Top 15 First Basemen in 2009 Draft

For those interested, here's the snip from the blog posting covering the Top 15 1B for me as of right now:

Fall 2009: Top 15 First Basemen

1. Jeff Malm, Senior, Bishop Gorman HS (NV)

2. Ben Paulsen, Junior, Clemson University

3. Dustin Dickerson, Junior, Baylor University

4. Jonathan Singleton, Senior, Millikan HS (CA)

5. Telvin Nash, Senior, Griffin HS (GA)

6. Tyler Townsend, Junior, Florida International University

7. Rich Poythress, Junior, University of Georgia

8. Colton Cain, Senior, Waxahachie HS (TX)

9. Dominic D'Anna, Junior, California State University - Northridge

10. Tim Morris, Junior, St. John's University

11. Jared Clark, Senior, California State University - Fullerton

12. Ryan Wheeler, Junior, Loyola Marymount University

13. Brooks Pounders, Senior, Temecula Valley HS (CA)

14. Rob Lyerly, Junior, University of Charlotte

15. Kristopher Hobson, Senior, Stockdale HS (CA)

Best Hitter: Jeff Malm

Best Power: Jeff Malm

Best Defense: Jeff Malm

Best Arm: Brooks Pounders

Best Speed: Tim Morris

Where do you see Jeff Malm going in the draft (if he's not going to college)?

Right now I have him in the supplemental round. He doesn't have the elite bat of a Hosmer, which you really need if you are limited to 1B. With a strong Spring, he could be a first-rounder. He is very advanced defensively, for a 1B.

Hey, are those rankings assuming Ackley doesn't stay at 1B? I know there is a lot of talk of moving him either back to the OF, or to 2B, but he has handled 1B very well, and even though his bat isn't a typical 1B type bat, it still is a possibility that he could stay there, where would you slot him if he were to stay?

Hey, are those rankings assuming Ackley doesn't stay at 1B? I know there is a lot of talk of moving him either back to the OF, or to 2B, but he has handled 1B very well, and even though his bat isn't a typical 1B type bat, it still is a possibility that he could stay there, where would you slot him if he were to stay?

I have Ackley projected with the outfielders. Correct.

Were he grouped with the 1B, he would be the top of the list because of a fringe-plus-plus bat with potential for fringe-plus power. I'd slot him in the 8-15 range, as I can't project a 1B without even plus-power higher than that.

I have Ackley projected with the outfielders. Correct.

Were he grouped with the 1B, he would be the top of the list because of a fringe-plus-plus bat with potential for fringe-plus power. I'd slot him in the 8-15 range, as I can't project a 1B without even plus-power higher than that.

Just checking, that's what I figured, I was just pondering if he doesn't get the arm strength back after the surgery, or teams get scared off by that at least.

Just checking, that's what I figured, I was just pondering if he doesn't get the arm strength back after the surgery, or teams get scared off by that at least.

I think you are right on with your analysis. That said, his bat is very good -- I can't imagine he slips out of the first half of the first round unless he can't hit at all this upcoming Spring.

Wow, Ben Paulson is number 2? This is a down year to be sure.

Yeah. Keeping in mind that some HS guys that could end up at 1B (and have the bat to profile there) I have projected at 3B after seeing them this summer. Particularly Matt Davidson.

For those interested, the other two HSers that would have plugged in ahead of Paulsen are Bobby Borchering and Cade Kreuter. They, along with Matt Davidson, are in the top 5 for 3B (which I'll post tonight).

Any chance one of those is Chad's kid, and is committed to USC if he doesn't turn pro?

Archived