Orioles Lose Zach Pop and Grey Fenter in Rule Five

weams

Just now, LookinUp said:

Aside from the sham that is service time and compensation for young players, I think it would be kind of insane to promote Witt now for a simple reason: I'd want him around for as much of a competitive window as I could get. 

SG mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the benefit of not putting our best young players on our bad team is they at least have a shot to still be around on our good teams. It's a cynical game to play, but as a GM it's almost a responsibility to do this for your organization. Hopefully when the flood gates open, there will be a legit flood of good young players coming up together.

So you extend him.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Yes! But keeping a team of studs together is kind of impossible for small market teams. Let's see how San Diego handles this spending spree they're on. 

Sure, you have to churn your roster to some degree.  But every team, I'm looking at you Tampa, does have the means to keep a couple of foundation players on the roster long term.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, you have to churn your roster to some degree.  But every team, I'm looking at you Tampa, does have the means to keep a couple of foundation players on the roster long term.

Tampa will demonstrate on the low end how possible this is, or isn't, to do. 

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is a difference between what is possible and what is actually done.

Tampa can do it. 

The ownership hasn't shown much of a desire to do so.

I am beginning to think the key to sustainability for mid to small market teams is actually what TB is doing. Trade the asset prior to them hitting FA and replace with 2-3 high end prospects. That is if you trust your SD and PD to identify the right prospects and develop them. You don't get TB's system without trading 1 for 3+. No way you hit on that many IFA or draft picks. You have to make smart trades. 

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

I am beginning to think the key to sustainability for mid to small market teams is actually what TB is doing. Trade the asset prior to them hitting FA and replace with 2-3 high end prospects. That is if you trust your SD and PD to identify the right prospects and develop them. You don't get TB's system without trading 1 for 3+. No way you hit on that many IFA or draft picks. You have to make smart trades. 

Getting rid of guys one year too early is always the smart way of doing things. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Getting rid of guys one year too early is always the smart way of doing things. 

The question is when is one year too early when you are talking about a 20 year old shortstop with a sky high ceiling? 

Getting a 2-3 high end prospects probably won't be as useful as a few 6 win seasons to a contender.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The question is when is one year too early when you are talking about a 20 year old shortstop with a sky high ceiling? 

Getting a 2-3 high end prospects probably won't be as useful as a few 6 win seasons to a contender.

I wasn’t following the whole discussion but I certainly wouldn’t advocate trading a guy like Franco right now.  But, say 4 or so years from now?  Very possible.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I may not understand your post correctly so, if I have it wrong, I apologize but, you never trade a 20 year old elite prospect. But when that guy is 23 or 24 then I think you look to flip him for multiple high end guys. That's assuming that you have a capable replacement which of course is the idea of trading guys for multiple guys. You build your system so you always have a replacement. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wasn’t following the whole discussion but I certainly wouldn’t advocate trading a guy like Franco right now.  But, say 4 or so years from now?  Very possible.

I am guessing he was talking about Witt Jr. 

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

I may not understand your post correctly so, if I have it wrong, I apologize but, you never trade a 20 year old elite prospect. But when that guy is 23 or 24 then I think you look to flip him for multiple high end guys. That's assuming that you have a capable replacement which of course is the idea of trading guys for multiple guys. You build your system so you always have a replacement. 

Do you trade him at 25 or do you extend him?  Franco at 28 is probably more valuable than what you got back.

16 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Interesting, how is that false? Making your prospects spend nearly a full season in each level is a conservative approach in modern times. He calls that conservative, himself, but I suppose you can call it something else. I won’t quibble about semantics. I’ll be over here shrugging my shoulders, sipping my bourbon. 

Meanwhile, John Smoltz was speaking on MLB network a few days ago about Bobby Witt Jr. and stated he  would tear up the minors and would be the 2021 AL Rookie of the Year. Now that is aggressive promotion. 

I read this in the morning and the first thing I did was to check when you wrote this to make sure you are not an alcoholic. ;)

• Haha 1