The Edge: Ben Reiter Podcast

CarrRun49

I don't typically like beating a dead horse with the Orioles to Astros comparison, but Reiter goes in depth and behind the scenes on the aftermath of the cheating scandal.  Interviews with Mike Bolsinger (suing the Astros), Mike Trembley, and Mike Lunhow himself just through the first two episodes.  Couple of interesting tidbits I've hear thus far include:

-Lunhow hired Seattle's advanced scouting director in 2012 and the first thing he told Trembley was that he has all of their signs from the year prior. (This was and probably still is a league wide issue)

-Lunhow continued to draft players no one thought fit the pick. (Like many question here)

-Lunhow was upset at Reiter for saying the Astros would win the World Series in 2017 on the cover of SI, a full two years prior to when the Astros front office had circled for themselves.  That's 8 years after they took over.  Let that sink in, if we are on a similar timeline.  See you soon 2026.

I could go on and on, but no need for me to do that, just go take a listen for yourselves.  It's a good follow up to Astroball and greater insight of the behind the scenes action of their FO.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I was going to post about this podcast as well, listened to both available episodes and the podcast itself, is done very well.  Even delving into the past about Astrodome and Astro's owner they called "The Governor".   I've listened to Reiter on his CBS radio show before and really like him as a host and as I am sure most here already know that he wrote Astroball. 

I was going to note the part about the Seattle employee who stated they did posthumously analyze the signals of at least the Astro's, I am sure they did this with other teams as well (AL west, all of the AL, not sure, it is not said), but does come in line somewhat with what @Can_of_corn has been saying about most/all teams/players are trying to cheat (or find that Edge as noted in the podcast) in some way or form all the time, just that the Astro's just got caught.   I still think the Astro's took it too far, way beyond what anyone or any organization had done previously IMO, but it will be interesting to hear the rest of this podcast and get an inside look at an organization trying to find any edge they can get to get to the top. 

I do sure hope the timeline for the O's is closer to how it worked out for the Astro's and not what they had estimated as their goal. 

Also, to keep this Orioles related there are mentions of Elias and Sig and the development of the analytics they use to draft players (more Sig than Elias so far).

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, murph said:

I was going to post about this podcast as well, listened to both available episodes and the podcast itself, is done very well.  Even delving into the past about Astrodome and Astro's owner they called "The Governor".   I've listened to Reiter on his CBS radio show before and really like him as a host and as I am sure most here already know that he wrote Astroball. 

I was going to note the part about the Seattle employee who stated they did posthumously analyze the signals of at least the Astro's, I am sure they did this with other teams as well (AL west, all of the AL, not sure, it is not said), but does come in line somewhat with what @Can_of_corn has been saying about most/all teams/players are trying to cheat (or find that Edge as noted in the podcast) in some way or form all the time, just that the Astro's just got caught.   I still think the Astro's took it too far, way beyond what anyone or any organization had done previously IMO, but it will be interesting to hear the rest of this podcast and get an inside look at an organization trying to find any edge they can get to get to the top. 

I do sure hope the timeline for the O's is closer to how it worked out for the Astro's and not what they had estimated as their goal. 

Also, to keep this Orioles related there are mentions of Elias and Sig and the development of the analytics they use to draft players (more Sig than Elias so far).

Episode 3 was released today.  2018 interview with Beltran and Utley.  

Is it bad I am waiting for the cringeworthy information that Elias was deeply involved?  I still find it fascinating that someone that close to the GM walked away scot-free

3 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

Episode 3 was released today.  2018 interview with Beltran and Utley.  

Is it bad I am waiting for the cringeworthy information that Elias was deeply involved?  I still find it fascinating that someone that close to the GM walked away scot-free

Yeah. It's bad. He was not involved in the MLB product those years. Look for cheating abroad if you wish to Tar him. 

12 hours ago, weams said:

Yeah. It's bad. He was not involved in the MLB product those years. Look for cheating abroad if you wish to Tar him. 

I don't wish to tar him. I support Elias.  Just a simple statement that "I'm waiting for information on Elias to come up", is not saying " I hope Elias is dragged into this". Two very different statements.

3 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

I don't wish to tar him. I support Elias.  Just a simple statement that "I'm waiting for information on Elias to come up", is not saying " I hope Elias is dragged into this". Two very different statements.

I don't care for either. They are both sensational with little merit. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, if we are cheating, Elias did a poor job of bringing that over.

I don't think we are.  But, I also believe it's very naive and short sighted to say "he doesn't know anything" and "wasn't involved" without knowing.  All of the front office personnel sitting in the same suite in 2017 and no one said a word? Sure.

14 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

I don't think we are.  But, I also believe it's very naive and short sighted to say "he doesn't know anything" and "wasn't involved" without knowing.  All of the front office personnel sitting in the same suite in 2017 and no one said a word? Sure.

I’m sure he knew it was going on at some level.  What we don’t know is the extent of what he knew.  

I definitely think it’s possible he didn’t know how far they were taking it.

Either way, I don’t really care.  All the teams are doing it in some way or another.  It’s just a matter of who is or isn’t getting caught.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Operational security didn't seem to be a priority.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m sure he knew it was going on at some level.  What we don’t know is the extent of what he knew.  

I definitely think it’s possible he didn’t know how far they were taking it.

Either way, I don’t really care.  All the teams are doing it in some way or another.  It’s just a matter of who is or isn’t getting caught.

-Point 1- That's what I was getting at when I said I am just waiting for him to get looped into the podcast in a not so pleasant light.

-Point 2- Noted that in the OP.  

Just thought this was an interesting podcast...didn't mean to offend the people with Orioles blinders on by implying he knows more than "nothing" "not involved with mlb team"

Edited by CarrRun49

3 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

-Point 1- That's what I was getting at when I said I am just waiting for him to get looped into the podcast in a not so pleasant light.

-Point 2- Noted that in the OP.  

Just thought this was an interesting podcast...didn't mean to offend the people with Orioles blinders on by implying he knows more than "nothing" "not involved with mlb team"

Oh, I certainly don’t take offense to it.  I just think it’s more of a non story than anything.

Elias has been looked into and they found nothing, so I don’t think it’s worth investigating any further.

It would be interesting to know how much he knew though.  I think it’s naive to believe he knew nothing.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh, I certainly don’t take offense to it.  I just think it’s more of a non story than anything.

Elias has been looked into and they found nothing, so I don’t think it’s worth investigating any further.

It would be interesting to know how much he knew though.  I think it’s naive to believe he knew nothing.

Agreed.

Is it just me, or do Jeff Luhnow and Sig Mejdal talk exactly the same?  I mean not just in terms of the words they use and the obvious intelligence, but in the tone and accent of their voices as well.  If I didn’t know it was Luhnow talking, I would easily think it’s Sig.