebrate it.  If you want to dish it, you gotta be able to take it.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I for one am amazed he managed to do well without proving himself at every minor league level first.

I’m pretty sure we won’t be seeing Weathers on the Padres’ opening day roster next year.    And I’m glad he had a successful 1.1 innings in a high pressure situation, but I wouldn’t conclude that he’s ready to be a major league pitcher based on that one outing.     Obviously, the Padres did think he could be useful as a reliever in the short term without disrupting his development.    So, good for him.  

I guess we've come to the day Boone probably ought to play his Aroldis card in whatever inning necessary lest the series end without him playing.

At least Britton had an 8th inning in a normal close game Monday.

It changes fast in October.  The Tuesday watch was stressful lest the Yankees threaten to sweep and let Cole relax for the next Monday night.

I think the game theory runs don't even consider Cole tonight since you need the two wins, but imagine some of the NYC media will be clamoring.

I imagine Yankees rotation next year perhaps Cole/German/Montgomery/Garcia/Schmidt as Paxton/Tanaka/Happ mostly transition to the "not good enough for the Yankees" phase of their careers.  Without the big bad wolf, I don't really fear that, even for the early Rutschman teams.  So I guess I'm rooting for the Yankees tonight so we can see how the short rest "manageable adjustment" plays out.   Maybe Snell and Glasnow tomorrow too, if Game 5 can give us some spin on the Andre the Giant 2-on-1 matches of yore.   At the top end I could see Chapman, Britton, Cole going 225 pitches these two days.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I feel like he's been gone long enough so I can say it and feel fine about it, but Manny Machado is a doucheloaf.  

No qualms about throwing a bat after a homer, but don't get pissy after Bellinger makes a great catch and the Dodgers want to celebrate it.  If you want to dish it, you gotta be able to take it.

:gallden:  Haha what I thought exactly.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I guess we've come to the day Boone probably ought to play his Aroldis card in whatever inning necessary lest the series end without him playing.

At least Britton had an 8th inning in a normal close game Monday.

It changes fast in October.  The Tuesday watch was stressful lest the Yankees threaten to sweep and let Cole relax for the next Monday night.

I think the game theory runs don't even consider Cole tonight since you need the two wins, but imagine some of the NYC media will be clamoring.

I imagine Yankees rotation next year perhaps Cole/German/Montgomery/Garcia/Schmidt as Paxton/Tanaka/Happ mostly transition to the "not good enough for the Yankees" phase of their careers.  Without the big bad wolf, I don't really fear that, even for the early Rutschman teams.  So I guess I'm rooting for the Yankees tonight so we can see how the short rest "manageable adjustment" plays out.   Maybe Snell and Glasnow tomorrow too, if Game 5 can give us some spin on the Andre the Giant 2-on-1 matches of yore.   At the top end I could see Chapman, Britton, Cole going 225 pitches these two days.

Trevor stirring the pot:

But also:

A favorite cherry-pick as I aspire for Cole to have the Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin postseason

In 2020 those Nationals heroes pitched 138 innings of 4.43 ball

In 2020, Alex Cobb, John Means and Tommy Milone (for the Orioles) pitched 125 innings of 4.31 ball, and would need to let in 8 ER in 12.67 innings to match.

Cole's younger and stronger than those champions, but nobody's supply is infinite.  I don't mind if he has Bob Gibson's 1967/1968 now and next October - a Game 7 loss would just be a cherry on top.

Last postseason I basically saw Gleyber as AL Juan Soto.  I just saw him attempt a bunt coming off maybe a 10th percentile season.  I think there's a fair chance those Frankensteins Judge and Stanton aren't monsters a couple few years out, but who this guy is controls a good chunk of how much oxygen is in the AL East room

10 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Last postseason I basically saw Gleyber as AL Juan Soto.  I just saw him attempt a bunt coming off maybe a 10th percentile season.  I think there's a fair chance those Frankensteins Judge and Stanton aren't monsters a couple few years out, but who this guy is controls a good chunk of how much oxygen is in the AL East room

I'm eager to see how Jasson turns out.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's smart but he isn't smart enough to realize he isn't that smart.

I think the Yankees one is just taunting Cole.  Can't imagine Cashman would put $70M on that alchemy.  I will enjoy the transparency, and kind of imagine it will be as if Scott Boras put his "ownership level presentation" on Chris Davis up on YouTube.  I also think it'll drop off when teams are like - OK, you've been great twice in six years, with a big 2020 asterisk on one of them, plus you are you.

Anyway, lovely Game 4 tonight.  Britton and Chapman about 22 apiece.  I felt faint echoes of Jansen coming in for Graterol as Boone called on Aroldis after Britton's crisp 5 outs.  Frankly, I think the move was to protect Britton for tomorrow with a 3-run lead, and would have loved to see how it played out if it was 2-1.  Britton may have had a shot at the Liam Hendriks 3-inning thing, at the expense of tomorrow unavailability.

I think my prior for Tampa pitching tomorrow is Anderson, Snell and Glasnow each once through the order.  Maybe Castillo for the right 2-3 guys; even Fairbanks I'm guessing is just kind of an emergency guy.  Thrilling possibilities for Cole to be his own 7th and 8th inning guy up to 120 some pitches if the game stays close.  Just like some quarterfinal classic at a Grand Slam, fair chance for game of the postseason with Dodgers maybe poised to flirt with the 13-0 thing, and Astros clouds over the ALCS.

Wonder if Glasnow's chased down his pitch tipping demons since last year.  I think Siegers in the bottom of the 8th was half resigning, and gave Chapman a bit of a break.

The no off days is pretty glorious.  If Yanks advance, maybe Cole on an ALCS 2/6 line, each again on three days rest, if the Astros can extend it to six.

o

Gerrit Cole will be pitching on 3 days' rest, while Tyler Glasnow will be on only 2 days' rest ........ neither has ever started a game on less than 4 days' rest in their entire Major League careers.

(A.L.D.S.) )))))) [GAME FIVE]

NEW YORK YANKEES

David John "D.J." LeMahieu - 2B

Aaron James "A.J."Judge - RF   

Aaron Hicks - CF 

Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton -DH

Louis Linwood Voit III - 1B

Giovanny Urshela - 3B

Gleyber David Torres Castro - SS

Brett Gardner - LF

Kyle Higashioka - C

Gerrit Alan Cole - RHP )) (7-3, 2.84 ERA) ) * ))) *

* )) Led the American League in CG-Shutouts (1) and Complete Games (1 /// 2)

* )) Is credited with 2 Complete Games, but one of them was only 5 Innings Pitched (Rain-Shortened Game)

TAMPA BAY DEVIL R AYS

Austin Meadows - RF

Brandon Lowe - 2B

Randy Arozarena - LF

崔志萬 - 1B

Yandy Diaz Fernandez - DH  

Joseph Patrick "J.P." Wendle - 3B

Willy Rafael Luna Adames - SS

Kevin James "K.J." Kiermaier - CF

Michael Zunino - C

Tyler Allen Glasnow - RHP )) (5-1, 4.08 ERA) ) *

* )) Led the Major Leagues in Wild Pitches (7)

https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups

o