Elias speaks on a wide range of topics

Frobby

Well because it says the number of coaches will remain the same, it’s pretty obvious that Flores was not fired for financial reasons, but as the infield coach, he was probably fired because he was terrible. He was a bad coach, but rather than say “you suck” they told him that it was financial. Let’s hope that the next guy is better.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Well because it says the number of coaches will remain the same, it’s pretty obvious that Flores was not fired for financial reasons, but as the infield coach, he was probably fired because he was terrible. He was a bad coach, but rather than say “you suck” they told him that it was financial. Let’s hope that the next guy is better.

If you have a ML pitching coach and a director of pitching and now you have one guy doing both then you eliminated an employee.  Does anyone think Holt is getting two paychecks and two sets of benefits?

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I watched the Elias video and read Roch's blog. (I recommend the video)

Several things:

1) Sounds like the new minors league structure will have minor league teams and something like the Alternate Camp.  And the rules will be changed to allow minor league player to move between the two.   At least that is what I think I hear.

2) Elias thinks that Sanchez can play 2B, 3B and believes he could help at SS.    We knew about 2B/3B but hearing what Mike said makes me think that Sanchez may be the first backup for Iglesias at short.   That is significant for the roster configuration.  If Elias can sign him before the arbitration date.

3) Sounds like Elias thinks that Lowther and Baumann are very close be being able to contribute at the major league level. 

4) He mentioned making a path for prospects which made me think about trading Nunez to make room for Diaz.  Mike did not say that directly.

A side note I saw from other articles.  O's signed catcher Taylor Davis as minor league free agent.  That would seem to allow them to take the risk of DFAing Wynns to open another spot of the 40 man roster.

Doubtful Nunez can be traded. He’s basically replacement level (.03 fWAR) and limited to DH.

He’ll be sent on his way When his spot is needed.

42 minutes ago, Philip said:

Doubtful Nunez can be traded. He’s basically replacement level (.03 fWAR) and limited to DH.

He’ll be sent on his way When his spot is needed.

That’s the third or fourth time I’ve seen you say Nunez was worth .03 fWAR.    It’s not .03, it’s 0.3.    That projects out to 0.8 fWAR if they had played a full season.  And that is not a replacement level player.   It’s not great, but not replacement level.    

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Some team may just be looking to increase their home run totals and Nunez projects to hit 30 or more.   The 90 RBI in 2019 also could be attractive to a team.

I don't think a single MLB team thinks like this anymore. They might say something like that in a press release or interview to sell it to the average fan, but there's no way the guys building the roster are talking about bringing in guys to "increase homers and RBIs"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I don't think a single MLB team thinks like this anymore. They might say something like that in a press release or interview to sell it to the average fan, but there's no way the guys building the roster are talking about bringing in guys to "increase homers and RBIs"

Tony LaRussa was just name White Sox manager.   Ruben Amaro Jr is a candidate for the Angels GM.   Jerry Dipoto is the Mariner GM.   We'll see who values homers and RBI.   Especially  on the cheap.  30 homers for 2M might be enticing.

Not everyone in the game is a young analytics only guy.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s the third or fourth time I’ve seen you say Nunez was worth .03 fWAR.    It’s not .03, it’s 0.3.    That projects out to 0.8 fWAR if they had played a full season.  And that is not a replacement level player.   It’s not great, but not replacement level.    

Oops you’re exactly right. Wrong decimal point location. So what? He’s terrible. Do YOU want to keep him? He has minimal value, including none on defense, and we don’t need him.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

WAR is only one measure of Nunez's worth.  Some team may just be looking to increase their home run totals and Nunez projects to hit 30 or more.   The 90 RBI in 2019 also could be attractive to a team.

He can’t run, he can’t defend. He hits better than average but not enough to compensate. If the team thinks they must have his offense, that’s fine, but he’s too limited to be of value.

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tony LaRussa was just name White Sox manager.   Ruben Amaro Jr is a candidate for the Angels GM.   Jerry Dipoto is the Mariner GM.   We'll see who values homers and RBI.   Especially  on the cheap.  30 homers for 2M might be enticing.

Not everyone in the game is a young analytics only guy.

Well, they should be.

I agree, 30 homers has a place, I just don't think anyone would be willing to pay a premium for it.  

40 minutes ago, Philip said:

He can’t run, he can’t defend. He hits better than average but not enough to compensate. If the team thinks they must have his offense, that’s fine, but he’s too limited to be of value.

I wouldn't have thought Milone and Cashner had value.  He very well may not, but it may depend more on expectations for return.

They aren't exciting moves, but after years of ignoring these international signings, building even small pieces is something.  Not arguing you're wrong, but maybe we could get something that is deemed small enough to be better than outright cuts.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

WAR is only one measure of Nunez's worth.  Some team may just be looking to increase their home run totals and Nunez projects to hit 30 or more.   The 90 RBI in 2019 also could be attractive to a team.

I think the biggest problem with overreliance on WAR is that it does not account for the combination of different skills you need to field a good baseball team.   In other words, a team of 9 Trey Mancini’s in the lineup (2019 version) would hit well but the fielding would be absurdly bad.    A team of 9 Nick Ahmed’s probably wouldn’t go very far either, though the glove work might be slick.   I think a guy like Nunez can have a role on a team, even if he’s not an all around player.   Is it the most valuable role?   Not really.   

• Upvote 1