Terps game thread

Oriole4Life

We are definitely in "Turgetory."  That's a great term!  Tee shirt worthy!

When he's interviewed he's all about the great kids in the program.  But when they don't win it's about selfish players who can't implement what they do in practice.  That's not a good coach.  Getting the best talent to sign here and having it not lead anywhere?  They are are a marginal team under a marginal coach.  I hate watching them.  "Coach Turd."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

We are definitely in "Turgetory."  That's a great term!  Tee shirt worthy!

When he's interviewed he's all about the great kids in the program.  But when they don't win it's about selfish players who can't implement what they do in practice.  That's not a good coach.  Getting the best talent to sign here and having it not lead anywhere?  They are are a marginal team under a marginal coach.  I hate watching them.  "Coach Turd."

He's not only a poor strategic coach, he fails at the other part of being a college coach: he's a bad educator.  What I most disrespect about him is how he repeatedly throws players under the bus. He is tasked with making these young men stronger in body and mind, yet he tears them down after losses in order to build himself up and avoid responsibility for his shortcomings.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

He's not only a poor strategic coach, he fails at the other part of being a college coach: he's a bad educator.  What I most disrespect about him is how he repeatedly throws players under the bus. He is tasked with making these young men stronger in body and mind, yet he tears them down after losses in order to build himself up and avoid responsibility for his shortcomings.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to see this!  His ego and vanity precedes him.  It's a terrible combination for a coach.  In the line of Lefty and Gary, this guy is a hump.  And the truth that he is among the highest paid state employees is utterly galling.  Especially to this20 year veteran 3rd grade teacher.

I cringe when commentators ask him for his thoughts on the game they lost.  There's never any humility or magnanimity in his explanation.  It's, "We came in here with a good game plan, the players knew how to achieve a win, and the guys just didn't quite get it done.  THEY had opportunities, but mental errors caught up with them."  That's just sad.  And he's obviously shameless, because it's his goto response.

I'm going to share a betting line with you all.  Under Turd, bet on them as they approach the top 25.  Use care when they creep closer to the top 20, bet for but watch it.  Once they get inside the top 20, bet against despite being favored.  Go back and look!  It's a pattern.  Get inside the top 20 and collapse.

God that felt good to get off my chest.  The only thing that would make this worse is for them to still be in the ACC and me REALLY care.  :)   .........I always really care...... a little hyperbole. ;)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

You should have stuck with your earlier assessment. This is a bad team. And Turgeon has been proving for a decade how terrible he is with the x's and o's. Blue chipper Ayala has played better this year but has been a big disappointment overall.  He is a bricklayer whose offense is limited to standing still around the perimeter waiting for a pass so he can clank it off the rim or backboard. Scott, Wiggins and Morsell are OK, but not special players.               

Understand, I have been a huge Terps fan since I was a wee little kid. I root for them despite my lack of respect for Coach Turd. But to imagine this is a tournament team with their dearth of talent is wishful thinking. They would have to win the Big 10 tourney. Or, maybe, if they could go 3-0 and reach the Big 10 final they might sneak in. Even if they somehow get in, they are almost assured to bow out in the first round. But I doubt the tournament selection committee doesn't see the lack of talent.  

Turgeon gets some (a lot of) blame for the lack of talent and weird roster construction on this team, but IMO this is his best coaching job in his 10 years here.  I fully expected this team to be Nebraska deluxe this season.  The fact that he is likely getting this group to play in the NCAAT is nothing short of amazing.  I have never liked Turgeon's in game coaching, but this year has been a huge exception.  The team executes the offense way better than teams in the past.  He used Melo and Cowan as crutches in the past and they would bail out his terrible offensive planning.  This year the team actually moves the ball with purpose, and the players move off-ball with purpose.  It's unfortunate that he couldn't get previous years teams to run like this, when he actually had the talent on his roster to make it work.

20 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

You should have stuck with your earlier assessment. This is a bad team. And Turgeon has been proving for a decade how terrible he is with the x's and o's. Blue chipper Ayala has played better this year but has been a big disappointment overall.  He is a bricklayer whose offense is limited to standing still around the perimeter waiting for a pass so he can clank it off the rim or backboard. Scott, Wiggins and Morsell are OK, but not special players.               

Understand, I have been a huge Terps fan since I was a wee little kid. I root for them despite my lack of respect for Coach Turd. But to imagine this is a tournament team with their dearth of talent is wishful thinking. They would have to win the Big 10 tourney. Or, maybe, if they could go 3-0 and reach the Big 10 final they might sneak in. Even if they somehow get in, they are almost assured to bow out in the first round. But I doubt the tournament selection committee doesn't see the lack of talent.  

I don't think they are a great team or anything, but there is clearly some talent there. Saying they aren't a tournament team is simply not true, they have several good wins this year. They don't have to win the Big 10 tournament, they could go 2-1 in their final three regular season games as mentioned above and still make it.

I agree the Terps offensive sets are sometimes ghastly to watch. Turgeon doesn't have the best gameplans. Lots of hero ball. But if you watch a lot of college basketball you would see that many teams rely on 1-1 moves to score. You need those players who can create their own shot. Turgeon needs to recruit a big man who can score down low. That is a major weakness. We will see if Reese can provide that next year.

Anyway, this team will probably make the tournament as a 10 seed and lose in the first round. I definitely don't have any high expectations. Anything is possible in March though!

9 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

I don't think they are a great team or anything, but there is clearly some talent there. Saying they aren't a tournament team is simply not true, they have several good wins this year. They don't have to win the Big 10 tournament, they could go 2-1 in their final three regular season games as mentioned above and still make it.

I agree the Terps offensive sets are sometimes ghastly to watch. Turgeon doesn't have the best gameplans. Lots of hero ball. But if you watch a lot of college basketball you would see that many teams rely on 1-1 moves to score. You need those players who can create their own shot. Turgeon needs to recruit a big man who can score down low. That is a major weakness. We will see if Reese can provide that next year.

Anyway, this team will probably make the tournament as a 10 seed and lose in the first round. I definitely don't have any high expectations. Anything is possible in March though!

I never said there are NOT a tournament team but that it is wishful thinking to believe they will make it. Good wins are negated by lots of losses. Two of those "good wins," are Ws against Minnesota. They don't look so great anymore and they won't impress the selection committee. I think the national prognosticators and you are over-emphasizing the past four games. Even after four straight wins against legendary basketball programs such as Nebraska, Rutgers and Nebraska (ahem), the team would have risen to a meager 9-10 record if not for the five cream puffs.

The probability of the Terps making the tournament by finishing the regular season 2-1 and going 0-1 in the Big 10 tourney is maybe <30%. But if they follow that up with 1-1 in Big 10 tourney -- 17-12 overall -- puts them @ 50%. 

If they go 1-2 to finish the regular season, they would finish 9-11 in conference/16-13 season. That puts them near 10% probability unless they win the Big 10 tourney. OK, if they go to the finals, maybe 50%, But 1-2 to close out against the weak competition they face would be an indictment of their quality.

Even if they go 3-0, it's likely that they need to win at minimum one game in the Big 10 tourney to have an 80% chance to make the NCAA. Losing the first round puts them outside the bubble looking in - <40% chance. Two wins in the Big10 following 3-0...yeah, they are more than likely in: >90+%.

And I am not saying that there is no talent there, but they are all supporting players. There is no player that can put the team on its back and come away with a victory. And not having a horse to ride is not lost on the selection committee. Part of their decision comes down to what is exciting for the fans to watch. The 2021 Terps players don't fit that criterion.

But I will be rooting for them to make the tournament still. 

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I never said there are NOT a tournament team but that it is wishful thinking to believe they will make it. Good wins are negated by lots of losses. Two of those "good wins," are Ws against Minnesota. They don't look so great anymore and they won't impress the selection committee. I think the national prognosticators and you are over-emphasizing the past four games. Even after four straight wins against legendary basketball programs such as Nebraska, Rutgers and Nebraska (ahem), the team would have risen to a meager 9-10 record if not for the five cream puffs.

The probability of the Terps making the tournament by finishing the regular season 2-1 and going 0-1 in the Big 10 tourney is maybe <30%. But if they follow that up with 1-1 in Big 10 tourney -- 17-12 overall -- puts them @ 50%. 

If they go 1-2 to finish the regular season, they would finish 9-11 in conference/16-13 season. That puts them near 10% probability unless they win the Big 10 tourney. OK, if they go to the finals, maybe 50%, But 1-2 to close out against the weak competition they face would be an indictment of their quality.

Even if they go 3-0, it's likely that they need to win at minimum one game in the Big 10 tourney to have an 80% chance to make the NCAA. Losing the first round puts them outside the bubble looking in - <40% chance. Two wins in the Big10 following 3-0...yeah, they are more than likely in: >90+%.

And I am not saying that there is no talent there, but they are all supporting players. There is no player that can put the team on its back and come away with a victory. And not having a horse to ride is not lost on the selection committee. Part of their decision comes down to what is exciting for the fans to watch. The 2021 Terps players don't fit that criterion.

But I will be rooting for them to make the tournament still. 

If they go 2-1 and 0-1 in the BTT and don't make the tourney, I will venmo you $20.

Maryland has 5 Q1 wins this year, which is tied for 10th in the country.  Minnesota only counts for 1 of them because they are currently 60.  They also beat Rutgers away, Wisconsin away, Purdue at home, and Illinois at home.  We have a chance at a 6th with Penn state in State College. (41 NET away, they're unlikely to drop lower than 75 when we face them.)

That's a really solid tourney resume already, especially considering we have 0 bad losses.  This isn't exactly a team I'd consider to be a prime candidate to see the second weekend, but they have most definitely done enough to go to the tourney, and most bracketologists would agree, since they have pulled us out of the bubble at this point.  Keep in mind that this is a wacky year, and MSU, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky are all either on the bubble or dead in the water.  And because of scheduling wackiness it seems that the consensus is that the committee is going to be a little more liberal with alternative criteria when selecting tourney teams this year.

13 hours ago, Hallas said:

If they go 2-1 and 0-1 in the BTT and don't make the tourney, I will venmo you $20.

Haha! You certainly don't have to venmo me if they don't get chosen. And if the do get in with those results, I will be happy enough to be proven wrong.

Your observation about this being a wacky year is valid and that might help UMD's chances. Really hoping Duke fails to get in. 

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Haha! You certainly don't have to venmo me if they don't get chosen. And if the do get in with those results, I will be happy enough to be proven wrong.

Your observation about this being a wacky year is valid and that might help UMD's chances. Really hoping Duke fails to get in. 

Bracket Matrix has Duke as last 4 out right now.  They can still improve their resume but they've got an uphill road.

I generally agree that this isn't a very talented team, but so far (in my view) this is like the reverse Turgeon team, where his recruiting and roster construction are awful, but he somehow coaches them into a decent team.  I have to say that is a bit more satisfying than the typical Turgeon, where he recruits really well but then his team hits a brick wall in March.

• Upvote 1