Tony La Russa...?

Moose Milligan

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

So we should expect Tampa's manager to speak to Joey Wendle about his home run off Stevie Wilkerson in the 9th today.

And the next time we play Tampa, Wendle damn well better be ready to hit the deck because it's comin' in high and tight!

I just don’t get this analogy. Wendle hacked 1-1. Mercedes swung 3-0 after getting a take sign. Nobody said he should try to make an out. Do you steal up 11 runs? 

LaRussa is a target of the media and for them it’s like shooting fish in a barrel. Any opportunity anyone gets to go after him they will do it. 

20 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I just don’t get this analogy. Wendle hacked 1-1. Mercedes swung 3-0 after getting a take sign. Nobody said he should try to make an out. Do you steal up 11 runs? 

LaRussa is a target of the media and for them it’s like shooting fish in a barrel. Any opportunity anyone gets to go after him they will do it. 

Yeah, Wendle's situation was not remotely the same thing.

I'm 100% on LaRussa's side on this one.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, Wendle's situation was not remotely the same thing.

I'm 100% on LaRussa's side on this one.

I am also. He is a target. Once again I get why people don’t like him. If you don’t think he should have got the job that is more than fair. That said not hacking 3-0 in a blowout isn’t a big ask.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I am also. He is a target. Once again I get why people don’t like him. If you don’t think he should have got the job that is more than fair. That said not hacking 3-0 in a blowout isn’t a big ask.  

But taking the opposition's side over your own team members is so much more wrong than swinging on 3-0 would ever be.  The man literally said he was trying to keep his player from getting thrown at and then shrugged when his guy was thrown at.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But taking the opposition's side over your own team members is so much more wrong than swinging on 3-0 would ever be.  The man literally said he was trying to keep his player from getting thrown at and then shrugged when his guy was thrown at.

I agree 100%. I don't see how his players respect him after those comments (besides the WS rings). 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did the players respect him when Mercedes hit away and all his teammates agreed with him ?

He gives a take sign to avoid a confrontation and then it happens. Had Mercedes listened none of this happens. 

He could have kept it in house or handled it different but I can see where he would be pissed.  

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Did the players respect him when Mercedes hit away and all his teammates agreed with him ?

He gives a take sign to avoid a confrontation and then it happens. Had Mercedes listened none of this happens. 

He could have kept it in house or handled it different but I can see where he would be pissed.  

Did he even give a take sign?  We don't actually know.  I'd love to see footage of him racing to the stop of the dugout to try and stop things...which is something he claimed happened.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting debate.  What's more important, loyalty or consistency?  If your friend is in the wrong on an argument, and you know he's in the wrong, do you still back him up because he's your friend?  Deep Hangout questions on a Friday morning.

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Interesting debate.  What's more important, loyalty or consistency?  If your friend is in the wrong on an argument, and you know he's in the wrong, do you still back him up because he's your friend?  Deep Hangout questions on a Friday morning.

You provide a united front in public than ream him in private.

Unless you've been drinking then anything goes.

Edit- I also don't like the idea that "you know he's in the wrong".  La Russa thought he was in the wrong.  It's an opinion, one I don't share.  You don't want a position player getting embarrassed?  Don't let him pitch.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Edit- I also don't like the idea that "you know he's in the wrong".  La Russa thought he was in the wrong.  It's an opinion, one I don't share.  You don't want a position player getting embarrassed?  Don't let him pitch.

Sure - I agree with LaRussa's take, but understand that others don't.  My example was more hypothetical with a tie to the situation itself.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You provide a united front in public than ream him in private.

Unless you've been drinking then anything goes.

I wouldn’t hit 3-0 count up 11 runs in the 9th regardless of who was pitching. 

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Not a fan of La Russa and his hiring, but the White Sox are in first place. ?‍♂️ If they keep winning, then White Sox fans won't care one bit about swing-away-gate. 

Sure, mostly it's about talent and the White Sox have a lot of talent.

I don't think anyone outside of La Russa himself thinks they are winning because of him.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, mostly it's about talent and the White Sox have a lot of talent.

I don't think anyone outside of La Russa himself thinks they are winning because of him.

The people who hired La Russa will think it's because of their hire. Just the way it works.