Who's the number nine prospect?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the number nine prospect?

• Ryan Adams
    • Zach Britton
    • Brandon Erbe
    • David Hernandez
    • LJ Hoes

Agreed. The end game is always what you think the kid will ultimately turn into. Based on what we've seen, I'm not sure you can reasonably project him to be anything more than a below-AVG 2B. Now, if he drastically improves his defense, he could profile as a very good 2B -- I just don't see how you make that jump without treading close to the "leap of faith" realm.

Eh, who knows...

A lot of butcher infielders become corner outfielders. I'm guessing Adams has about 1 more year before they try to find another place where his bat might play.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. The end game is always what you think the kid will ultimately turn into. Based on what we've seen, I'm not sure you can reasonably project him to be anything more than a below-AVG 2B. Now, if he drastically improves his defense, he could profile as a very good 2B -- I just don't see how you make that jump without treading close to the "leap of faith" realm.

Eh, who knows...

What about third base for Adams?

What are your thoughts on that?

What about third base for Adams?

What are your thoughts on that?

A little easier to field, but I don't think the throw is any easier for him. He has a solid arm for 2B but it isn't plus and I'd worry that he couldn't be consistent and accurate in fielding the ball and getting rid of it. If his issues were primarily centered on footwork or range, 3B would make more sense. I just don't think it solves his particular probem.

A lot of butcher infielders become corner outfielders. I'm guessing Adams has about 1 more year before they try to find another place where his bat might play.

I could see this, but then he's going to have to hit-hit-hit to continue to progress. Since this is the more advanced aspect of his game it could be a legit option.

A little easier to field, but I don't think the throw is any easier for him. He has a solid arm for 2B but it isn't plus and I'd worry that he couldn't be consistent and accurate in fielding the ball and getting rid of it. If his issues were primarily centered on footwork or range, 3B would make more sense. I just don't think it solves his particular probem.

Actually Adams has one of the strongest arms on the team. He has a shortstop arm but not the mobility.

Actually Adams has one of the strongest arms on the team. He has a shortstop arm but not the mobility.

Eh, respectfually I disagree. I'm sure you've seen him more often than I have, but I've never seen more than solid-average arm strength. It could perhaps play on the left side, I'll defer to you with that.

The real point, though, is that you have a lot less time to get rid of the ball on the left side. I'm not confident at all that Adams would do this quickly and accurately on a consistent basis. If his arm were a true plus-arm, he could take a little more time.

Just my take.

If Adams has to move off second to a corner infield/outfield spot, then his chance at a major league career becomes a much longer shot unless it's in a utility role.

I go back to this old *BP Article:

The difference between an average 2b and an average 3b, LF, and RF? 43, 63, and 53 OPS points.

Average OPS

2b - .762

3b - .805

LF - .825

RF - .815

Of course, a bad 2b (.702) is almost as bad as a bad 3b (.718).

*Numbers will be off since it does not account for the 2008 season.

If Adams has to move off second to a corner infield/outfield spot, then his chance at a major league career becomes a much longer shot unless it's in a utility role.

I go back to this old *BP Article:

The difference between an average 2b and an average 3b, LF, and RF? 43, 63, and 53 OPS points.

Average OPS

2b - .762

3b - .805

LF - .825

RF - .815

Of course, a bad 2b (.702) is almost as bad as a bad 3b (.718).

*Numbers will be off since it does not account for the 2008 season.

Yup. Any of the corner spots will require him to hit his way through the minors. As to whether this would affect the likelihood of Adams reaching the ML team, that sort of depends on how you project his bat, no?

Tony has all but said Erbe isn't in the top 10. So why people keep voting for him is beyond me...

It's all about the Hoes...

Hoes hasn't proved anything yet fellas!! Let him prove what he can do while playing up a level, like Delmarva or even Aberdeen.

I dont' understand how Baseball America can think so highly of Erbe but Tony doesn't. i will be very interested to their lists next to each other. I believe the Baltimore Orioles top prospects list will be the first BA does this year because they alternate doing AL and NL first every year. And Baltimore is #1 most likely.

Archived