Fangraphs top 50 FA

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Is it just me, or is this an exceptionally weak class?  The #8 on the whole list is a KBO import that we're not even sure is going to translate to a MLB player. Kevin Gausman is #14, 60 innings removed from a 5.72 ERA in 2019.

Yea I agree..all of the “top guys” are on the wrong side of 30 too.

That’s obviously not abnormal but seems moreso this year.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Is it just me, or is this an exceptionally weak class?  The #8 on the whole list is a KBO import that we're not even sure is going to translate to a MLB player. Kevin Gausman is #14, 60 innings removed from a 5.72 ERA in 2019.

It will get better as more guys get their options declined or get non-tendered.

The Orioles are not going to compete next year though we can hope that next year is the beginning of a transition year where we can hope for 70-80 wins.

Right now the rotation looks like this:

1. Means
2. Cobb
3. Akins
4. Kremer

Now the good news is the team should have at least two arms that should be ready to compete for a rotation spot in Zimmermann and Baumann with Lowther, Wells, Smith and maybe Bradish in the immediate wings.

If I'm the Orioles, that's enough though if they can sign a "Milone or LeBlanc-type" starting pitcher to a minor league contract and let him compete as well it can't hurt.

I do not see this as a year the Orioles are going to sign any significant free agents, and certainly not a high priced starting pitcher.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

And Vlad!  Years after losing the sweepstakes when he was at his peak. 

Difference is that the O's failed in their earlier attempt to acquire Vlad.  With Surhoff, Conine, and Tejada they had them, saw them age and decline, traded them, and then on the cusp of 40 brought them back.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Difference is that the O's failed in their earlier attempt to acquire Vlad.  With Surhoff, Conine, and Tejada they had them, saw them age and decline, traded them, and then on the cusp of 40 brought them back.

Surhoff kind of gets a bad rap here.   His first two return seasons he was paid $1.0 mm and $800 k and produced 0.7 and 1.4 rWAR in part time play.    Both seasons, he played more than expected because guys like Bigbie, Matos and Gibbons kept either getting hurt or underperforming.   But he gave us pretty decent bang for the buck in those years.    He came crashing down to earth in 2005 at age 40 when the O’s brought him back for a third season.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Surhoff kind of gets a bad rap here.   His first two return seasons he was paid $1.0 mm and $800 k and produced 0.7 and 1.4 rWAR in part time play.    Both seasons, he played more than expected because guys like Bigbie, Matos and Gibbons kept either getting hurt or underperforming.   But he gave us pretty decent bang for the buck in those years.    He came crashing down to earth in 2005 at age 40 when the O’s brought him back for a third season.   

He was fine.  It's the front office that put the team in a position where a going nowhere 70-win team had to give significant at bats to a 40-year-old.