Terps game thread

Oriole4Life

4 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

I don't know why Marial doesn't play more. He could potentially defend inside and rebound. For some reason Turgeon didn't want to give him playing time, just letting Michigan abuse us. 

Marial has looked worse against less-talented players than Dickinson.  Unless he's improved his timing there's nothing I've seen out of him in the past that leads me to think that the Terps would be better off playing him.

Michigan just played really well and had a bit more talent on their roster than we did.  I don't think we can really run with top tier teams if they're firing on all cylinders and Michigan was.

On 1/1/2021 at 12:07 PM, Hallas said:

Marial has looked worse against less-talented players than Dickinson.  Unless he's improved his timing there's nothing I've seen out of him in the past that leads me to think that the Terps would be better off playing him.

Michigan just played really well and had a bit more talent on their roster than we did.  I don't think we can really run with top tier teams if they're firing on all cylinders and Michigan was.

Yeah you're probably right.  I guess I'm just hoping Marial gets better.  We have no one else on the roster that can guard the rim.  Scott and Smith are both undersized and neither play good defense.  I watched most of the Indiana game tonight and there is no one who can consistently clean up the glass.

I don't see this team making the tournament.  The team shoots badly.  Not enough consistent scoring and the defense isn't as good as typical Turgeon teams.  James Graham joined the team today but I don't see him providing a whole lot in his shortened freshman year (although technically it counts as zero).  Hopefully it helps his development.  

14 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

Yeah you're probably right.  I guess I'm just hoping Marial gets better.  We have no one else on the roster that can guard the rim.  Scott and Smith are both undersized and neither play good defense.  I watched most of the Indiana game tonight and there is no one who can consistently clean up the glass.

I don't see this team making the tournament.  The team shoots badly.  Not enough consistent scoring and the defense isn't as good as typical Turgeon teams.  James Graham joined the team today but I don't see him providing a whole lot in his shortened freshman year (although technically it counts as zero).  Hopefully it helps his development.  

I mean, I really don't know who would see this team making the tournament in the preseason.  If anything, I'm super impressed with how well Turgeon has gotten this offense to work with a collection of role players.  I don't even think we're that bad at shooting the ball.  Ayala is doing better, Wiggins is doing better, Hamilton is a legit threat outside, Scott has his moments.  We just can't play defense against teams with a skilled/athletic/skilled and athletic big man because we don't have the talent in the block.

On 1/10/2021 at 10:15 PM, Oriole4Life said:

Big win tonight vs. Illinois.  Maryland is 2-5 in the conference, but those two wins came against #6 and #12 Illinois on the road.  Even if there are no crowds that is pretty good.

And they did it without Ayala (groin injury)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Terps beat Rutgers today on the road, have won four in a row to go 14-10 overall.  Have three games left against Michigan State, Northwestern, and Penn State.  If they win all three they are pretty much a lock for the tournament.  2-1 they are still in good shape.  Add a win or two in the Big 10 tournament and they should be in very good shape.

Ayala and Wiggins have upped their games.  Playing like who we thought they were when we recruited them.  Morsell has gutted out the entire season with many bumps and bruises.  That guy gives 110% every game.  Love him.  Hope we can make a little run for his senior season.  Depth is an issue with this team as well as a lack of interior presence, but they have the talent to hang with anyone provided they execute.  Defense is their forte as with most Turgeon teams.

11 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

Terps beat Rutgers today on the road, have won four in a row to go 14-10 overall.  Have three games left against Michigan State, Northwestern, and Penn State.  If they win all three they are pretty much a lock for the tournament.  2-1 they are still in good shape.  Add a win or two in the Big 10 tournament and they should be in very good shape.

Ayala and Wiggins have upped their games.  Playing like who we thought they were when we recruited them.  Morsell has gutted out the entire season with many bumps and bruises.  That guy gives 110% every game.  Love him.  Hope we can make a little run for his senior season.  Depth is an issue with this team as well as a lack of interior presence, but they have the talent to hang with anyone provided they execute.  Defense is their forte as with most Turgeon teams.

Imo they're a lock at 2-1.

On 1/5/2021 at 1:20 AM, Oriole4Life said:

You should have stuck with your earlier assessment. This is a bad team. And Turgeon has been proving for a decade how terrible he is with the x's and o's. Blue chipper Ayala has played better this year but has been a big disappointment overall.  He is a bricklayer whose offense is limited to standing still around the perimeter waiting for a pass so he can clank it off the rim or backboard. Scott, Wiggins and Morsell are OK, but not special players.               

Understand, I have been a huge Terps fan since I was a wee little kid. I root for them despite my lack of respect for Coach Turd. But to imagine this is a tournament team with their dearth of talent is wishful thinking. They would have to win the Big 10 tourney. Or, maybe, if they could go 3-0 and reach the Big 10 final they might sneak in. Even if they somehow get in, they are almost assured to bow out in the first round. But I doubt the tournament selection committee doesn't see the lack of talent.  

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

You should have stuck with your earlier assessment. This is a bad team. And Turgeon has been proving for a decade how terrible he is with the x's and o's. Blue chipper Ayala has played better this year but has been a big disappointment overall.  He is a bricklayer whose offense is limited to standing still around the perimeter waiting for a pass so he can clank it off the rim or backboard. Scott, Wiggins and Morsell are OK, but not special players.               

Understand, I have been a huge Terps fan since I was a wee little kid. I root for them despite my lack of respect for Coach Turd. But to imagine this is a tournament team with their dearth of talent is wishful thinking. They would have to win the Big 10 tourney. Or, maybe, if they could go 3-0 and reach the Big 10 final they might sneak in. Even if they somehow get in, they are almost assured to bow out in the first round. But I doubt the tournament selection committee doesn't see the lack of talent.  

They’ll make the tournament and lose in the first round.  Turgeon will get an extension and we’ll be stuck in Turgetory for another decade.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

They’ll make the tournament and lose in the first round.  Turgeon will get an extension and we’ll be stuck in Turgetory for another decade.  

This would have been his last year if they hadn't signed him to an extension. This could have been a year to celebrate!

"Turgetory." LOL!