Place the O's minor league infielders

wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

From what I have read:

AAA Norfolk will stay because its the only park in the O's system the qualifies as a AAA park

AA Bowie will stay because its the only park in the O's system the qualifies  as a AA park

The GCL Orioles will remain as a Rookie League.

Aberdeen will stay because it a great facilities and if the O's does not field at team in the Short A NY Penn league  Aberdeen will move up to an A or A+ League.

Frederick was on the initial cut list but Delmarva may be in the discussion if the O's cut at team.  I think the Nationals would be interested in picking up either location and cutting Hagerstown.

The information so far seems that the O's will have  AAA, AA, A+, A and Rookie teams.  The location of the A+ and A league team are under discussion.

If the Orioles have a final say, they should definitely not give up Frederick as an affiliate. 

A agree that Norfolk stays, but I'm not so sure Frederick or Aberdeen would not meet Double-A standards and Bowie is the worse stadium by far of the options. 

I think either Bowie or Delmarva gets cut and it makes more sense for Bowie since it associates itself more as a Washington suburb than Baltimore.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They said he held his own, which isn't exactly definitive. He also wasn't facing all AA and higher pitching.  If he's truly ready for AA, that's fine.  I just don't assume the comment that he held his own means that.

Henderson said the pitchers’ consistently high velocity was something that he just hadn’t seen and was an early challenge, coming right after the longest spell away from a baseball field that he’d ever had. The camp featured top pitching prospects Grayson Rodriguez and DL Hall, plus hard-throwers Michael Baumann and Kyle Bradish. It was also where Dean Kremer, Keegan Akin and Bruce Zimmermann were putting the finishing touches on their development ahead of major league debuts. The relievers, too, all had major league stuff and experience.

https://news.yahoo.com/gunnar-henderson-orioles-youngest-prospect-141100402.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS91cmw_c2E9dCZyY3Q9aiZxPSZlc3JjPXMmc291cmNlPXdlYiZjZD0mdmVkPTJhaFVLRXdqVDVKR1J2NlBzQWhWa2tlQUtIWG1oQmVJUUZqQUVlZ1FJQlJBQyZ1cmw9aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZuZXdzLnlhaG9vLmNvbSUyRmd1bm5hci1oZW5kZXJzb24tb3Jpb2xlcy15b3VuZ2VzdC1wcm9zcGVjdC0xNDExMDA0MDIuaHRtbCZ1c2c9QU92VmF3MVU0cTZpNWM1bFlIVGlJTGd0amR4bw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJOFXS5OAoGoZE6-4WSwrhRGW14pX0FQBDAiLCQsMhbxQsr2Pl2GoFDOcIWTkDi7nwrWFkTT_66fH88CHgQDg9Kgr3lJE-ScSK_3ctxQ8ROs5lmO2J6ja4UvPsYUk5OyzsXQUnuANOADTygKX_ra6rrIcOiDUIML_xZLw8RERARz

I understand that not all the pitching he was facing was AA or higher.  For instance the O's top two pitching prospects have not pitched at AA yet.  However he faced higher level pitching than he would see in Delmarva.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Nobody did though in reality. There was no season.

I took what I heard from the Bowie camp with a grain of salt. I agree with the idea there are different ways to develop a player and it is possible the camp was very helpful. That said it still was not a full MiL season. If he overmatches the talent early on next year you can always move him up. Adjust to what you are seeing. I would like for him to play as much SS as possible to see if he can stick there. I don’t see the harm. 

I agree with the “grain of salt” comment 100%. I am more than willing to believe that he did extremely well considering... But no one saw him except the players and coaches at Bowie, so we have no idea what holding his own means.. Wasn’t playing against non-friendly faces and riding buses every three or four days. I have high hopes for the guy, but certainly wouldn’t start him at AA.

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Would someone have publicly said it if he was overmatched.

Totally fair point.  As fun a resource as the team podcast that some of this stuff come from was, it is team media.   Oh, Hall and Rodriguez have stuff to work on - I'm shocked.  No doubt they do but in age-based free agency world, I think both are real contenders for next year's rotation.

Elias did tease in the one video he did about instructional that a few other clubs close to Sarasota "hoped" some intersquad stuff could happen.  I presume it'll be incumbent on everyone there to have 10-14 safe days, and then maybe some kind of final week jamboree could take place.

Gunnar v. Westburg is a fun NCAA sophomore trying to take a NCAA senior's job - Carolina League Frederick does feel like the natural spot for both of them.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

From what I have read:

AAA Norfolk will stay because its the only park in the O's system the qualifies as a AAA park

AA Bowie will stay because its the only park in the O's system the qualifies  as a AA park

The GCL Orioles will remain as a Rookie League.

Aberdeen will stay because it a great facilities and if the O's does not field at team in the Short A NY Penn league  Aberdeen will move up to an A or A+ League.

Frederick was on the initial cut list but Delmarva may be in the discussion if the O's cut at team.  I think the Nationals would be interested in picking up either location and cutting Hagerstown.

The information so far seems that the O's will have  AAA, AA, A+, A and Rookie teams.  The location of the A+ and A league team are under discussion.

My understanding is that the rookie league is likely to disappear.   And Aberdeen will move up to a higher league.   Which full season team disappears in favor of Aberdeen is not completely clear.   

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My understanding is that the rookie league is likely to disappear.   And Aberdeen will move up to a higher league.   Which full season team disappears in favor of Aberdeen is not completely clear.   

BaltimoreBaseball.com is reporting that the GCL Orioles will not be eliminated.  

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2020/10/06/next-year-uncertain-orioles-minor-league-teams/

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If the Orioles have a final say, they should definitely not give up Frederick as an affiliate. 

A agree that Norfolk stays, but I'm not so sure Frederick or Aberdeen would not meet Double-A standards and Bowie is the worse stadium by far of the options. 

I think either Bowie or Delmarva gets cut and it makes more sense for Bowie since it associates itself more as a Washington suburb than Baltimore.

I thought Frederick was built to double-A standards as at one time, they hoped to get AAA to Bowie.

Question: How many players are in a typical minor-league organization? 25 plus X? What is X?

So that’s 150-180 players in the organization? And with shrinkage, the “filler” guys will be tossed(no severance, no health care. Sorry for them) ?

So how many players will remain in the organization? How many “spots” will we end up with?