Elias speaks on a wide range of topics

Frobby

34 minutes ago, Philip said:

You’re missing my point. Valaika is not The Risen Savior. I have not suggested that he has any trade value. The point is that he is more versatile and to us, more valuable than Nunez, who also is not The Risen Savior and who also has no trade value.

You  are way overvaluing 12 hrs in 216 ABs vs 8 hrs in 150 ABs, which is almost the same rate of home run per at bat anyway. 

So yeah. Raise the Valaika flag and wave it proudly.

I’m not missing any point..the point is just wrong.

Hes not more valuable and the stats bear that out.

He can stand in different positions on the Diamond..great.  I wouldn’t want him playing significant time at any of them.  If he plays a lot, that’s not a good thing for the Os.  If you want him to be a UTi guy, that’s fine but stop acting like he’s more valuable than Nunez.  That’s just wrong.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Am I misreading this or was the original argument about who has more value (Valaika or Nunez), but now about who has more value "to us?"

Either way, the answer in both cases is likely Nunez. I think SG's argument is right. It's not about who is most versatile, it's about who is most easily replaced. Teams claim guys like Valaika all the time. Nunez is better at his price than what is easily claimed, so even if he's redundant on our roster without injuries, he's still the more valuable player to have.

My original point is that Nunez has no trade value and is not as important to us as the roster spot he occupies, and he will-probably-be non-tendered.

I used Valaika as a comparison To support the contention that Valiaka has defensive value and Nunez does not, that Nunez doesn’t hit significantly better than Valiaka, and is not worth his expected arbitration raise.

I just spent some time at Baseball Savant, and found that they are much closer than I had expected. Valiaka is above average in four categories, Nunez only two, and Nunez is far below average in most of the other categories. 
Valaika is an average defender at third( 0 OAA)and below average everywhere else, Nunez Only played first and third and was worse(-2 -1 respectively, but in 2019 he was an astounding -7 outs above average at first base)

So yeah, I never suggested that Valaika was one of the glories of modern civilization, but he is more desirable, especially to this team, than Nunez.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not missing any point..the point is just wrong.

Hes not more valuable and the stats bear that out.

He can stand in different positions on the Diamond..great.  I wouldn’t want him playing significant time at any of them.  If he plays a lot, that’s not a good thing for the Os.  If you want him to be a UTi guy, that’s fine but stop acting like he’s more valuable than Nunez.  That’s just wrong.

No, you’re wrong, but that’s ok.

We will see how it goes, and however it goes, we both want it to be the right decision

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would easily prefer Nunez over Valaika.  It’s not even close for me.

30 homers and 90+ RBIs with a good walk rate still has some value.  

Valaika could easily be cut by May next year.  He’s a dime a dozen guy.  There aren’t tons of 30+ homer guys sitting around making 2M or less in arb years.

I think a lot boils down to whether you think a player’s performance is sustainable.  Valaika had a .791 OPS this year (150 PA) but his career OPS is .691(583 PA).    If you believe he is blossoming and his better performance is due to getting fairly regular playing time, he’s arguably worth keeping if you can avoid playing him at SS much. But if you believe his true talent is closer to his .691 career OPS, then he’s waiver wire fodder.    

Nunez, on the other hand, has established a pretty clear baseline of performance.   .781, .771, .816 in his three seasons here.    We know what he is.    

I don’t see any universe where we are choosing between these two guys for a roster spot.   They have completely different roles.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think a lot boils down to whether you think a player’s performance is sustainable.  Valaika had a .791 OPS this year (150 PA) but his career OPS is .691(583 PA).    If you believe he is blossoming and his better performance is due to getting fairly regular playing time, he’s arguably worth keeping if you can avoid playing him at SS much. But if you believe his true talent is closer to his .691 career OPS, then he’s waiver wire fodder.    

Nunez, on the other hand, has established a pretty clear baseline of performance.   .781, .771, .816 in his three seasons here.    We know what he is.    

I don’t see any universe where we are choosing between these two guys for a roster spot.   They have completely different roles.  

No doubt they don’t have similar roles.

But the discussion is strictly value.  Nunez is more valuable.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's have Mancini, Mountcastle, and Diaz ..... Nunez would have a hard time getting at bats so his value to the O's would decrease.

Diaz won’t be up for a little bit. There are at bats.

And Valaika doesn’t get at bats with Sanchez, Iglesias, Alberto and Rios either.

Nunez produces too much at the plate to not get enough at bats to have more value over Valaika.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Diaz won’t be up for a little bit. There are at bats.

And Valaika doesn’t get at bats with Sanchez, Iglesias, Alberto and Rios either.

Nunez produces too much at the plate to not get enough at bats to have more value over Valaika.

Maybe.

If Elias signs Alberto and Sanchez by the non tender date I think Ruiz has a hard time staying of the O's major league roster.