Hanser Alberto has been non-tendered

SteveA

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Lol...can I please hear from people how this ownership group isn’t being cheap?

BTw, I don’t really care that Alberto is being non tendered but they essentially just got rid of 3 relatively productive players that were going to make a total of about 8M between them...pennies on the dollar and they are all too expensive for them?

Is what it is. 2020 is a different kind of year. I highly doubt we are the only team going on the cheap.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Re. Elias' explanation.

TL:DR.  "We're cheap."

Or it's "He's not worth the tender."  

Alberto is a fun guy to like, but he's a guy you like a lot better when he's cheap. His defense fell off last year and his empty average offense really doesn't add much to an offense.

If the Orioles can resign him to a minor league contract with a spring training invite and give him a chance to win a utility job than I'm good with that. But, with Sanchez, Urias and Valaika on board, Alberto is extraneous. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol...can I please hear from people how this ownership group isn’t being cheap?

BTw, I don’t really care that Alberto is being non tendered but they essentially just got rid of 3 relatively productive players that were going to make a total of about 8M between them...pennies on the dollar and they are all too expensive for them?

Ever seen the movie Trading Places?

Randolph Elias bet Mortimer Angelos $1 that he could win an AL East Pennant with a payroll less than $10 million

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The problem is, we were already going cheap.  Atlanta is spending.  You can still spend.  In fact, you can probably get some great deals.  

Do you disagree that they lost money last year? Or at least lost all their profits? We didn't make the playoffs so no bonus payoff. No fans is no bueno.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Or it's "He's not worth the tender."  

Alberto is a fun guy to like, but he's a guy you like a lot better when he's cheap. His defense fell off last year and his empty average offense really doesn't add much to an offense.

If the Orioles can resign him to a minor league contract with a spring training invite and give him a chance to win a utility job than I'm good with that. But, with Sanchez, Urias and Valaika on board, Alberto is extraneous. 

I’d rather have Alberto than Valaika.  I trust his defense and his bat more.  His BA may be empty but if you use him as a platoon guy, he has value.

Valaika has some pop in his bat but this is also a guy who struggled to hit in Coors at times and he isn’t that good defensively.  I do like his attitude on the field and things like that and don’t mind him as a UTI guy when he is cheap but I don’t want him getting much more than 150-200 at bats.