State of the System: Catcher - Grade A-

ScGO's

I would love to see more depth in the minors, but ultimately if Adley is even close to what we expect, it won't matter. We have the starter for years to come and finding useful backup catchers isn't a particularly challenging task.

I like Severino and Sisco as options, but would not mind seeing if either has much trade value this offseason. Instill the other as the starter until Adley is ready and pick up defensive minded backups on minor league deals.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

To SG's point, either one is a good backup.  But AR makes everything more palatable and must be accounted for if you're looking at the entire system, not just the ML roster.  

I must have misunderstood the OP. I thought it was grading the season, and not the future.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I must have misunderstood the OP. I thought it was grading the season, and not the future.

Well the title of the thread is "State of the System" and the OP explicitly talks about AR....

It's all good though.  I like our catching situation when looking at the entirety of the system, but AR is the largest driving factor there.

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Depth drove that one.  We have the best catching prospect, but not much depth.  Knock on wood, Adley gets hurt/doesn't perform, our grade would drop tremendously.

Really appreciate your reports, keep them coming. 

That being said... I'm not sure that Adley and the Mehs warrant any grade that starts with an "A". The state of catchers in the system doesn't seem strong if it depends solely on one player.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well the title of the thread is "State of the System" and the OP explicitly talks about AR....

It's all good though.  I like our catching situation when looking at the entirety of the system, but AR is the largest driving factor there.

If he's a miss the entire rebuild takes a huge hit.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..this doesn’t make any sense.

This rating is based on the ORGANIZATIONAL catching situation.  This isn’t, who has good ML catchers.

Rutschman is a top 5 prospect and talked about as one of the best C prospects ever.

Right now, the Orioles catching organizational C situation is one of the best in the sport just because of that.

The only reason its not an A+ is because Adley isn’t up here and performing.

Now, of course, a lot of this is based on potential but so what?  All of these types of lists are based on potential.

Yes I misunderstood the OP, I thought it was about grades for the season, and not for the organization.

I would have liked to have had this grader as my grader when I went through school because when you grade on potential to a large extent, it is little more than a crapshoot.  They should be given some weight, esp. Adley, but even he is still only potential.. Hope the grades are even close to accurate.  

3 hours ago, Philip said:

That’s complete malarkey. But as I said, AR isn’t anything except potential. It is illogical to give a grade on how our catching situation is right now, completely based on a potential that is two years away.

These threads are about the strengths of the organization as a whole at the various positions, not the current strength of the major league team.   I agree grades should not be “completely” based on players in the minors, especially ones who haven’t played an official game above low A.    But the guy was considered to be the easiest 1:1 choice since Harper.    That’s not nothing.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Depends on how others turn out.  This isn't like drafting a quarterback with the #1 overall pick.

Yea, no matter how the rest turn out, barring of course some kid's whose name I don't know turning into an all-star catcher, AR bombing will still be a big blow.

Even if we end up with a playoff team, losing out on an MVP candidate at catcher is still going to hurt.