Snell to Padres

Sports Guy

They just transferred wins to Rutschman window years but I am sure when we get there they will be selling present for future then too.

Had we put Kjerstad savings on Wilcox I would want him in September for Lindor closing argument but now I guess in about 3 years they will see if he wants to sell them some cheap options or figure out some things in Durham another month or two.

7 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

They just transferred wins to Rutschman window years but I am sure when we get there they will be selling present for future then too.

Had we put Kjerstad savings on Wilcox I would want him in September for Lindor closing argument but now I guess in about 3 years they will see if he wants to sell them some cheap options or figure out some things in Durham another month or two.

You would want to trade a bunch for Lindor and then give him some huge deal? Love the player but MIers don’t tend to age well, so I am not sure I want to be paying 30-40M a year once he gets beyond 30 years old.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Imagine being a Tampa fan right now. Wow, Merry Christmas, Manny!

I mean, in some ways it sucks but since 2008, they have 7 seasons of 90+ wins, 3 other seasons of 80+ wins and they won 2/3 of their games in a shortened 2020 season.  
The other 2 seasons, they won 77 and 68 games.  

So, they have really only been a bad team once in the last 13 years. They have 6 playoff appearances, including 2 WS appearances.  They missed out on the playoffs in 2 other years of winning 90+ games.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You would want to trade a bunch for Lindor and then give him some huge deal? Love the player but MIers don’t tend to age well, so I am not sure I want to be paying 30-40M a year once he gets beyond 30 years old.

Just the huge deal part.   The fun of 2021 will be seeing if the existing core proves itself good enough to be somewhere a star FA in the 2022 class would actually consider coming ala Padres Machado.   Correa's youth and Elias history make him the most likely candidate of the main four SS to me, and of course it's in play we're still LOL Orioles to excellent big leaguers a year from now.

The advantage I hope the Peak Rutschman Teams will hold over the Rays will be the willingness to continue employing good players even after they pass an Arb1 salary level.   

Its possible the '22 payroll is Davis $21M swansong, $8M for Arb3 Trey, $4M for Arb2 Santander, $3M for Arb1 Means (more actually, I hope) and 20-some minimum guys.   

So change one of those minimums to $35M Lindor, and I think the delta is about $47M to $82M before you start Davis-goofing around with Lindor (Correa/Story/Baez/Scherzer/Bryant/Arenado/Verlander/Greinke....) structures like 20/40/40/40/40 to keep the 2022-2023 payrolls with Lindor about $70M each.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, in some ways it sucks but since 2008, they have 7 seasons of 90+ wins, 3 other seasons of 80+ wins and they won 2/3 of their games in a shortened 2020 season.  

So, they have really only been a bad team once in the last 13 years. They have 6 playoff appearances, including 2 WS appearances.  They missed out on the playoffs in 2 other years of winning 90+ games.

Snell quotes in the next few days might be popcorn-worthy.   

Probably still Dodgers by a lot in 2021, but by '22 when they could have Clevinger back and Gore established with Paddack/Lamet, Snell may have all the work he wants trying to tame that monster again.   

Patino: SP ranked 18/27/15 by BA, MLB.com and BP going into last season.  Fangraphs ranks him 10th currently.  Got into 11 major league games this summer as a 20-year old, including one start, after jumping from AA.   BA ranked him the Padres no. 2 prospect this summer, MLB.com ranked him no. 3.

Mejia: C ranked 32/26/20 going into 2019.   Has a .668 OPS in 362 PA as a major leaguer.   Will be 25 this season.   

Hunt: C/DH/1B who was Padres 2nd rounder in 2017, hasn’t played above low A yet.  Will be 22 this season.  Fangraphs ranks him 10th in the Padres system.

Wilcox: P, Padres’ 3rd rounder this year.   Hasn’t pitched professionally.    MLB.com ranks him the no. 7 prospect of the Padres, Fangraphs ranks him 9th.  BA has him outside the top 10.

Pretty nice haul IMO.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure, you can also hear a pin drop in their home games. They are coming off a division title and have an ace under team control. As a fan that's gotta hurt. 

Don't get me wrong. They definitely know how to run the small market model to perfection and the Orioles could learn from them for sure. 

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sure, you can also hear a pin drop in their home games. They are coming off a division title and have an ace under team control. As a fan that's gotta hurt. 

Don't get me wrong. They definitely know how to run the small market model to perfection and the Orioles could learn from them for sure. 

Do you think the low attendance comes from the fact that they’re always trading their best players a couple of years before they hit free agency?   I suppose that’s a plausible theory, but I think that’s a very minor factor in why the Rays have low attendance.    

3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Just the huge deal part.   The fun of 2021 will be seeing if the existing core proves itself good enough to be somewhere a star FA in the 2022 class would actually consider coming ala Padres Machado.   Correa's youth and Elias history make him the most likely candidate of the main four SS to me, and of course it's in play we're still LOL Orioles to excellent big leaguers a year from now.

The advantage I hope the Peak Rutschman Teams will hold over the Rays will be the willingness to continue employing good players even after they pass an Arb1 salary level.   

Its possible the '22 payroll is Davis $21M swansong, $8M for Arb3 Trey, $4M for Arb2 Santander, $3M for Arb1 Means (more actually, I hope) and 20-some minimum guys.   

So change one of those minimums to $35M Lindor, and I think the delta is about $47M to $82M before you start Davis-goofing around with Lindor (Correa/Story/Baez/Scherzer/Bryant/Arenado/Verlander/Greinke....) structures like 20/40/40/40/40 to keep the 2022-2023 payrolls with Lindor about $70M each.

They certainly can afford to take on a big deal when you are going to have a team full of guys making no money..there is no doubt about that.  But some 7-10 year deal for a MI that will be well into their 30s for most of it isn't something I would be excited about.  4-6 year deal?  Absolutely.

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm starting to think they might be serious.

I just hope we get a Dave Cameron Jeff Sullivan book in about 10 years.

Hunt is a 1998 baby like Adley, and an interesting example of just how slow even good developing high school catchers are.   It is true that he has all this helium, and also true almost 4 years after being drafted he'll get his first play above the MWL in 2021.   

If we get Darvish Padres (perhaps likely) and the 1-game wildcard (not so much) back, maybe Walker Buehler really will have to try all year next summer!

Kim for Padres 2B I think means Cronenworth LF and Profar sad if he hoped to stick with Preller and have a position.