Surprise Rafters vs. Peoria Javelinas 10/07

OsandBohs11

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game today, and here were some impressions.

Thall really struggled. He was inserted to a LOOGY spot--two on, two out--and allowed a pair of singles to let in runners charged to Eyre's record. The LH batter's second hit off him knocked him out of the game, and everything was hit hard. He got a double play on a hard shot to the third baseman.

The first five innings, Phil Hughes was pretty strong. He's an unusually talented pitcher for the AFL. Particularly, some of the guys towards the bottom of the Surprise lineup looked overmatched.

Blake Davis, while not in the lineup, was occasionally acting as 1st base coach. He's wearing #1, a low number to accentuate the Brian Roberts clone visual, which is fairly strong to begin with.

Reimold struggled in LF. He bobbled a hard single off a left handed bat on the first hop, and though there was no damage there, there was later in the game on a line drive over his head, where he froze in his tracks, retreated late and narrowly missed what ended up being a Triunfel double.

Wieters looked good. The strikeout in his second plate appearance, he'd run the count to 3-1, and swung and missed on a rather low pitch Reimold's steal to run the count full. I'm wondering if that was a hit and run. The triple came on a 3-1 pitch where the strike was very fat after a 3-0 opening. Some guys nearby joked after the first strike they dared the pitcher to do it again, and when he did, the ball was hit far and hard.

I was at the game today, and here were some impressions.

Thall really struggled. He was inserted to a LOOGY spot--two on, two out--and allowed a pair of singles to let in runners charged to Eyre's record. The LH batter's second hit off him knocked him out of the game, and everything was hit hard. He got a double play on a hard shot to the third baseman.

The first five innings, Phil Hughes was pretty strong. He's an unusually talented pitcher for the AFL. Particularly, some of the guys towards the bottom of the Surprise lineup looked overmatched.

Blake Davis, while not in the lineup, was occasionally acting as 1st base coach. He's wearing #1, a low number to accentuate the Brian Roberts clone visual, which is fairly strong to begin with.

Reimold struggled in LF. He bobbled a hard single off a left handed bat on the first hop, and though there was no damage there, there was later in the game on a line drive over his head, where he froze in his tracks, retreated late and narrowly missed what ended up being a Triunfel double.

Wieters looked good. The strikeout in his second plate appearance, he'd run the count to 3-1, and swung and missed on a rather low pitch Reimold's steal to run the count full. I'm wondering if that was a hit and run. The triple came on a 3-1 pitch where the strike was very fat after a 3-0 opening. Some guys nearby joked after the first strike they dared the pitcher to do it again, and when he did, the ball was hit far and hard.

Thanks for the report. The part about Reimold's fielding is troubling, as it supports what we've been hearing from Tony.

A breakout performance from Snyder in the AFL would go along way toward proving to me he could stick at first. There's no doubt the kid can hit. He makes solid contact very often and he'll hit for a high average. Hopefully a lot of these doubles will start turning into homeruns in the next year or two and he'll start walking at a bit of a higher rate as pitchers start to respect his power.

Make it 2 doubles

and no that's not a repeat

edit: LOL

Man that is exciting. If Snyder can put together a Nick-like AFL season, that really puts him on the fast track. We could see him in Baltimore next September if everything falls into place.

After the 2nd game the Surprise are 0-2. I think only Blake Davis and Brandon Snyder played in the 2nd game from the O's. Davis played SS and went 0-5, and Snyder played 1B and went 3-4 with 2 doubles, 1 rbi, 1 run. Great game back for Snyder, but Davis I don't know too much about. He did pretty well in Frederick during the season and got called up to Bowie, but in the 35 games there he only batted .209.

After the 2nd game the Surprise are 0-2. I think only Blake Davis and Brandon Snyder played in the 2nd game from the O's. Davis played SS and went 0-5, and Snyder played 1B and went 3-4 with 2 doubles, 1 rbi, 1 run. Great game back for Snyder, but Davis I don't know too much about. He did pretty well in Frederick during the season and got called up to Bowie, but in the 35 games there he only batted .209.

You're looking at his 2007 stats. He spent the entire 2008 season at Bowie and had a solid but unspectacular year there.

Archived