Orioles Agree to Deal With Severino

VaBird1

Momentary Week 2 Adley bummer, but Realmuto and McCann seem to have more suitors than there are of them, and Severino has flashed significant talent at times.

Fine for us, and probably close to a no-brainer move in an Adley-less organization.

Tomorrow the Yankees have the juicy Gary Sanchez call to make, what with all those HR/RBI's, playoff demotions for Gerrit's high school buddy, and lack of other options on their 40-man roster.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Led the league in passed balls.

Wynns MLB Career 66 games__ 5 passed balls-- 0.076 passed balls/Game

Severino MLB Career 218 Game__ 21 passed balls__ 0.096 passed balls/Game

That's one passed ball every 10 games for Severino

One passed ball every 13 games for Wynns

Sure... there's a difference... but not a big one.

Edited by owknows

41 minutes ago, Number5 said:

If I read that MLBTR chart correctly, it looks like they actually used 3 different methodologies to project the number, with 2 showing $1.4, and 1 showing $2.3.  So it seems to me that the $1.825 number is in line with the range they were looking at.  I actually thought that Severino might be a non-tender, but I wasn't sure. 

Here are MLBTR’s three methods for this year:

• Method 1: Applies model directly with actual statistics from this 60-game season
  • Method 2: Extrapolates all counting stats to would-be 162-game totals.  One home run becomes 2.7 home runs.
  • Method 3: For non-first-time eligibles, finds the raise they’d get in a 162 game season, then gives them 37% of that raise.

Since Severino was a first time eligible, method 3 doesn’t apply.   The O’s basically split the difference between methods 1 and 2.    Seems reasonable to me.    

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, owknows said:

Wynns MLB Career 66 games__ 5 passed balls-- 0.076 passed balls/Game

Severino MLB Career 218 Game__ 21 passed balls__ 0.096 passed balls/Game

That's one passed ball every 10 games for Severino

One passed ball every 13 games for Wynns

Sure... there's a difference... but not a big one.

When it comes to catchers I weigh recent performance more heavily than I do other players.

Severino looked surprisingly bad behind the plate last year.  I'm tempted to use the word lazy to describe his play.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

When it comes to catchers I weigh recent performance more heavily than I do other players.

Severino looked surprisingly bad behind the plate last year.  I'm tempted to use the word lazy to describe his play.

Maybe.

Or maybe he got crossed up and thrown wide more than a decent pitching staff would normally task a catcher with.

Severino had no problem with passed balls in Washington.

5 minutes ago, owknows said:

Curiously... he didn't have that problem in Washington

You think it might have something to do with being crossed up  and  thrown wide by a young and less than MLB ready staff?

Severino - 5 passed balls

Sisco and Holladay - 0 passed balls.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's what it looked like to me too.   I'm sure there were a lot that got by that were called wild pitches too, that he shared some of the responsibility for.

And I look at passed balls as worse than some an errors  by a position player or even a catcher due to the fact that 1 or more runners advance 1 or more bases on a passed ball every time.   Maybe why the rules call it a passed ball  and not just another  error.  Anyway his passed ball record is not very good IMO.   But lets hope that Adley is a big success very quickly.      

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Severino - 5 passed balls

Sisco and Holladay - 0 passed balls.  

in 2020

Sisco threw out 3 of 16 attempted steals. (19%)

Severino threw out 4 of 13 attempted steals. (31%.. )

Holladay has no stats

Sisco cost more bases I'd wager

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

in 2020

Sisco threw out 3 of 16 attempted steals. (19%)

Severino threw out 4 of 13 attempted steals. (31%.. )

Holladay has no stats

Sisco cost more bases I'd wager

Severino has a much better arm than Sisco, without question.    I was merely addressing the point about pitch blocking that Can_of_corn raised (I think the “lazy” comment refers to Severino not getting his body in front of pitches).   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Severino has a much better arm than Sisco, without question.    I was merely addressing the point pitch blocking that Can_of_corn raised (I think the “lazy” comment refers to Severino not getting his body in front of pitches).   

I dunno if I'd call it lazy. He seems pretty into the game to me.

He is getting a little thick through the middle though.

Maybe that doesn't work too well with a young staff that's crossing you up all the time.

1 minute ago, owknows said:

I didn't bring Sisco into the discussion. I was answering a post from Frobby

That was only about passed balls.  You posited that the pitchers might have been a factor in Severino's passed balls so Frobby responded by showing that the other Oriole catchers didn't have the same issue.