What to do at SS?

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Very hard  for Bannon to beat out Valaika or Sanchez at 2B IMO.  Bannon likely to begin 2021 at AAA.

As I said, I’d go for Robertson on a similar contract to what we gave Iglesias. Probably a little less , something like 2 years with an option. Maybe 2.5 million, 3.5 million, and a 4.5 option with the buyout for 500k

With his solid OBP he becomes very valuable with solid defense and a .270-.280 AVG

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

As I said, I’d go for Robertson on a similar contract to what we gave Iglesias. Probably a little less , something like 2 years with an option. Maybe 2.5 million, 3.5 million, and a 4.5 option with the buyout for 500k

Tampa tried Robertson at SS and he failed.   I think Elias will be looking for a SS.  Getting Robertson cheap in not the probably.  He probably signs for 1M-1.5m.   Robertson is probably better at 2B but he would be behind Sanchez and Valaika.   There is not reason to sign him for 2B.  

12 minutes ago, owknows said:

Valaika's best defensive position is 2B (.995 fielding in 330 innings) and he's no slouch with the bat

Sanchez doesn't have enough experience to draw conclusions with at SS,  but is generally considered a + defender... and club management mentioned him at SS.

Bannon 3B, Sanchez SS, Valaika 2B is what I'd go with barring an acquisition (which was what I said initially)

Exactly..he doesn’t have much experience there.  There is a reason for that.  If he was a really good SS, don’t you think teams would have put him there?  

Please stop with the stuff about Valaika.  The SSS make any of that analysis worthless.  He’s not an everyday player.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sorry, that was SG.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Very hard  for Bannon to beat out Valaika or Sanchez at 2B  to start the season IMO.  Bannon likely to begin 2021 at AAA.

I didn’t suggest him at second.

I said, I prefer him there but not over the defense of Sanchez.

And it’s not very hard for him to beat out Valaika.  That’s laughable.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly..he doesn’t have much experience there.  There is a reason for that.  If he was a really good SS, don’t you think teams would have put him there?  

Please stop with the stuff about Valaika.  The SSS make any of that analysis worthless.  He’s not an everyday player.

I have to ask again, why is it you feel the need to be obnoxious to people who aren't being obnoxious to you?

Not that I care really.. you're just a faceless guy on the internet. But I find it peculiar behavior. And I'm really curious. It's like you have your entire sense of self-worth wrapped up in empty internet comments.

Take the conversation we're having here. You may not see it... but when your say things like "stop with the stuff"... and "he's not an everyday player"... you come off as needlessly aggressive.  Worse yet...  it's about things you really know absolutely nothing about. If you were deeply versed in these players it would be one thing... but from your comments you're obviously not.

You know nothing more about Valaika than anyone else here... probably quite a bit less than some. But you feel the need to have others believe you're a subject matter expert. And so resort to aggressive "stop with the stuff" comments when a simple "I disagree and here's why" would do.

I'm no expert on these things. I know only what I read. And I enjoy speculating and discussing just like many of the others here do. I'm right about some things.. wrong about others.. but I really don't feel a need to be obnoxious. Not sure why you do. It takes a lot of the fun out of the place.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sanchez was blocked from SS by Tim Anderson.

10 minutes ago, owknows said:

I have to ask again, why is it you feel the need to be obnoxious to people who aren't being obnoxious to you?

Not that I care really.. you're just a faceless guy on the internet. But I find it peculiar behavior. And I'm really curious. It's like you have your entire sense of self-worth wrapped up in empty internet comments.

Take the conversation we're having here. You may not see it... but when your say things like "stop with the stuff"... and "he's not an everyday player"... you come off as needlessly aggressive.  Worse yet...  it's about things you really know absolutely nothing about. If you were deeply versed in these players it would be one thing... but from your comments you're obviously not.

You know nothing more about Valaika than anyone else here... probably quite a bit less than some. But you feel the need to have others believe you're a subject matter expert. And so resort to aggressive "stop with the stuff" comments when a simple "I disagree and here's why" would do.

I'm no expert on these things. I know only what I read. And I enjoy speculating and discussing just like many of the others here do. I'm right about some things.. wrong about others.. but I really don't feel a need to be obnoxious. Not sure why you do. It takes a lot of the fun out of the place.

Please stop.  If you have an issue, DM me. Otherwise, enough of your psychological bs.  It’s annoying.  You either deal with it or move on.  

Tim Anderson, at least  according to UZR and UZR/150 isn’t that good defensively.  He also struggled with the bat for the first 2-3 years of his career.  

If Sanchez was a GG caliber SS, as he clearly is at second base, I would think he would have gotten a chance.

I didn’t read anything from Elias that was some ringing endorsement for Sanchez to be at SS. I saw that he mentioned him but not much more than that.

He mentioned that trading Iglesias may necessitate other moves for SS though.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Please stop.  If you have an issue, DM me. Otherwise, enough of your psychological bs.  It’s annoying.  You either deal with it or move on.  

I have an issue. I've stated it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you not be needlessly impolite.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

On the flip side, the SSS doesn't let us know if he's NOT an every day player.  If you think he's not an every day player based on the SSS, the possibility exists that he could be an every day player, too.  

I personally don't think he is but on this team I don't mind giving the guy half a season of at bats to see if there's something there.  I'm not impressed at all by his defense but if Elias sees something in his bat, it's not like there's a clearly better option on the roster right now.  All of these guys have holes in their games.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

And I don’t think it’s unreasonable for you to bring it up privately and not waste the boards time with your stuff.

Im just being blunt with you.  I’m honest.  I’m not going to sugar coat my opinion to make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.  

You are completely overrating Valaika.  

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

He's got 36,000 posts (probably closer to 150,000 from his first username) of being impolite and brash.  Bro, he ain't about to stop.  You're not the first one to recommend it to him.

• Haha 4