Elias speaks on a wide range of topics

Frobby

6 hours ago, Philip said:

No, you’re wrong, but that’s ok.

We will see how it goes, and however it goes, we both want it to be the right decision

Someone mentioned poking the bear in another thread, you're newer here so a word of advice... SG is RARELY wrong. And even when he is, he will argue til forever. He's like a terminator. He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop... EVER.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Someone mentioned poking the bear in another thread, you're newer here so a word of advice... SG is RARELY wrong. And even when he is, he will argue til forever. He's like a terminator. He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop... EVER.

Ah but I have access to the boiling cauldron of oil.... just gotta get him near the edge.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, scOtt said:

If SG and Can of Corn ever strongly disagree on something, they will create the first ever infinite thread that will eventually completely fill up the internet and lead to the downfall of civilization.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If SG and Can of Corn ever strongly disagree on something, they will create the first ever infinite thread that will eventually completely fill up the internet and lead to the downfall of civilization.

We disagree strongly on occasion.  Sometimes I get bored and stop, sometimes he does.

He just ghosted out of a discussion with me the other day.

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2020 at 9:04 AM, wildcard said:

Tony LaRussa was just name White Sox manager.   Ruben Amaro Jr is a candidate for the Angels GM.   Jerry Dipoto is the Mariner GM.   We'll see who values homers and RBI.   Especially  on the cheap.  30 homers for 2M might be enticing.

Not everyone in the game is a young analytics only guy.

Holy crap, I must've missed this. Man, it always amazes me when team's go "old school" with their managerial selections, especially with all of the new analytics that's part of the decision making nowadays. I wonder how much the 76-year old Larussa knows about analytics. 

It's just a very interesting hire. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Holy crap, I must've missed this. Man, it always amazes me when team's go "old school" with their managerial selections, especially with all of the new analytics that's part of the decision making nowadays. I wonder how much the 76-year old Larussa knows about analytics. 

I don't think analytics were part of the process. 

Looks like an ownership driven decision.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

We disagree strongly on occasion.  Sometimes I get bored and stop, sometimes he does.

He just ghosted out of a discussion with me the other day.

He's never bowed out of a "discussion" with me... but you're a better debater. ?

On 11/2/2020 at 6:27 PM, Philip said:

Well because it says the number of coaches will remain the same, it’s pretty obvious that Flores was not fired for financial reasons, but as the infield coach, he was probably fired because he was terrible. He was a bad coach, but rather than say “you suck” they told him that it was financial. Let’s hope that the next guy is better.

Orioles' "Made up reasons for firing people" division needs to step up its game".

On 11/4/2020 at 10:01 AM, Tony-OH said:

LaRussa thinks Harold Baines is a legitimate Hall of Famer based on his game winning RBI’s.    I’m guessing analyitics are not high on his list. 

Agreed very interesting hire.   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/cut4/tony-la-russa-and-chris-russo-debate-harold-baines-c301782986.html

On 11/3/2020 at 9:04 AM, wildcard said:

Tony LaRussa was just named the White Sox manager.

Ruben Amaro Jr is a candidate for the Angels GM.

Jerry DiPoto is the Mariners GM.  

We'll see who values HR's and RBI's, especially  on the cheap.

30 homers for 2M might be enticing.

Not everyone in the game is a young analytics only guy.

o

3 DAYS LATER (November 6th)

Alex Cora to Return to Red Sox as Manager, 10 Months after Parting Ways in Wake of Sign-Stealing Scandal

(By Alex Speier)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11/06/sports/red-sox-alex-cora-manager/

o

On 11/4/2020 at 10:01 AM, Tony-OH said:

If you want to know what type of manager LaRussa is, read the book "Three Nights in August."  AWESOME BOOK

21 hours ago, murph said:

LaRussa thinks Harold Baines is a legitimate Hall of Famer based on his game winning RBI’s.    I’m guessing analyitics are not high on his list. 

Agreed very interesting hire.   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/cut4/tony-la-russa-and-chris-russo-debate-harold-baines-c301782986.html

based on this interview, around 4:30, LaRussa DOES use the metrics.  He just feels it has to balanced.  I agree, and pulling Snell this year is another reminder that you have to implement metrics and analytics, but going 100% reliance on it, will not bring you home the hardware.  It might get you there, but it could also be your downfall when it comes to the clutch.

Listening to this softened me up on Baines a little bit.  His career 121 OPS+ is pretty solid. The 80's was a poorman's deadball era, and a lot Baine's offense was getting on base via hit or walk (hit over .300 8 times, and over .280 16 times.  Only struck out over 100 times once.  4 out of the 5 players in the top of his similarity score on in the Hall.  It looks like LaRussa is willing to go over the table on Russo to defend Baines' honor.  Tense.

Looks like they only kept the GWRBI stat in the 80's, so I wonder how many Baines had in his career, as LaRussa is pounding that stat through Russo's face.  Baines' value is somewhat qualitative according to LaRussa; his consistency and longevity put him in a lot of clutch situations that we don't really have stats for.  Like when did he take a walk in a clutch situation to extend a rally.  Or how many times did he hit in 0 out ground ball to the right side to move the runner on second over to 3B.  What was the score and in what inning did he hit those 99 career sac flys?  I'm ok with Baines in the HOF, now.  Thanks Tony LaRussa. 

I'd like to see smaller statues of Baines and Mussina in other parts of the stadium.  Baines raked for the O's more than any other team he played for. 

Apologies for throwing off the whole thread.

• Upvote 1